Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[b]100 Memories ... 100 Thank You's[/b]

Kyle:

To the positive I would only add requesting and seeing "Annie Oakley" which I taped and have watched several times since. And, of course Dick Cavetts' interview with 'you know who' and his movies following all night.

To the negative I would eliminate a couple of items, and I still resent my late, late, Friday nights being taken away as that is my only night to stay up all night.

However, this is where the old "can't please all the people all the time' comes in so, this is not a complaint, only an opinion. It always shocks me to find someone dislikes a performer whom I adore and think is superior, so the same goes for TCM - 'To Each His Own' - sounds like a great movie title that could be shown on TCM doesn't it?

Anne

What a terrific post, Kyle and Lynn!

I don't think any-'one' could have said it better! I am happy to add my thanks for the items on this outstanding list of 2006 treats, to tcmprogrammer & staff, to TCMWebAdmin, MGMWBRKO, Robert Osborne and all the other nice people at TCM (onscreen and "behind the scenes", that I've had the pleasure to meet).

I look forward to another great year in 2007!

BTW, I get my list of TCM premieres straight from the Now Playing Guide - and sometimes a premiere is merely a new version (e.g. LBX vs. Pan & Scan) etc. - now if you could just explain the meaning of the acronym FSS ...

now if you could just explain the meaning of the acronym FSS ...

I have been wondering the same thing. So many possibilities:

"Fans of Silent Sirens"

"Filmlover's Secret Society" (so secret it is kept from me, lol)

"Fastly Slipping into Senility" (I should not only be a founding member, I should be the president)

Give us a hint.

tcmprogrammr -

Speaking for myself, (as Lynn, I am sure, will be responding herself later) I am very happy you wandered in to the message boards and had the chance to read our post.

I do hope it is read by a lot of people at TCM and not just the folks who we singled out by name. I know there are many people responsible for all the pleasures of the past year. That is why we tried to single out all the different areas of TCM in which we come in contact. If we knew more names and titles, we would have included them along with the few we do know. I know how valuable unsolicited recognition can be to the people at the top of the flow-chart and also to those who toil in the trenches. If you feel it would be worthwhile, I hope "100 Memories...100 Thank You's" gets passed around and down the chain.

If one labors on a project that is genuine and true in its motivation (such as our original post), the effort it takes is not so much work as it is pleasure. The "100 Memories...100 Thank You's" post was a pleasure. That it elicited your grateful response and that it was so well received only serves to confirm what we had already written. TCM is wonderfully un-usual.

Happy Holidays to one and all,

Kyle In Hollywood

What a wonderful overview of the past year. I'm only sorry I showed up late to the party (April). I won't make that mistake again in 2007 (especially with the excellent January that we're about to embark on*)!

Wouldn't it be swell if TCM had a credit roll at the end of the year? Some recognition for the staff?

Thanks TCM. And thanks to hlywdkjk and lzcutter who conjured this impressive list. That must have been a daunting task, and they really rose to the occasion. Bravi!

* How did preposition get at the end my sentence?

TCMProgrammr,

Glad that you could stop in today and enjoy our thread. We really wanted to highlight all the areas of TCM that we come in contact with and acknowledge that while it is not always easy, we appreciate all the work that goes into making TCM not only a great channel but a very wonderful website as well.

Thanks again to everybody at TCM for another great year.

Happy Holidays to one and all,

Lynn in Sherman Oaks

path40a -

Slumming again? Two visits from path40a in a week! Did the other Morlocks give you a weekend pass to visit your old haunts?

>What a terrific post, Kyle and Lynn! -Path40a

Thanks. I learned it from the master...a certain Morlock Master.

Kyle In Hollywood

Thanks, friends, for reminding us all of how much we have to be thankful for - especially transport to my favorite era - THE 30'S!!! My favorite moment - short but sweet - Zasu and Thelma in the H. Roach short!

How about a little three-card monte then?

Um, I think the little lady is the middle card.

It's funny, I was just put in mind of the time I went to see the movie The Full Monty in Santa Monica, and the Aero theater had set up a three-card monte game (Monty, monte, see?) outside (win and you get a free soda or something). The guy was slow at it and I was able to follow the specific card, but when he stopped and asked me to choose a card, I thought, "No, they wouldn't have hired him unless he was good at this, which means it is not the card I followed." So I chose another one and I was wrong. It was exactly where I thought it had been, after all, lol.

