Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
cinemalover

Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Western

I would like to know what westerns you love to watch that would be considered "guilty pleasures". In other words, movies that get little or no critical acclaim but that you love to watch repeatedly nonetheless. Mine would have to be Sabata with Lee Van Cleef. It is certainly no classic, but the gadget guns, acrobats jumping off buildings and Lee's wicked smile add up to a fun movie for me. The dubbing is pretty humorous too.

Have a great holiday season!

This is not in your parameter of a little movie but I cannot get enough of 'Two Rode Together". I watch it whenever it's on, and I watch my tape all the time. I love the repartee between James Stewart and Richard Widmark, and Shirley Jones is such a cute tomboy, the whole movie just grabs me.

Anne

Well, Two Rode Together is a wonderful movie and if you get that much pleasure out of it, it can be a guilty pleasure in my book! Let me throw another guilty pleasure out there, I can't help but enjoy The Terror of Tiny Town. A western with a cast of little people riding Shetland ponies. I feel guilty for laughing at it, but i can't help myself.

McLintock ! and Two Rode Together. I also like Texas a 1940 Western starring Claire Trevor, William Holden, and Glenn Ford. George Marshall, Destry Rides Again, Directed.

Mine would be "When the Daltons Rode." Directed by George Marshall, this could have been a terrific western, except that Broderick Crawford plays the charming Dalton brother and Brian Donlevy plays the brutal one. Every time I see this movie, I get angry thinking that it should have been the other way around, and why were they too stupid to see it.

The film ends with the Daltons getting blasted to bits in Coffeyville Kansas in "death alley." It makes the film surprisingly grim, and the filmmakers had to slap on a comic frame sequence with Edgar Buchanan so the audience doesn't leave with death and destruction in their heads. An interesting, if flawed, film.

MikeBSG,

I'm not sure that I've ever seen When the Daltons Rode. But your description makes it sound interesting. I'll have to track it down. Thanks.

I've always liked WHEN THE DALTONS RODE. Crawford and Donlevy are good, but so are Stu Erwin and Frank Alberson as the other two brothers. Then there's Randolph Scott and Andy Devine. Universal made another Dalton gang film in 1945 titled THE DALTONS RIDE AGAIN, this time with Kent Taylor,Lon Chaney and Noah Beery, Jr. Entertaining, but nowhere near as good as the 1940 entry. Universal made some interesting A type westerns in the early forties like MEN OF TEXAS with Franchot Tone,TRAIL OF THE VIGILANTES with Crawford and Warren William and my favorite, BADLANDS OF DAKOTA with Richard Dix as Wild Bill Hickok and Frances Farmer as Calamity Jane. Would be nice to see some of these on TCM.

I have several copies of Roughshod, starring Robert Sterling, Gloria Grahame, Myrna Dell, John Ireland, and Claude Jarman, Jr. as Sterling's 12-14 year old brother Steve. This was a hybrid black and white film I find notable for RKO's trying to break out of the B picture mold. Consequently, despite its weak areas, the film "stretched" nobly and for that it gets my "A" for effort.

Gloria Grahame is fun to watch as the dance hall queen trying to survive as a single and soiled woman in the West. When she takes on teaching Claude Jarman his "letters'", it provides a human touch and comic relief that seemed uncommon in westerns until then and seldom seen since.

The rifle duel between Sterling and Jarman on one side of the canyon and John Ireland and his baddies on the other was well done, on par with Winchester 73's IMHO. The site provided convincing echoes for the gunfire. Ireland's final line rings down the rocks after he's been shot dead and silenced. Quite impressive for this seven-year-old in the theater and is still lodged among my favorite scenes nearly 60 years later.

Well, since I love Westerns with a passion, there are several that I consider guilty pleasures. These are movies I can watch over and over again without ever getting tired of them. One is a little-known Western called "Take Me to Town" with Ann Sheridan and Sterling Hayden. It's really a fun little picture and Ms. Sheridan even gets to sing a couple of numbers. Another is "The Guns of Fort Petticoat", which is shown often on the Westerns Channel. It's fun to see a Western with so many roles for women, which is unusual for that genre. And a third Guilty Pleasure would be "Lady of the Town" with the wonderful Claire Trevor. She makes every movie she is in seem even better, just because she is there.

Terrence.

Terrence,

I share your love of westerns and I've never even heard of Take Me To Town. Thanks for the tip. I'll have to watch for it. I always enjoy "discovering" a new, entertaining western.

> This is not in your parameter of a little movie but I

> cannot get enough of 'Two Rode Together". I watch it

> whenever it's on, and I watch my tape all the time.

> I love the repartee between James Stewart and

> Richard Widmark, and Shirley Jones is such a cute

> tomboy, the whole movie just grabs me.

>

> Anne

In " John Ford - The Complete Films " by Scott Eyman 0n page 167 Ford is quoted as saying that " Two Rode Together " was ' the worst piece of crap I've done in twenty years ". I think it is a near classic. " Texas " starring Claire Trevor, William Holden, and Glenn Ford is one of my " guilty pleasure Western ". Very funny directed by George Marshall of " Destry Rides Again " and the great "Murder, He Says " with Fred MacMurray, Helen walker, Marjorie Main, and Port Hall.

Any Hopalong Cassidy or Roy Rogers "B" western.A company named U.S. Television Office has the rights to about 40 of the 66 Hopalong Cassidy movies William Boyd made and a few years ago put 5 movies on a D.V.D. for about 7 bucks.you may still be able to get them if you order through Best Buy.com and write Hopalong Cassidy in the search box.

One of my guilty pleasure westerns is 1971's Blindman with Tony Anthony & Ringo Starr. Inspired lunacy ;-)

Tony Anthony is the iconic philosophical Blindman, he wears a floppy sombrero with a cartridge belt hat band, a patchwork duster with one sleve missing, he has a Winchester rifle that has an extended magazine that comes to a point making it double as a walking stick/cane. He uses a braille map and compass. He wears a leather sign around his neck that he can flip open that reads Blind Man on top and the equivalent in Italian below. He has a seeing eye horse named "Boss" which takes him where he wants to go... when he asks for directions he tells whoever he's asking to "tell the horse".

"Boss" is some talented horse the whole credits sequence and about the first 4 minutes features the antics of this extraordinary steed.

Besides all this he's got extraordinary hearing and somewhat of a sixth sence and can mow down the baddies as he detects them, this ladies & gentelmen, is the essence of a good SW. Its done well enough that you suspend belief, its a good flick.

He enters a cantina with his Winchester in his out stretched hand so naturally enery one scatters as he swings the thing around. When he gets a room for the night he swings the rifle around and breaks a mirror, lol.

The story is he's got a contract to deliver 50 mail order brides to a bunch of miners in Lost Creek, Texas. He arrives in the town of Big Inch to collect them but finds out that a bandito/pimp named Domingo has hijacked them to work in a bordello that he runs with his sister "Sweet Mama". They are pimping them to the Mexican Army.

Domingo's brother is "Candy" played by Ringo Starr, he fancies a gringo blond and she is his undoing. Ringo does a great job with his character

Well, Cinemalover, I hope you get an opportunity to see "Take Me to Town" sometime. It's really very entertaining. I taped it from AMC several years ago, but it's not shown very often. For some reason, TCM does not show many of Universal's Westerns. And that's too bad, because they made so many during the 1940's and 1950's. Movies with Rock Hudson, Jeff Chandler, Rory Calhoun, George Nader, and Audie Murphy. Oh well, one can only hope.

Terrence.