Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gene Wilder has died

I'm very sorry to hear this. Gene Wilder achieved a peak in comic brilliance when working with Mel Brooks in The Producers and Young Frankenstein ("That's Fronkensteen").

Every time I'm in Toronto's Union Station I think of him and Richard Pryor when I walk near the washroom (recently torn down) where in 1976 they filmed the scene in Silver Streak in which Wilder was taught how to be "black." When the washroom existed I used to visit it like a pilgrimage to Wilder and Pryor. Up until a few years ago the washroom looked much as it had in the movie.

• Like 6

:(

It says that he passed away from complications of Alzheimer's Disease.  That is a horrific disease, so I am glad he is free from its clutches, but still...

Not Gene Wilder! 

He will always be "Dr. Fronkensteen" to me. 

• Like 4

Only yesterday I was reading one of those clickbait "Whatever Happened to?" articles that caught up with Wilder--

After getting through both Gilda Radner's bout with cancer and his own, he'd pretty much dropped out after his brief "comeback" (which never got any better than "See No Evil, Hear No Evil"), but said he was happier in retirement:  "I still love the Show, I just don't like the Business."

And any argument about who was the better Willy Wonka was cemented by Wilder explaining that he only took the '71 role if they let him do that fake-out somersault scene..."Because we would never completely know whether or not to trust him after that."

Roald Dahl complained because he'd written Wonka for a manic Spike Milligan (just imagine half of Wonka's Shakespearean quotes in Milligan's "Whatwhatwhatwhatwhat?" voice), but Wilder's calm deadpan was even brilliantly crazier-like-a-fox.

• Like 4

You will be missed severely Mr. Wilder. You were always there with a witty remark that would make the most saddest of days happy. You were the best possible Willy Wonka and very deservedly earned your reputation as an actor in The Producers, Young Frankenstein, your collaborations with Richard Pryor and Blazing Saddles. Thank you for the memories. :(

• Like 1

Lerner and Loewe ended their brilliant career with a sweet musical version of the French classic The Little Prince by Saint Exupéry. The Little Prince is a book for everyone, children, adults and beginning French students.

The Little Prince becomes friends with a wild fox by taming (apprivoiser)

him. It's the sweetest story in the book.

Gene Wilder made this story come alive by acting as the tamed wild fox--

I can't think of any other actor who could have pulled that off so convincingly.

The Little Prince was a musical and Gene Wilder acted the part, while singing and dancing.

Many people remember him as a great comedian, but he was also an all-around old -fashioned type movie star who could do everything.

That kind of talent we don't see too much of anymore.

• Like 1

How sad. I wish they'd find a cure for this disease. I did not realize he was that old. :(

Yeah, at the end of the day, I believe in God....but Alzheimer's SUCKS SO HARD that I have to admit it has made me question the existence of a higher power and a grander scheme from time to time.

• Like 2

Yeah, at the end of the day, I believe in God....but Alzheimer's SUCKS SO HARD that I have to admit it has made me question the existence of a higher power and a grander scheme from time to time.

So, when ya wake up in the morning you don't, but later on, and say, oh about 6 or 7 in the evening you do. Is that about it, Lorna? ;)

(...sorry, couldn't resist...and R.I.P. Gene...loved your zaniness) 

Lerner and Loewe ended their brilliant career with a sweet musical version of the French classic The Little Prince by Saint Exupéry. The Little Prince is a book for everyone, children, adults and beginning French students.

The Little Prince becomes friends with a wild fox by taming (apprivoiser)

him. It's the sweetest story in the book.

Gene Wilder made this story come alive by acting as the tamed wild fox--

To wit:

(If the story itself wasn't so mushy, I'd say it was one of the last good Lerner & Lowe musicals from the 70's post-Oliver decline of big G-rated musicals, but pretty much only for the scene where Richard Kiley as the Aviator brings his full La Mancha on the title tune.)

• Like 1

TCM has already announced a TCM Remembers tribute.  It was announced on their Facebook page.

Thursday, September 29, 2016 Primetime.

All times EST.

8:00pm Role Model: Gene Wilder

9:15pm Young Frankenstein

11:15pm Role Model: Gene Wilder

12:30am Start the Revolution Without Me

2:15am The Frisco Kid

4:30am Bonnie and Clyde

• Like 9

TCM has already announced a TCM Remembers tribute.  It was announced on their Facebook page.

All times EST.

Thanks for the info. Gene was a guest programmer on June 17, 2014 and this is what TCM aired that evening:

GUEST PROGRAMMER GENE WILDER

8:00 p.m. Random Harvest (1942)

10:15 p.m. The Merry Widow (1934)

12:15 a.m. Witness for the Prosecution (1958)

2:30 a.m. Dark Victory (1939)

4:30 a.m. Role Model: Gene Wilder (2008)

• Like 3

All times EST.

Wow,  I admit I'm surprised given that Wilder wasn't a studio-era movie actor (Ok,  B & C is at the tail end) and TCM is often slow to react even for those types.

Wow,  I admit I'm surprised given that Wilder wasn't a studio-era movie actor (Ok,  B & C is at the tail end) and TCM is often slow to react even for those types.

I was surprised it was announced so quickly.

Looking at the current schedule, it seems that Gene Wilder bumped the "Starring Frankie Avalon" evening.  As much as I love teen beach movies, this was probably a good theme to replace.

• Like 2

So, when ya wake up in the morning you don't, but later on, and say, oh about 6 or 7 in the evening you do. Is that about it, Lorna? ;)

(...sorry, couldn't resist...and R.I.P. Gene...loved your zaniness)

Hee hee.

( I have certain catch phrases I use, probably too much, and " at the end of the day" is most certainly one of them.)

Really though, it should be the other way around. At the start of the day I'm a Deist, but after dealing with people for a few hours I'm a full-fledged atheist with no faith in humanity by noon.

(2 pm on a good day.)

• Like 4

Terribly sad news indeed. When my brother phoned me with the news, I said, "Now he's reunited with his sweet Gilda." My brother said, "I knew you'd say that."

Gene Wilder and Gilda Radner both had the one quality that makes a truly great clown: comic vulnerability, otherwise known as HEART. Even doing the wildest slapstick, they both had a certain sweetness that made you love them.

TCM's slapstick programming, this September, will be bittersweet.

• Like 1

All times EST.

He was in Bonnie and Clyde????

Oh, I think I remember now. He was the kidnapped man? (edited)