Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rudy Van Gelder November 2, 1924--August 25, 2016

slaytonf

Who is this man?  Most people won't know, but he is one of the most important influences in modern music.  There is no one more vital in shaping the sound of jazz, and by extension all other recorded music.  As a recording engineer, he had no role in the composition of the music, or the arrangements, but it was his skill at capturing the sound of the musicians and his mixing that formed the final sound.  His recordings, first at his parent's living room in Hackensack, New Jersey, then in a home studio of his design, comprise the most iconic in jazz.  Even if you don't know jazz very well, you will no doubt be familiar with many of the songs he recorded, as they have made their way into the soundtrack of contemporary life, and (sigh) commercials.   He worked with all the great composers and musicians, and for many major studios--best remembered for that with Blue Note records.

So what does this have to do with movies?  Though not directly (he does have an IMDB page!), as jazz music has been a part of movies, so has Mr. Gelder.  And as his work has shaped the sound of music in the world, so has it shaped the sound of music in movies.

• Like 2

Also, earlier in the week, jazz harmonica legend Toots Thielmans passed away at 94.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/23/arts/music/toots-thielemans-jazz-harmonica-player-is-dead.html

Besides appearing on the Midnight Cowboy (1969) soundtrack as mentioned in the obit, I remember his playing on the soundtrack of Chilly Scenes of Winter (1979)

He was one of a kind.

• Like 1

Also, earlier in the week, jazz harmonica legend Toots Thielmans passed away at 94.

Besides appearing on the Midnight Cowboy (1969) soundtrack as mentioned in the obit, I remember his playing on the soundtrack of Chilly Scenes of Winter (1979)

He was one of a kind.

Toots was one of a kind.   He was a fine jazz guitar player as well.    I recall seeing him on Johnny Carson when he was in the mist of his '15 minutes' due to his movie soundtrack work.    I had a few of his albums where he would play both instruments,  one with jazz legend Joe Pass.     

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings