Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Disney Vault

JamesStewartFan95

I take it there was more interesting stuff in there than Al Capone's vault.   :lol:

8pm - Tugboat Mickey/Boat Builders (shorts)

8:30 - Treasure Island

10:15 - Davy Crockett & the River Pirates

11:45 - Disneyland Around the Seasons

1am - Those Calloways

3:30 - A Country Coyote Goes Hollywood (TV)

4:15 - Midnight Madness

Not exactly what you'd call "Vault" Vault, since most of those movies are still on disk, and you can find on Vudu VOD:  http://www.vudu.com/movies/#!content/30673/The-Moon-Spinners

Think the Disneyland movie is the only real "Vault" rarity.

(Treasure Island and Davy Crockett movies are on Blu-ray, but only as Disney Movie Club exclusives.)

At least, not in the sense that the two Fantasia movies are still showing on Netflix, and officially Vaulted from disk at the moment.

• Like 1

Highly recommend THOSE CALLOWAYS.

Most of this stuff is on DVD. I just borrowed THE BOYS from the library, the story of Robert & Richard Sherman, the long time songwriters for Disney.

There seems to be a push of Disney historical movies lately; SAVING MR BANKS, WAKING SLEEPING BEAUTY, WALT & EL GRUPO. I quite like them because every one of them are familiar stories (if you follow film history) but they are really fleshed out with interviews and old film footage.

Didn't TCM recently show WALT & EL GRUPO along with the South American films that were produced? I think that makes interesting & innovative programming.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I wish they also showed on this block are the animated feature films, like Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937), Cinderella (1950), and Bambi (1942). Films like these are fitting for the channel.

They would, but those actually ARE in the Disney Vault, and don't come out except once every seven years.  

(Except for Fantasia on Netflix, but there's some debate about whether it's on the Vault list or not.)

• Like 1

I hope they get around to showing MAKE MINE MUSIC , FUN AND FANCY FREE and MELODY TIME as they were shown in the theaters in 1946, 1947 and 1948.  The DVD releases of these animated feature films have been tampered with in recent times by the Disney Studio. Film buffs need the original films to appreciate Walt's creations.

• Like 1

I hope they get around to showing MAKE MINE MUSIC , FUN AND FANCY FREE and MELODY TIME as they were shown in the theaters in 1946, 1947 and 1948.  The DVD releases of these animated feature films have been tampered with in recent times by the Disney Studio. Film buffs need the original films to appreciate Walt's creations.

I know I could look it up, but what changes were made, cody?

If by 'they' you mean TCM,   isn't it a logical assumption that TCM would lease the films from Disney and that Disney would lease TCM the latest (tampered), versions?

How would TCM be able to lease those original versions IF Disney no longer supports those original versions?

OR are these films in the public domain????

Disney films in the public domain? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

They were the ones lobbying to get Congress to extend the copyright terms when Steamboat Willie was getting close to entering the public domain.

• Like 3

If by 'they' you mean TCM,   isn't it a logical assumption that TCM would lease the films from Disney and that Disney would lease TCM the latest (tampered), versions?

How would TCM be able to lease those original versions IF Disney no longer supports those original versions?

OR are these films in the public domain????

Yes, "they" refers to TCM. TCM prides itself on showing films as they were originally made. I am sure the Disney Studio has not dumped their originals of the 3 films into the "garbage can". If they don't want children to see The Hatfield and McCoys segment or Pecos Bill smoking a cigarette, TCM can screen those films at a later hour.  Time will tell if these films will eventually be screened on TCM.

• Like 1

They were the ones lobbying to get Congress to extend the copyright terms when Steamboat Willie was getting close to entering the public domain.

Actually there is one that is in the public domain...

I didn't think these films were in the public domain,  and that is why I had 3 question marks at the end.

I was just emphasizing the point that if Disney released 'altered' versions as DVDs those are the only versions TCM would be able to lease (unless the unaltered versions were in the public domain). 

One thing I wish they also showed on this block are the animated feature films, like Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937), Cinderella (1950), and Bambi (1942). Films like these are fitting for the channel.

I have seen that their FreeForm channel (formerly ABC Family) has at least show Cinderella in the past and maybe the others as well. However they are not commercial free.

Yes, "they" refers to TCM. TCM prides itself on showing films as they were originally made. I am sure the Disney Studio has not dumped their originals of the 3 films into the "garbage can". If they don't want children to see The Hatfield and McCoys segment or Pecos Bill smoking a cigarette, TCM can screen those films at a later hour.  Time will tell if these films will eventually be screened on TCM.

Wait a second, Disney did an animated short about the Hatfield/McCoy feud??!!

I have seen that their FreeForm channel (formerly ABC Family) has at least show Cinderella in the past and maybe the others as well. However they are not commercial free.

I assume these very popular films are show with commercials because they are costly to lease which decreases the odds TCM will lease them since TCM options to make up for that cost are limited.

Wait a second, Disney did an animated short about the Hatfield/McCoy feud??!!

The Martins & the McCoys, actually, from Make Mine Music:

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/The_Martins_and_the_Coys

Which, along with Pecos's cigarette, became one of the casualties of 90's Eisner-era Disney's PC crackdown when the movies went to Gold Collection DVD.  And twenty years later, anel-retentive Disney-paranoid fans STILL whine about all the things "evil" Disney is "keeping" from them.

(What was cut from Fun & Fancy Free, btw?  I only remember there was some kind of anger-issue fan-dogpiling upon it for all the faults of the Package Films--just because it had gotten the least amount of votes in an all-time poll from fans who even remembered it existed--but don't recall any particular editing "crime" against it..

And it was released on Blu, for those who got the "special edition" of Ichabod & Mr. Toad.)

jamesjazzguitar

I assume these very popular films are show with commercials because they are costly to lease which decreases the odds TCM will lease them since TCM options to make up for that cost are limited.

Focusing on the problem of TCM not being a Disney-owned channel.

• Like 1

Which, along with Pecos's cigarette, became one of the casualties of 90's Eisner-era Disney's PC crackdown when the movies went to Gold Collection DVD.  And twenty years later, anel-retentive Disney-paranoid fans STILL whine about all the things "evil" Disney is "keeping" from them.

(What was cut from Fun & Fancy Free, btw?  I only remember there was some kind of anger-issue fan-dogpiling upon it for all the faults of the Package Films--just because it had gotten the least amount of votes in an all-time poll from fans who even remembered it existed--but don't recall any particular editing "crime" against it..

And it was released on Blu, for those who got the "special edition" of Ichabod & Mr. Toad.)

Yes, thank you for the correction. The missing segment in MAKE MINE MUSIC on DVD is The Martins and the Coys. In the segment All the Cat's Join In what has been tampered with is the size of the young ladies breasts. How puritanical can the Disney Studio be in this day and age !

FUN AND FANCY FREE seems to be complete.

the least deserving "red-headed stepchild" of the Disney animated vault would be THE LEGEND OF SLEEPY HOLLOW (aka ICHABOD CRANE.)

I read somewhere that it was the consumption of alcohol by characters that led to its relative obscurity amongst the canon (doesn't scan tho, since the drunken minstrel is retained in SLEEPING BEAUTY- although he factors in an important scene that could not be cut for plot exposition reasons.)

personally, i think it's the fact that it's DAMN SCARY and has that ending. I still remember seeing it for the first time and being utterly stunned that a Disney film (even a short one) would end that way.

really and truly, one of their absolute best, and lovely to look at (read on wiki that it won the golden globe for best cinematography, although it shared the award with MR. TOAD as they were released as one film.

• Like 4

• 8 months later...

Yes, thank you for the correction. The missing segment in MAKE MINE MUSIC on DVD is The Martins and the Coys. In the segment All the Cat's Join In what has been tampered with is the size of the young ladies breasts. How puritanical can the Disney Studio be in this day and age !

FUN AND FANCY FREE seems to be complete.

I would love to see all those animated films you have mentioned shown on TCM as Walt Disney had intended.  For those who don't want their children to see the originals , TCM could show it later in the evening  past junior's bedtime.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings