Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Special Sales of Classic Titles on DVD & Blu-ray

Anybody gearing up for the next deepdiscount.com sale in June?

I?m holding off ordering these titles until then:

Frank Sinatra - The Golden Years Collection

Frank Sinatra ? The Golden Years Collection

Popeye the Sailor vol. 2

Three Stooges vol. 2

The Carmen Miranda Collection

The Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelly Collection

The Fall of the Roman Empire Limited Edition

Mannix ? the First Season

Burke?s Law: Season 1 Vol. 1 (Okay, what bright bigwig came up with splitting a season and making us pay twice?!!)

The Fugitive Season 1 Vol. 2

The Fugitive Season 2 Vol. 1

The Sand Pebbles (Blu-Ray)

The Longest Day (Blu-Ray)

Patton (Blu-Ray)

The last three will be based on the review of the picture quality.

Yeah, any one of those problems would sour my opinion of them too -

I probably wouldn't shop there for a long time.

Well, I'm hoping to have a little better experience than that.

I didn't really have any problems with my last big order from them

except for inadequate packaging which, it seems, can happen

from any vendor, even Amazon, although it's less common for them.

That's cool that you got at least one copy of Pajama Party!

Sounds like that might have been their last copy so it's been sold out for a while now, I guess.

>Anybody gearing up for the next deepdiscount.com sale in June?

Didn't actually know about it.

I've been slowly shopping around aquiring titles from my want list since I had somewhat of a backlog.

The Forbidden Hollywood II Collection is one title that immediately comes to mind though - I've been holding out for a deal on that one so there's at least one set I can wait just a little longer for.

Thanks for the info!

Can?t recall, but dvdplanet.com may also do a sale in the same month. (Both are owned by the same company and both usually will have 20% off their already discounted prices.) Still, it is worth comparing back and forth with Amazon at the time to see which will work out better.

Deep Discount has an excellent Buy 2 Get 1 Sale of MGM/FOX titles. This is especially noteworthy since it includes pre-orders. Those who are in the market for the MGM westerns which will be released next week can pick them up at a bargain-basement price of $6.48 each (provided you purchase in multiples of three). I picked up The Westerner, Day of the Outlaw, Man With the Gun, Man of the West, and The Gunfight at Dodge City from that group, plus Red River, Night of the Hunter, Along Came Jones, and Casanova Brown, each for $6.48. All of these are $14.99 list and sell for about 10-12 dollars at Amazon.

Also to be released next week, and included in the sale, is the $19.99 list Fox Western Classics - Rawhide/The Gunfighter/The Garden of Evil. It is $14.99 at Amazon and $14.84 at Deep Discount, but grouping it with two other 14.84 titles, it comes out to $9.89 per DVD.

Peter

Also worth noting, deepdiscount.com has a 50% off Kino sale, good through May 30th.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/DVD---Kino-Sale_stcVVcatId476514VVviewcat.htm

Some great bargains in here, including their restored set on Battleship Potemkin for $14.98, the Kino Film Noir sets for $24.98, The Black Pirate $14.98, and the newly released Houdini - The Movie Star $19.98.

Hey, FilmLover -- Thanks for posting that. I was wondering how long the Kino discount lasted because I'm going to get the Glamour Girls box. The DVDs in that box set normally sell for more than the entire box is going for right now, which is $24.98. The German Expressionism box is going for $34.98 but I can't dump all my cash at once.

I love your challenge schedules, by the way.

Thanks.

As to Kino, there are some excellent prices in that deepdiscount.com sale. It looks like they will end it just before their regular June sale begins. I wonder which will price will be lower?

By the way, I don't know if you saw it in the Upcoming Releases information, but Kino is going to start releasing on Blu-ray high def this fall.

Another deepdiscount.com sale: Look for the marked "up to 61% off" of Sony/Columbia titles. Mostly new stuff but they do have From Here to Eternity, Funny Girl, and A Man for All Seasons for $5.99 each, and Gilda and Holliday for $7.75 each.

Deepdiscount.com also has another Sony/Columbia sale - look for "Save up to 58% on select Sony titles": The original 3:10 to Yuma, Cat Ballou, and others for about $6.28.

Plus a "Buy 1, Get 1" Anchor Bay sale: mostly junk but it does have the Peter Sellers Collection (which contains HEAVENS ABOVE!, HOFFMAN, I'M ALL RIGHT JACK, THE SMALLEST SHOW ON EARTH, CARLTON BROWNE OF THE F.O., and TWO WAY STRETCH) for $21.26 (sao that would work out to $10.63 for the whole box set when getting something else).

Hi Filmlover,

I've been buying from Deep Discount for quite a few years and my experience has been that the items on sale in May will be at a lower price than during the 20% sale. However, I've never bought any Kino titles, so I can't vouch for that to be true with them. Deep Discount prices revert to normal during the 20% sale, so I usually check the prices at a site called DVD Planet which has prices comparable to Deep Discount, and I believe they're owned by the same people.

So, for example, let's say you're looking for Battleship Potemkin, which is a 29.95 title on sale at DD for 14.95. A search at DVD Planet shows the everyday price as $21.02. This will probably be Deep Discount's price in June (give or take a few nickels). Subtract 20% and you get a price of 16.82. This will be roughly the price of the title during the 20% sale, so the 14.95 deal is better.

My educated guess is that the 50% deal is the best you'll get on these titles.

Peter

Hey, Film Lover -- As to Kino, there are some excellent prices in that deepdiscount.com sale. It looks like they will end it just before their regular June sale begins. I wonder which will price will be lower?

