Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bansi4

TCM REMEMBERS

I just got a look at TCM Remembers honoring all the celebrities that past away thia past year.

It was quite impressive although it was sad to see all those who we lost.

I doubt if there will be as much of a fuss as there was in last years tribute.

The song also seems to be appropriate.

Tastefully done!

Marian Marsh, Elizabeth Allen, Jack Warden, Anthony Franciosa, Tamara Dobson, Sven Nykvist, Red Buttons, Alida Valli, Mickey Spillane, Gordon Parks, Gillo Pontecorvo, Robert Donner, Darren McGavin, Mako, Robert Cornthwaite, Richard Bright, Joseph Stefano, Barnard Hughes, Adrienne Shelly, Chris Penn, Vincent Schiavelli, Arthur Hill, Henry Bumstead, Jane Wyatt, Jack Wild, Paul Gleason, Malcom Arnold, Betty Comden, Vincent Sherman, Fayard Nicholas, Moira Shearer, Ken Richmond, Peter Benchley, Robert Earl Jones, Dennis Weaver, Richard Fleischer, Don Knotts, Jack Palance, Peter Boyle, Maureen Stapleton, Bruno Kirby, Robert Altman, June Allyson, Glenn Ford, and Shelley Winters

> I doubt if there will be as much of a fuss as there

> was in last years tribute.

> The song also seems to be appropriate.

I saw it last night as well and I thought it was well done. I didn't have TCM last year would you be so kind to describe what they did then?

SPTO,

Go here:

http://www.raygun.com/

This is the company that does alot of the promos for TCM. Click on the TCM remembers banner, it will take you to another page and about half way down are the remembrance montages for 2003, 2004 and 2005. Click on each one to view.

I'm going to go turn on TCM, hoping to catch this year's promo before "The Bad Seed"

Thanks for the link cutter. I can see why that was controversial. I liked the song and the message but the imagery really degraded those that had departed.

It was a good idea just poorly executed. Good thing they went the safe route this year.

When we lose an actor we feel the loss mightily, whether they were a favorite or not, but I just saw the TCM Remembers slot for the first time, and we lost quite a few good people this past year. I hope the Oscar awards show does as good a job as this one.

lzcutter:

I tried to click the link you gave, but it says to click to connect the 'extra' stuff, which I did, but it didn't work. Is there any way to see last year's slot without going thru the link? All of my media things are working fine and so is my Norton, so I don't know what the problem is.

Anne

I saw the TCM Remembers spot this morning. I think it is lovely and haunting. I was surprised at how many of the people in it seemed to have died before their time. I forget how old actors like Don Knotts and Maureen Stapleton were. What a lovely photo of Betty Comden they used, also.

Sandy K

The in memoriam spot was beautifully composed. I was especially struck by the carefully chosen clips and still photographs that were woven seamlessly into this year's TCM Remembers. The ones of Maureen Stapleton, Red Buttons, (who may never have looked handsomer), Jack Warden and Glenn Ford were especially haunting. Nice job, & thank goodness they got it just right this time.

What! No Buck Owens???

Oh...movie people only? Well, wasn't there a big screen adaptation of "Hee Haw" in the '70s?

No?

Seriously, it sounds like a classy tribute and I can't wait to see it.

I want to see this short (I always enjoy remembering these great talents who have left our stead), but I'm not really able to watch TCM during the day. My mom has control of the remote during the day and my brother assumes it in the evenings. Is there any way to know when this will be popping up next? Failing that, will it available on the Raygun website anytime soon?

The good news is that Raygun has the last few years "TCM Remembers" (2003, 2004 and 2005) available for viewing on their website.

While the 2006 is NOT (at least that I can see) available via their website yet, I would imagine it will join the others in a few weeks when it is not running as often on TCM.

It's ironic that ex husband and wife Anthony Franciosa and Shelley Winters died within months of each other in the same year.

Of course I'm gonna miss a very favorite of mine, Maureen Stapleton.

For those who want to view the piece on the TCM website, hopefully this is the link:

http://www.tcm.com/multimedia/featuredmovieclips.jsp

I saw it first here on the website and then caught it just before "Royal Wedding". I really like this piece but recommend seeing it on TCM to fully appreciate it.

The song is "Press On" by Robin Ella.

Hopefully, TCM will show the holiday "Into the Forest" promo over the next few days.

Happy Holidays

I just saw it and I really enjoyed it. Several things could've been done differently. For example, since they both starred in "City Slickers", maybe they could've taken a scene from that movie with both Jack Palance and Bruno Kirby in it and put them together. For another example, I think that they could've used a scene from "The Breakfast Club" or "Die Hard" to go with the mention of Paul Gleason.

Other than that, it was a great piece of work and a good tribute to all the talents who have left our stead.

Caps,

I suspect that they tried to use clips from films that they have leased and have available to use.

Other films such as City Slickers or Die Hard, etc, they probably don't have on lease so they would have to pay by the second for the footage used in the clip and that can get pretty pricey very quickly, especially when you are on a budget.

That's just a thought,

I just want to add my two cents regarding this years segment. I have to say, it's a lot better and much more appropriate than last years. I enjoyed the song as well. And we can always count on TCM to mention the more forgotten stars that the regular media leaves out. MSNBC had a nice pictorial tribute to stars who have passed, but they failed to mention many of the stars that TCM befittingly included. And regarding the presentation of it, perhaps TCM paid attention to the high level of negative feedback that they received from last years tribute which was not half as respectful as this one is.

Perhaps this was already mentioned, but I just noticed the use of the gong effect in the song ("Press On") and how beautifully it works as an homage to Ken Richmond. He was the 6'5" wrestler who struck the gong before the opening credits for the British J. Arthur Rank Studio pictures. During the TCM Remembers piece, it uses the footage of Mr. Richmond hitting the gong just as the gong is struck during the song. He passed away last August 3. RIP Mr. Richmond and nicely done TCM!

I just saw the TCM Remembers piece for the first time the other day and once again today and I found it beautifully moving.........I didn't realize that the person who struck the gong was yet another who had passed away but remember that moment as being so sad and almost symbolic....I had never heard the song before but it was an EXCELLENT choice.

Does anyone know who does the song in the TCM remembers? its beatiful and i like to buy it

thx

I agree with this being a really beautiful piece....one of the reasons I watch the Oscars every year is for the memoriam section and I don't know how they could outdo TCM. I have not seen the ones from TCM in years past so I can't compare, but this is a lovely, poignant tribute.....

Speaking of the 'In memoriam' section during the Oscars....

I would hope they would do a special piece on Robert Altman.

I will be upset if they don't.