Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
maskedmala

Columbia's mystery series

How about those great b mvie series produced by Columbia pictures, series like: Boston ****, Crime Doctor, Ellery Queen, Lone Wolf, Thatcher Colt, I love a mystery,...

Don't forget The Whistler series that starred Richard Dix and which featured several entries that were directed by William Castle. I've seen only two Whistler thrillers, and I immensely enjoyed them. I wish Columbia (or whoever owns the rights to them) would release them on video and DVD . . . not to mention to television.

I'd love to see any of those.

I read a lot of old mysteries, and enjoy seeing old mystery movies whenever I can.

It's frustrating knowing these movies exist and they're not available.

I worry that these old films--the B movies--are out there decaying in a warehouse somewhere.

The big famous A pictures (Casablanca, Citizen Cane, Mildred Pierce, et al) seem to

be well cared for, but what about these others?

TCM has some of the Boston **** films coming up soon (Cinemax showed all 14 Boston **** films a few years ago and TCM is only showing 8 of them), also the Falcon and The Saint. I'd like to see more of these detective series films, including the Michael Shayne series (AMC unfortunately owns the first Shayne movie, but the others probably are available if TCM can get the rights to show them); also the Shadow films with Kane Richmond, The Mr. Moto, Charlie Chan, Mr. Wong with Boris Karloff, The Lone Wolf, Ellery Queen, etc.

Message was edited by:

William735

The Columbia detective films are great, indeed. It's been my good fortune over the past 20 years to collect every one available. It would also be nice to see the Ralph Bellamy/William Gargan ELLERY QUEEN films and the later Columbia's like the BULLDOG DRUMMOND,LONE WOLF (Gerald Mohr/Ron Randell) movies and MR. DISTRICT ATTORNEY with Dennis O'Keefe and Adolphe Menjou. Also Menjou in NIGHT CLUB LADY--a Thatcher Colt mystery from 1932. Maybe even its follow-up CIRCUS QUEEN murder. And don't forget those terrific INSPECTOR TRENT movies from 1934-5 with Ralph Bellamy--my favorites. There is a goldmine out there for those willing to take up pick and shovel and do a little digging.

Just stumbled accidentally upon the info that George Sanders and Tom Conway had a third brother (John Clark?) who briefly also played The Falcon. Does anyone have any knowledge of this? We never missed The Saint, The Falcon, Boston ****, Mike Shayne, The Whistler or any of the old mystery series, since we went to the movies EVERY Saturday night all through the 30's and 40's. Then off to the drugstore afterwards for a soda or shake. What a great family tradition that was!

The third person who played the Falcon was John Calvert, a stage magician and sometime film actor. As far as I know, he is not related to Sanders and Conway. He made 3 FALCON films in 1947--APPOINTMENT WITH MURDER,SEARCH FOR DANGER and THE DEVIL'S CARGO.