There is something else I will always remember about that night. I was driving home after the film and, on the radio, they announced Princess Di had been in the car crash and died.

Kyle and Liz, what a fantastic list of great memories from 2006! I join you in thanking everyone responsible at TCM for such a great channel. The Race in Film was one of my favorite months at TCM since I started watching the channel 5 years ago.

And you didn't answer filmlover's question--what IS FSS?

Sandy K

• 4 weeks later...

[nobr]Kyle & lz[/nobr]

What a great post!

1055.gif

Appy polly logies for my belated admiration to you for it; only just now have seen it.

Thanks to you both for giving out the well-deserved good vibes to wonderful TCM.

My level of appreciation echoes yours.

~Peace~

S A M

[nobr]527.gif[/nobr]

Just 100? Oh, my - February with the Oscars has, what, 356 alone, right?!

There's so much talent at work on TCM and it seems unfortunate there are no credits to those little "segue" spots, such as the animated "Sunny Side of Life" lead-in to the un-hosted morning films.

I want to walk that sidewalk, climb the steps up to one of those rowhouses, join those two ladies for coffee. The pastel-washed neighborhood reaches out to me from a time that's not only gone, but probably never really existed outside the imaginations of those savvy artists who have created the scenario and magically pulled me in. Love it!

Thank you, TCM, for giving these, and the other artists like them, a canvas upon which to paint their stories - they're gems and we're privileged to have them to enjoy.

SamTherapy -

I was wondering how this post got drug up out of the depths these boards. Should have known it was you.

Glad you read and appreciated what we wrote. We had fun. (Heck, we had to do something to pass the time while you were away.)

And it pleases me to believe that you aren't waxing nostalgic for all the TCM we mentioned and that you missed while away on your "Avventura Romana". John Ford can't quite compete with the Amalfi Coast...except to lzcutter.

Kyle In Hollywood

Caseytdog wrote -

"I want to walk that sidewalk, climb the steps up to one of those rowhouses, join those two ladies for coffee. The pastel-washed neighborhood reaches out to me from a time that's not only gone, but probably never really existed outside the imaginations of those savvy artists who have created the scenario and magically pulled me in. Love it!"

Go out and get yourself a book of Edward Hopper paintings and you can live in them anytime you like. Most of the images are pulled or adapted from his works.

And while I know you are sincere in your desires, I find it almost unfathomable anyone living in Door County would truly prefer to be somewhere else. Did you see this article this fall?

http://travel.nytimes.com/2006/10/20/realestate/20havens.html

Kyle (raised in Wisconsin but now) In Hollywood

John Ford can't quite compete with the Amalfi Coast...except to lzcutter.>>

Hey, I resemble that remark....

I've almost got Mr Cutter talked into going to Monument Valley for our milestone anniversary this year.

I know the world is filled with beautiful places but Monument Valley speaks to me in a way no other place does thanks to John Ford.

[nobr]//And it pleases me to believe that you aren't waxing nostalgic for all the TCM we mentioned and that you missed while away on your "Avventura Romana"//[/nobr] :D

bene bene ;-)

Incidentally, make that Avventura Venezia/ Firenze/ Toscana e Bressanone, cosa preziosa! ;-)

And yet, here I am immersed once again (what's my favourite flavor? - Celluloid Red, natch). B-)

Indeed, am jones-ing on seeing Broadway Gondolier this month to see what scenes of Venezia circa the 30's there can be had from it!

S A M

[nobr]527.gif[/nobr]

• 2 weeks later...

I apologise for dragging this out of the bowels of the boards tonight but over the weekend I realized that there was a glaringly stupid and emabarrasing error in the original post and I couldn't let it go uncorrected. I had to fix it or I would have driven myself crazy knowing it was there mocking me and haunting me while I was around. Like Poe, it was my Tell-Tale Post.

If any of you noticed it and were too polite to point it out, I thank you. If it slipped your notice, please dont ask what it was. I am truly ashamed and I should have my posting privileges revoked...or at least be on probation for awhile.

Thanks for indulging me. I feel better now.

Kyle In Hollywood

> If any of you noticed it and were too polite to point

> it out, I thank you. If it slipped your notice,

> please dont ask what it was. I am truly ashamed and

> I should have my posting privileges revoked...or at

> least be on probation for awhile.

>

> Thanks for indulging me. I feel better now.

>

> Kyle In Hollywood

Hey! What was it??