Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ranking 63 Van Johnson Movies on his 100th Birthday

Some of the most successful films he was in were ensemble pictures. Like THE CAINE MUTINY; BATTLEGROUND; TILL THE CLOUDS ROLL BY and WEEK-END AT THE WALDORF. So how much of this do we attribute to his star power at the time, or to the box office draw of his costars? 

• Like 1

Hey TopBilled.  Good point.  I would say he was excellent supporting actor and a good lead actor....I would give him credit for Battleground's success....at the time he was the only star in that one...and I do not think James Whitmore became a star after the movie.  Still....for 12 years at MGM he had an awesome run.

Yes, he sure did. When I read the facts you listed about his career, I see he was with Warners for six months, before signing with MGM. Two years earlier, he worked on TOO MANY GIRLS (though he was un-billed). 

• 8 months later...

Abbott and Costello finished in 35th place with 2.70 billion in adjusted box office gross.....if you pick only the years 1941 - 1944....they do much better..as they come in 12th place using that time guideline.

Walter Brennan was a 3 time Oscar winner who helped put butts in the seats.....pretty much what Christopher Walken and Samuel L. Jackson do today.  So yes he is a supporting actor...but we did not want to exclude him from the list.

Here is our 1950s Top Stars Page.  http://www.ultimatemovierankings.com/top-movie-stars-1950s/

It has taken us over six years to research all of this data....glad it is creating some conversation.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings