Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
maskedmala

Serials/Cliffhangers

Funny, I was just thinking this the other night. I love serials! Some of my favorites are Nyoka and the Tigermen, The Shadow, Chandu the Magician, Undersea Kingdom . . . well I guess I like them all no matter how bad they are! Before I really got into movies I loved serials! How about TCM show a serial Saturday matinee? Perhaps an episode or two of a certain cliffhanger before the evening features? After a few weeks they would start up another cliffhanger! I would love to see serials have an outlet for audiences to enjoy them.

That's being done right here as I pointed out on the Cartoons forum. Both Superman serials starring Kirk Alyn are being played on TCM in 5-chapter installments.

Is this something new they are starting up? Do they have any plans to show other serials sometime in the future?

It's new as far as I know. At least they haven't done it in the past eight years. And, it would be nice if they kept it up in the future, but who knows?

It's also interesting that they would show Superman as thier first serial. Being a long time fan of the movie serial I have always heard that Superman was one of the worst. Supposedly far less superior to The Adventures of Captain Marvel, which is fantastic. Perhaps they picked it because it is Superman and they want to see how much their audience responds to it. Testing the waters kind of thing. In any case I am all for it and look forward to watching.

I for one am glad that TCM is running both Superman Serials over the next 3 months, and I hope that a lot of people will watch them and after they watch them write to TCM and leave a lot of messages on the boards for them to start running more of the serials.

It is true Superman is not the first choice for me but they are ok. I would have preferred Zorros Fighting Legion or Spy Smasher or Capt. Marvel but anyone of them are fine by me I love all the old serials.

I've got over a hundred serials on video (some in bad quality, but watchable) and recently I've been upgrading to dvd off of ebay. A Saturday morning serial is what Turner has needed for years. And now they have it followed by Cartoon Alley....What more could one wish for??? Oh yeah, some of those "B" western shorts with Bill Elliott and other cowboy stars!! Quite honestly, though Superman wouldn't have been my first choice..Flash Gordon would have been a good starter, but yeah, Captain Marvel, Spy Smasher, or King of the Rocketmen would have been nice as well.

The mystery of the Superman serials on Turner is solved!!! I discovered that in November both Superman serials are being released on DVD...hopefully this won't mean that these two are the only ones they show because of this reason...

Yep, Filmlover broke the news on the Upcoming Releases thread. Of your serials on DVD, do you have any from VCI? I'm curious about the quality of them. Most of my VCI videotaped serials leave some room to be desired in terms of quality, but I've only read rave reviews about their DVDs. I know they have over 40 serials on DVD, but before I start upgrading, I want to know about their quality. Any clues?

Gerb...most of my "bad" quality tapes are 3rd or 4th generation copies, and I'm sure you know how the deterioration of quality is at that point. Those are the ones I'm basically upgrading first. The 2 Batman serials, the 2 Lone Ranger serials and about fifteen others. I've gone to ebay for my dvd's and I have to say if you're not picky about a box or fancy labeling, you can get some rather good quality stuff there. I picked up copies of The Shadow, King of the Rocketmen, Captain Marvel, Undersea Kingdom, Phantom Empire and 2 Flash Gordons for about 10 bucks each. There are a whole lot of dealers, and a wide range of prices...but I've been lucky with the people I've dealt. By the way, if you want to get into a real serial based website, try www.serialsquadron.com . They are really into serials.

Message was edited by:peabodyseven

peabodyseven

Gerb...I don't personally have them on DVD yet, but a friend of mine has 4 VCI serials on DVD, The Adventures of Rusty and Rinty, Sea Raiders, Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe, and Riders of Death Valley. I've watched them and they are all good quality productions. I would recommend them. Good luck with your collection.

Message was edited by:

peabodyseven

Thanks for the info. and the website. I'll check them both out.

Gerb

As a long time serial collector ( I have just about all of them), I can recommend the Serial Squadron as a place to go for info on serials. They also release some nice titles as well. THE LONE RANGER RIDES AGAIN is about to be released, with all the endings intact--something you can't get anywhere else. I got a number of serials off of AMC some years ago when they ran a serial at night--from beginning to end. The Republics are by far the best. The VCI serials vary in quality, depending on the print. Word is they are finalizing negotiations to release BRENDA STARR,REPORTER, a 1945 Columbia which has long been unavailable.

By the way, the Serial Squadron offers chats on Wed and Sunday nites at 9PM. We review and rate a serial every other Sunday night.