Peter Warne is correct, the 50% off sale that runs through this month is the better deal. I believe Kino titles are usually around 30% off their list price at Deep Discount. If you add 20% off to that, you get 50%, right? Wrong. You won't be getting an additional 20% off the list price in June, it's 20% off the discounted price, so you're looking at around 45% off.

For example, The Art of Buster Keaton usually goes for $140.97 at Deep Discount. At that price, it will go for $112.78 in June but it's $99.98 with the current sale.

You will basically save a few bucks with the lower-priced DVDs but you can really save some money with the boxes.

By the way, I don't know if you saw it in the Upcoming Releases information, but Kino is going to start releasing on Blu-ray high def this fall.

I did catch the post on that thread. I haven't posted much in this forum of late but I do check it all the time. I'm a serious prowler when it comes to upcoming DVD release info. I thank everyone who takes the time to post this info.

I'm not ready to start dishing out dollars for Blu-ray just yet. Actually, it may be a long time before I do since I enjoy black-and-white film the most. I'm not big on video equipment and such.

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

LOL, I did, because I wrote it.

• 3 weeks later...

For Costco members, and who get the coupon books in the mail, from June 2nd to June 8th Costco will be selling at $119.99 each: the Ford at Fox Collection big box set ($269.99 on Amazon), the United Artists 30 Film Essential Collection ($260 on Amazon), and the James Bond Ultimate Collector's Set ($209.99 on Amazon).

It looks like the deepdiscount.com 20% off their already discounted prices sale will be taking place from June 6th through June 22nd. One discount code I have read on another site is "DDAF".

I have been waiting for awhile now for this to come around again.

I was at Costco on 06/01/2008..they had several classic films for $12.99..

Julius Caesar (1953) W./Marlon Brando & Deborah Kerr

The Three Musketeers (1948) W./Lana Turner Gene Kelly

The Fountainhead (1949) (The sticker said 1st time on DVD) W./Gary Cooper & Patricia Neal!

The Asphalt Jungle (1950 W./Sterling Hayden, Louis Calhern, Jean Hagen & Marilyn Monroe!

A Tale of Two Cities (1935) W./Ronald Colman

Captains Courageous (1937) W/.Spencer Tracy.

Amazon has just started a good sale on a lot of DVDs, including LOTS of classic box sets at great prices. Examples:

Rooney & Garland Collection $27.49 (was $59.92)

Tennessee Williams Collection $27.49 (was $68.98)

John Ford Film Collection $25.49 (was $59.98)

Some sets are 60% off.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_6990742_7?ie=UTF8&docId=306150&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-8&pf_rd_r=0VC3Q92B7YYPRS403W5A&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=404598801&pf_rd_i=1061354

Wow! There are some steals on that list. The Tennessee Williams Collection and John Ford Film Collection are two of the biggest. I've never seen either of them listed any cheaper.

Thanks again for all the alerts, FilmLover. They are very helpful and greatly appreciated.

You're welcome, Frank.

Here are some other good items from the other Amazon sales on right now:

The Original Nancy Drew Movie Mystery Collection $12.49 (down from $24.98)

Superman - the 1948 & 1950 Theatrical Serials Collection $16.99 (down from $39.98)

I was just looking at deepdiscount and they have the same Warner Bros. box set sale on (or at least some of them) and while their price is about a dollar more for something like the John Ford Film Collection ($26.80 at dd; $25.49 at Amazon), the sale on the Warner's titles goes until the 15th. And the dd 20% off sale starts on the 6th, so you can get the Ford set (and others) at 20% off the sale price, so that brings the Ford set down to approximately $21.44. Just for waiting a few more days.

I just an email saying the deepdiscount.com 20% off of their regular low prices starts today (the 5th), not tomorrow.

You will need to insert a discount code to get the 20% off the total after you have everything in your cart. Remember, you can do several orders from now until the 22nd, but you can only use one code per order and then that code becomes invalid.

Here are codes I have comes across so far:

DDAF

DVDTALK

USATODAY

GAMER

You can only use it on currently released titles, not future releases. (However, remember, that if there is something that you want coming out on June 17th, for example, then order it form the 17th to the 22nd. There is no minimum order. Free shipping, no taxes.es out on June 17th, for example, then order it on the 17th.

Hey, FilmLover -- Thanks once again for the information. You have made my life easier with all your updates in this forum. I thank you for that.

I'm not going to go hog wild during this sale. I may spend about $80. So what are you looking to get, if I may ask? I'm always interested in knowing what DVDs others look to purchase.

What's up, Film Fatale -- It's been awhile... but I do check out your posts. ;)

is deep discount still mailing DVDs in padded envelopes?

I ordered six DVDs from DeepDiscount during the MGM/FOX "buy two get one free" sale a couple weeks ago. Five of the DVDs were in stock and they came in a brown cardboard box. One mini box set was out of stock but later arrived... in a brown cardboard wrap/sleeve. As far as I can remember, I believe just about every shipment I have received from Deep Discount has come via cardboard.

(also the horrible customer service when they ship you the wrong item)

I've only had one problem with DeepDiscount and it wasn't their fault. However, the process of returning the DVD box set and getting a replacement was a little tough. But that's the only "problem" I have had with them. But if you want a DVD quickly, it's best to go through someone like Amazon. If you are looking to save some cash, Deep Discount is still the best for me.

My one bad experience with Deep Discount was pretty bad... they sent the wrong item, I called them up, they provided a label to return it. So, I ship the item back... weeks go by, and they hadn't bothered to send the proper item (for which I had been charged). I had to call them back to remind me to send the right item.

As for getting them quickly, that's not so much of an issue, I just appreciate decent customer service when they ship the wrong item or something. ;)