Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Silent Film Buff Alert: A Kiss for Cinderella

TomJH

I have yet to watch it but there is a rare print of A Kiss for Cinderella (1926) currently available on You Tube. This adaption of a James M. Barrie story stars Betty Bronson, fresh off her success the previous year as Peter Pan, another adaption of a Barrie tale.

A Kiss for Cinderella was, apparently, a magical visual treat that has been compared to Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast. The film's final scene has been equated to the final scene in Chaplin's City Lights for its power. Unfortunately the one known 35mm print of it was allowed to deteriorate before a preservation copy was made. Film historian William K. Everson called that act "a cultural crime."

What is available on You Tube now is pretty visually grim, I admit. Who knows the source, but this may well be the only way that most of us will have a chance to see the film now.

From Wiki:

A Kiss for Cinderella (1925) is a silent fantasy taken from the stage play by James M. Barrie. The film stars Betty Bronson and Tom Moore and was made at Paramount's Astoria Studios in Astoria, Queens. The film is based on the 1916 play which starred stage actress Maude Adams in the Bronson role.[

Herbert Brenon directed as he had directed the 1924 film version of Barrie's Peter Pan which also starred Bronson. Tom Moore had previously costarred in The Cinderella Man for Goldwyn in 1917 alongside Mae Marsh.

Surviving print of this film is preserved at the Museum of Modern Art, New York, George Eastman House and UCLA Film and TV as well as a foreign archive Cinematheque Royale de Belgique(Brussels)

ea5d235d060097c9ad5393a32cfac6b9.jpg

180px-A_Kiss_for_Cinderella_1925.jpg

• Like 4

A Masterpiece! As are many of Herbert Brenon's Silent features. He was a brilliant director. I'm a huge fan of Betty Bronson. I've longed to see both this movie and the 1926 BEAU GESTE lovingly restored and made available on official DVD and Blu-ray

Kino-lorber has just announced that they have licensed a handful of Silents from the Paramount Library. Titles have yet to be disclosed. However, William Wellman's BEGGARS OF LIFE (1928) with Louise Brooks and Richard Arlen seems to be one of them. Hopefully they will put out A KISS FOR CINDERELLA and BEAU GESTE at some point. The rights to THE WEDDING MARCH were previously leased to Criterion though they have yet to release an edition. It would be great to see some Pola Negri and Gloria Swanson titles in the deal. Especially Brenon's THE SPANISH DANCER (1923), recently restored only a few years ago by EYE institute Netherlands. And Gloria's STAGE STRUCK (1925).

Another long awaited Paramount Silent, the highly elusive CHILDREN OF DIVORCE (1927) with Clara Bow, Esther Ralston, Gary Cooper, and Einar Hanson is expected to be released by Flicker Alley on both DVD and Blu-ray before the end of the year. Maybe late November or early December. Rodney Sauer and Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra just finished recording it's new score for that picture only a few days ago.

• Like 1

A Masterpiece! As are many of Herbert Brenon's Silent features. He was a brilliant director. I'm a huge fan of Betty Bronson. I've longed to see both this movie and the 1926 BEAU GESTE lovingly restored and made available on official DVD and Blu-ray

Kino-lorber has just announced that they have licensed a handful of Silents from the Paramount Library. Titles have yet to be disclosed. However, William Wellman's BEGGARS OF LIFE (1928) with Louise Brooks and Richard Arlen seems to be one of them. Hopefully they will put out A KISS FOR CINDERELLA and BEAU GESTE at some point. The rights to THE WEDDING MARCH were previously leased to Criterion though they have yet to release an edition. It would be great to see some Pola Negri and Gloria Swanson titles in the deal. Especially Brenon's THE SPANISH DANCER (1923), recently restored only a few years ago by EYE institute Netherlands. And Gloria's STAGE STRUCK (1925).

Another long awaited Paramount Silent, the highly elusive CHILDREN OF DIVORCE (1927) with Clara Bow, Esther Ralston, Gary Cooper, and Einar Hanson is expected to be released by Flicker Alley on both DVD and Blu-ray before the end of the year. Maybe late November or early December. Rodney Sauer and Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra just finished recording it's new score for that picture only a few days ago.

Great news about Children of Divorce, gagman. I will definitely be looking for that one. Also good to know that Kino has leased some Paramount titles. Those three titles cited would all be outstanding. I'm a particularly big fan of Beggars of Life.

I was a bit disappointed by the quality of the print of The Wedding March shown on TCM recently, though naturally I appreciate the channel showing whatever they could of the film.

I've yet to see a really good looking print of Valentino's The Eagle, an adventure that is a particular favourite of mine. Nor does TCM ever show this one, though other Valentinos do come on the channel with some frequency. The Eagle, though, ranks as one of his two best, in my opinion, along with Son of the Sheik.

EDIT: Looking up Flicker Alley on line about the Children of Divorce release, I only saw reference to it coming out on Blu-Ray. I couldn't find anything about a DVD release, as well.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings