Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gene Wilder has died

I heard something on the car radio about the death of Gene in which they quoted his brother in law who said that while Gene would  often do characters on screen who went into hysterics and wild that off screen it was GILDA who was the outgoing one, and Gene was mostly calm, quiet and reserved.

Sepiatone

Mel Brooks on the passing of Gene Wilder

The combination of Brooks and Wilder provided us with such magnificent heights in comedy madness. There simply aren't enough words to adequately describe the laughing hysterics that these two men have given the world when they worked together.

We may have just lost Gene, but I don't ever want to hear that we don't have crazy Mel Brooks around to give us laughter.

tumblr_n46x2fWlgi1sq1usxo1_500.gif

• Like 3

My God, I had no idea Wilder was the voice of Letterman! And Joan Rivers was the narrator? I'm totally of the generation Electric Company was aimed at. I never missed it. It came on my local PBS station immediately after Sesame Street every weekday morning. Even once I was old enough to start school, I still watched it in the summer for at least a couple of years before I switched to game shows. My ears just never picked up Wilder's voice. If I'd known back then that Willy Wonka was also Letterman, my brain probably would have exploded! It would have been too much for my little mind to handle! My two absolute childhood favorites were THE SAME GUY? I'm having a hard time processing it right now, even though I'm old. I didn't see this mentioned in any Wilder obit, so thank you, EricJ, for bringing this to my attention. Finding out little trivia tidbits like this was much harder, if not impossible, in those days before the Internet.

• Like 1

We may have just lost Gene, but I don't ever want to hear that we don't have crazy Mel Brooks around to give us laughter.

No worries THERE, Tom!

I mean, did ya SEE the 90 year old Mel bouncin' around like some 20-somethin' there, and like when he popped out of that chair and did his Hitler thing with his comb?

(...nope, the guy'll probably out-live us all) ;)

I heard something on the car radio about the death of Gene in which they quoted his brother in law who said that while Gene would  often do characters on screen who went into hysterics and wild that off screen it was GILDA who was the outgoing one, and Gene was mostly calm, quiet and reserved.

Sepiatone

Interesting, I did not know that about him. Maybe it was easier for him to be outgoing on camera than it was in real life.

This is why I think TCM should take more time to do the tributes.  And scheduel them for before they publish Now Playing Guide so they can be included in the Guide.

I'm a train buff, so I'm biased, but I think Silver Streak was one of his best.  It was a comedy, but somehow managed to be a fairly serious mystery/drama as well.

Similar for me, except I don't know so much that I'm just a train buff, but I like anything where people are in confined spaces.  Eg. Stagecoach, Lifeboat, etc.  But I think Silver Streak is way up there.  Didn't know it was filmed in Chicago.

No worries THERE, Tom!

I mean, did ya SEE the 90 year old Mel bouncin' around like some 20-somethin' there, and like when he popped out of that chair and did his Hitler thing with his comb?

(...nope, the guy'll probably out-live us all) ;)

Brooks did show an extraordinary amount of energy in that interview, didn't he? Comes from a positive attitude and a refusal to let the negatives in life weigh him down. Plus he probably eats a lot of oysters, which keeps him ready for you-know-what.

Please pardon me as I post the following video on a tribute thread to Gene Wilder. My suspicion is that Gene would love to see this spontaneous television moment, as well, as Mel and Annie Bancroft sing Sweet Georgia Brown in Polish:

There must have been a million laughs in this marriage.

Just also checke'd out your (movie collectors corner) how long have you been collecting???

Hi, I have been watching TCM and buying DVDs for about 10 years or more, and seriously collecting for about 5 years.  That is mostly due to advances and availability in commodity (affordable) consumer technology.  Just to be fair to the film collectors out there, I don't actually have any movies on film, just on video.  The database project that you saw is an offshoot of that.

Similar for me, except I don't know so much that I'm just a train buff, but I like anything where people are in confined spaces.  Eg. Stagecoach, Lifeboat, etc.  But I think Silver Streak is way up there.  Didn't know it was filmed in Chicago.

Part of it was filmed in a Toronto railway washroom, as well.

• Like 1

As so many have already said here, Gene Wilder was both lovable and funny. He had a particular quality to his voice - he could sound really manic sometimes, and sweet and vulnerable other times. A true comic.

My favourite Gene Wilder film is Young Frankenstein. God, what a funny movie. 

• Like 4

My God, I had no idea Wilder was the voice of Letterman! And Joan Rivers was the narrator? I'm totally of the generation Electric Company was aimed at. I never missed it. It came on my local PBS station immediately after Sesame Street every weekday morning. Even once I was old enough to start school, I still watched it in the summer for at least a couple of years before I switched to game shows. My ears just never picked up Wilder's voice. If I'd known back then that Willy Wonka was also Letterman, my brain probably would have exploded! It would have been too much for my little mind to handle! My two absolute childhood favorites were THE SAME GUY? I'm having a hard time processing it right now, even though I'm old. I didn't see this mentioned in any Wilder obit, so thank you, EricJ, for bringing this to my attention. Finding out little trivia tidbits like this was much harder, if not impossible, in those days before the Internet.

Heh....

I didn't know that either.  That IS interesting.  My kids used to watch THE ELECTRIC COMPANY after SESAME STREET all the time too.  WE(my kids and I) were somehow drawn to the character "Easy Reader" who as we all now know, was portrayed by MORGAN FREEMAN.  That GENE was also a part of that show makes me miss it MORE now!

Sepiatone

Blazing Saddles and Willy Wonka...  are being released to theaters this weekend. The AMC chain will offer tickets at $5.00 for both features. That's cool. No info on other theaters.

I have to laugh at how quick they are to make a buck off of this. Maybe they should offer a golden ticket, lol.

I have to laugh at how quick they are to make a buck off of this. Maybe they should offer a golden ticket, lol.

This one is on the theater chains, not the studios. Upon hearing of Gene Wilder's death they began requesting the movies.

I like your idea of a golden ticket.

:)

This one is on the theater chains, not the studios. Upon hearing of Gene Wilder's death they began requesting the movies.

Also that they leaped so quickly onto the idea of special screenings, even though both movies were already available on disk.

"Profitable", maybe, but it's not like there was anything else much playing in theaters before Labor Day, so why not do some good public service?

I have to laugh at how quick they are to make a buck off of this.  

Yes, it makes you wonder if this will start a new trend-- if Mel Gibson dies unexpectedly, will MAD MAX and LETHAL WEAPON head back into theaters?

Yes, it makes you wonder if this will start a new trend-- if Mel Gibson dies unexpectedly, will MAD MAX and LETHAL WEAPON head back into theaters?

Given Warner, highly, HIGHLY likely.

But again, let's polish the silver lining here:  At least studios and theater chains are showing more reason to leap onto TCM Fathom's bandwagon and fill cineplexes with Old Movies You Should Be Watching If You're a Millennial.

Most of the time, they just show Old Movies You Do Watch If You're a Millennial, like Blues Brothers, Princess Bride and Ferris Bueller, but if circumstances can help push studios toward making digital prints of more and more AFI 100 classics, than that means there will be more to show in theaters.

The changeover from film to digital came at the same time as Warner led the stubborn charge that "Audiences don't care anymore!", and the sudden lack of screenable theatrical prints combined to put us in the middle of a cinematic Dark Age.