Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sidney Toler as Charlie Chan

Lentcm

Sidney Toler portrayed Charlie Chan in 22 movies and in 6 years I've only seen 3 of them on TCM. Why can't TCM show the other 19?

As Lawrence says check out the other link;   one major reason is that TCM doesn't lease a lot of 20th Century Fox films because Fox has their own competing networks.     What we do NOT know if how much 'PC' is in play here, if any, as well.   

I think Toler only did 11 Chan movies.  Warner Oland did 16.  Roland Winters did a few after those two ended their run.

Saw many of them on Late, Late shows when I started on the afternoon shift at GM, and nothing else on TV when I got home. (except the occasional "Starman" movies).

Many others on Sunday matinees when I was in my teens.

However, I think that after so many Fox dropped the franchise and MONOGRAM started making them, so what's the deal with TCM and Monogram?

Sepiatone

I think Toler only did 11 Chan movies.  Warner Oland did 16.  Roland Winters did a few after those two ended their run.

Saw many of them on Late, Late shows when I started on the afternoon shift at GM, and nothing else on TV when I got home. (except the occasional "Starman" movies).

Many others on Sunday matinees when I was in my teens.

However, I think that after so many Fox dropped the franchise and MONOGRAM started making them, so what's the deal with TCM and Monogram?

Sepiatone

The Monogram titles are in the TCM/Turner library. That's why we see all those Bowery Boys movies on Saturday mornings. 

TCM has aired some of the Monogram Charlie Chan films, but it's been a while.

• Like 1

What we do NOT know if how much 'PC' is in play here, if any, as well.   

I hate Charlie Chan & especially Toler's portrayal. I find the broken Engrish insulting, while number one son speaks just fine.

At the time I started watching them, none of that "PC" stuff bothered me.  I just took it in stride that it was what Hollywood did.  MY fun in watching them was in trying to figure out "whodunnit", before Chan did.   Never worked.

In fact, there WAS no such THING as "political correctness" at the time I started enjoying the Chan movies.

Sepiatone

Two more of the Monogram Charlie Chan films were added to Amazon Prime, meaning three of them are now available for streaming:

BLACK MAGIC (a.k.a. MEETING AT MIDNIGHT)...previously mentioned in this thread

THE SCARLET CLUE

CHARLIE CHAN IN THE SECRET SERVICE

All of them star Sidney Toler. Excellent prints.

At the time I started watching them, none of that "PC" stuff bothered me.  I just took it in stride that it was what Hollywood did.  MY fun in watching them was in trying to figure out "whodunnit", before Chan did.   Never worked.

In fact, there WAS no such THING as "political correctness" at the time I started enjoying the Chan movies.

Sepiatone

Wasn't the Production Code a form of political correctness?    

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings