Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Special Sales of Classic Titles on DVD & Blu-ray

My one bad experience with Deep Discount was pretty bad... they sent the wrong item, I called them up, they provided a label to return it. So, I ship the item back... weeks go by, and they hadn't bothered to send the proper item (for which I had been charged). I had to call them back to remind me to send the right item.

That's definitely a bad one. Mistakes are bound to happen but how quickly they are rectified goes a long way in how I judge a company or a person.

It took over a month to get the item I wanted replaced. That was the only problem I have had with them.

As for getting them quickly, that's not so much of an issue, I just appreciate decent customer service when they ship the wrong item or something. ;)

I hear ya.

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> It took over a month to get the item I wanted replaced. That was the only problem I have had with them.

In my case it was closer to two months. Like I said, after I shipped back the wrong item, they'd received it but were sitting in their butts doing nothing until I called them to ask about the replacement shipment. :(

On Tuesday, June 5, the CHARLIE CHAN boxsets were selling for $27.99. Since the start of the sale they hiked up the price to $33.99 (similar to Amazon). I believe they also raised the prices on some Criterion titles including THE FURIES. Since they are playing games with these sets I won't pruchase them this time round. Will wait for another sale at Amazon where I buy most of my DVD's.

Was going to purchase ULTIMATE SCI FI COLLECTION. Pre-sale price was $38.99. DDD hike the price up to $41.99 for the sale. Even though the 20% makes it a good price, I will pass on this set this time, due to DDD cutesy price gouging. I bet they raised many box set prices. Looks I will be ordering a minimum this time!

Actually Amazon is still higher for the Chan Box Sets. Even though I griped about the price hike the 20% does bring the price down to $27+ the pre-sale price. I am wondering if it will go back down after the sale.

I noticed that a few prices I had been watching went up about a buck, but I still bought two things so far: The Rat Pack Ultimate Edition and the John Wayne Icon Collection. There are some others but I haven't decided what yet.

edgecliffe, keep an eye out at Costco for the Chan sets because I am sure they will show up there again cheap. They have the two Moto sets for $15.99 each.

I was at Costco this afternoon and noticed some excellent bargains:

The Fox Studio Collection 4 DVD set of All About Eve, Gentlemen's Agreement, How Green Was My Valley, and Sunrise...only $12.99! Heck, its worth that just to get Sunrise.

John Wayne Legendary Heroes Collection $19.99 (almost bought this today through dd.com at a buck or two more; glad I held off)

Michael Shayne Mysteries $12.99

John Wayne Century Collection $56.99

Screen Legends Collections: James Stewart, John Wayne, and Cary Grant...$14.99 each

Gary Cooper Signature Collection $19.99

James Cagney Signature Collection $19.99

Gary Cooper Signature Collection $19.99

Frank Sinatra: the Early Years and the Golden Years box sets...$26.99 each

Dirty Harry Ultimate Collection box set $49.99

plus some two packs of DVDs for $12.99: War Wagon/Rooster Cogburn, Destry Rides Again/Far Country, Plainsman/Spoilers, and a few others.

And, of course, if you have the coupon booklet they sent out free, the gigantic Ford at Fox set is $119 (same price for the complete James Bond box set).

I also found a bargain at the last place I would pick for bargain hunting: Best Buy. They had a rack of "Father's Day" type movies, marked at $8.99. Nothing amazing, except for one item on the rack that wasn't advertised in the flyer at that price: the new 2-DVD edition of The Big Trail. I had to verify that but the cashier scanned it and it was indeed $8.99, instead of the usual $14.99.

Frank, yes, I was at the Los Feliz branch tonight and they had several of the Ford at Fox big box sets. It says on the sign they are $179, but they also note if you have the coupon, you get $60 off right then and there.

Edgecliff, yes, you pay a membership fee each year. I think it is about $50, but it may vary. It may seem high at first but in the long run, it is definitely worth it. I have saved so much buying things there. I don't know if it is still a policy but they used to require you to be invited to join. They may be more lax on that now, but you do need to be a member to buy from them, even online.

Hey, Edgecliff -- I just noticed something rather interesting at Amazon and I'm wondering if you or anyone else has caught this.

I have been anticipating ordering The Bad and the Beautiful DVD during the current Deep Discount sale, so I have been checking the price of the DVD for weeks now. It's been listed at $14.75 at Deep Discount throughout and Amazon has it at $17.99. Well, I decided to click on the "used & new" link at Amazon to see what price other vendors were selling it "new" for, and, wouldn't you know it, Deep Discount and their sister site, Digital Eyes/DVD Planet, are the lowest sellers of a brand new DVD. What's interesting to me is that the listed price for each is $13.08, not $14.75.

I also checked The Long Gray Line out, which is another DVD I have been price-monitoring. The DVD actually dropped to the lowest price I have seen to date just recently, $14.26 at Deep Discount. It's selling for $17.99 at Amazon, but if you click on "used & new," you will see that it's going for $12.80 at, you guessed it, Deep Discount and Digital Eyes/DVD Planet. Hmmmm...

The 20% off sale at Deep Discount presents the lowest price for both of those DVDs, but without the sale, the lowest price would be at Amazon through Deep Discount and/or Digital Eyes/DVD Planet. Of course, there can be shipping costs unless you go with Super Saver Shipping ($25 or more).

In case you are wondering, the Charlie Chan boxes are listed as follows:

Volume 1 - $29.80 (used & new at Amazon via DD) $33.92 (Deep Discount) $27.14 (20% off at DD)

Volume 2 - $30.38 (used & new at Amazon via DD) $33.92 (Deep Discount) $27.14 (20% off at DD)

Volume 3 - $31.07 (used & new at Amazon via DD) $33.92 (Deep Discount) $27.14 (20% off at DD)

Volume 4 - $26.88 (used & new at Amazon via DD) $33.92 (Deep Discount) $27.14 (20% off at DD)

Frank, yes, I was at the Los Feliz branch tonight and they had several of the Ford at Fox big box sets. It says on the sign they are $179, but they also note if you have the coupon, you get $60 off right then and there.

Now I'm very curious. I have a Costco very close by but I have never checked it out because of the $50 membership fee. I'm wondering if my Costco has Ford at Fox.

DEEP DISCOUNT PLAYING WITH PRICES FOR BIG SALE

I'm going over my DVD watch list and, you are very correct, Deep Discount raised the prices on quite a few box sets on my list:

Barbara Stanwyck: The Signature Collection

Classic Comedies Collection

Humphrey Bogart: The Signature Collection

Cary Grant: Screen Legend Collection

James Stewart: Screen Legend Collection

Forbidden Hollywood Collection, Volume Two

The Warner Gangsters Collection

The Cary Grant: Screen Legend Collection went from $16.36 to $20.46. Guess what percentage that is? Uh-huh... 20%.

Double Indemnity went up about $4.

The Three Stooges Collection, Volume One and The John Wayne Century Collection actually dropped in price.

Most of the single DVDs on my list have not seen a price change or have dropped in price.

The Criterion and Kino titles on my list have not seen a price change. They rarely do.

The John Ford Film Collection is at $21.44 after 20% off. That's one heckuva bargain.

Yes, the CHAN movies are still pretty cheap with their 20% off, but it is irritating that DDD raised many of their prices for this sale. I am not sure if they have done this in the past. I may yet buy one of the CHAN box sets due to the low prices and then wait for another big FOX sale.

Like many others here, I have a DVD "watch" list. (I use an Excel spread sheet with columns for Amazon and Deep Discount. I keep track of upcoming releases I'm interested in as well as titles already in release.) As many of you may know, both Amazon and Deep Discount constantly change the prices of "in release" DVDs. Some days I feel like I'm watching the stock market (grin), changing prices on my list both up and down.

So far I haven't found any titles from my list which have had their prices raised at Deep Discount in the last few days. This includes varied titles like THE YOUNG IN HEART, SILK STOCKINGS, LORETTA YOUNG SHOW #1, SCARAMOUCHE, 12 ANGRY MEN, COSBY SHOW #7, and BURKE'S LAW.

Just an FYI that while some Deep Discount prices have changed prior to the sale, in many other cases they have not.

As of today (Friday, 6/6) there is nothing about the 20% off sale on the main or DVD pages at Deep Discount...I've also not received an email with a sale code, although the emails seem to come very sporadically. Sometimes a friend of mine gets them and I don't, and vice versa.

Anyone have any further official confirmation of the sale starting?

(PS My shipments from Deep Discount always arrive in cardboard boxes/sleeves...)

Hey, Laura! -- It's nice to meet you again. I hope you and your family are well.

Like many others here, I have a DVD "watch" list. (I use an Excel spread sheet with columns for Amazon and Deep Discount. I keep track of upcoming releases I'm interested in as well as titles already in release.) As many of you may know, both Amazon and Deep Discount constantly change the prices of "in release" DVDs. Some days I feel like I'm watching the stock market (grin), changing prices on my list both up and down.

You don't want to be watching the Market today.

So there actually is another sicko out there. It took only one post (DVD commentaries) from you on this board for me to like you and I like you even more now. Your DVD watch list sounds awfully familiar. :)

Just an FYI that while some Deep Discount prices have changed prior to the sale, in many other cases they have not.

It seems as if most of the box sets on my list went up but the singles did not. Actually, a handful of single DVDs on my list went down in price. I was pleasantly surprised by this.

I'm sure Deep Discount knows many people look to pluck boxes during their 20% off sale.

As of today (Friday, 6/6) there is nothing about the 20% off sale on the main or DVD pages at Deep Discount...I've also not received an email with a sale code, although the emails seem to come very sporadically. Sometimes a friend of mine gets them and I don't, and vice versa.

Anyone have any further official confirmation of the sale starting?

The sale began yesterday and runs through Sunday, June 22nd.

Here is a banner ad for the sale (bottom of page):

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search.php?form_keyword=TheBadandtheBeautiful&topcat_id=4&st=query

I think they don't list the 20% off sale info on the website because they don't want EVERYBODY saving money. They probably figure if they just announce it to a few, it will not be that big a drop in income.

But you can go ahead and use any of the codes that are here when you get to the checkout area.

Hi Frank, it's nice to see you too! I believe you were the very first person to welcome me to these boards. :)

First, thank you *very* much for sending me the link to that banner ad. I just forwarded it on to my dad and a friend who are not on the TCM forum but are also anxiously awaiting the sale.

Your comments are very kind! That is fun we have such similar viewing interests. I have a couple of the boxed sets you're hoping to get, the Stanwyck and Gangsters collections. And I'm currently borrowing my dad's Cary Grant Screen Legends collection and Forbidden Hollywood, Vol. 2. You will enjoy! (Just watched THE DIVORCEE and commentary in FORBIDDEN HOLLYWOOD. Great stuff. )

I suspect you're right about the boxed set pricing...I have used the DDD sales to add to my husband's CHARLIE CHAN collection in the past. :)

Touching on another post, I have had a Costco card the last couple years (can write the card fee off for my business!) and sometimes Costco has very good prices on boxed sets. I just got my husband one of the MR. MOTO sets for roughly $15.99.

Hope to run into you on the boards again soon --

Filmlover: Thanks for the added thoughts on using the sale codes.

Hi, Laura -- Hi Frank, it's nice to see you too! I believe you were the very first person to welcome me to these boards.

Thanks. I'm always attracted to those who enjoy DVD audio commentaries. It's actually a smaller group of people than I first realized.

First, thank you very much for sending me the link to that banner ad. I just forwarded it on to my dad and a friend who are not on the TCM forum but are also anxiously awaiting the sale.

Terrific! I first learned of Deep Discount and its 20% off sale a couple years ago thanks to their ad at Pricegrabber.com. Thanks to this message board, I have since learned when to expect the sales (June and November). I spend more in November because I buy my brother quite a few DVDs for Christmas and his birthday. The current sale is only for this little piggy, and I won't spend as much. I've been spending too much as it is.

Your comments are very kind! That is fun we have such similar viewing interests.

Hey, a gal who likes audio commentaries is wonderful in my book.

I have a couple of the boxed sets you're hoping to get, the Stanwyck and Gangsters collections.

The Stanwyck box is pretty high on my list but I haven't taken the plunge just yet, primarily because there isn't one film in the box I'm dying to see. I'm most interested in hearing Oliver Stone's commentary for Robert Wise's Executive Suite and seeing East Side, West Side and My Reputation.

I still haven't jumped into the gangsters pool. I will, eventually.

And I'm currently borrowing my dad's Cary Grant Screen Legends collection and Forbidden Hollywood, Vol. 2. You will enjoy! (Just watched THE DIVORCEE and commentary in FORBIDDEN HOLLYWOOD. Great stuff. )

The second volume of Forbidden Hollywood looks to be a great deal because it has more films than the first volume AND it has commentaries.

I'm a Cary Grant fan and I'm really interested in seeing Joan Bennett with him. I really like Joan. It's also a very cheap box.

I suspect you're right about the boxed set pricing...I have used the DDD sales to add to my husband's CHARLIE CHAN collection in the past.

Ahhh, very good. What a wonderful wife you are.

Touching on another post, I have had a Costco card the last couple years (can write the card fee off for my business!) and sometimes Costco has very good prices on boxed sets. I just got my husband one of the MR. MOTO sets for roughly $15.99.

I'm gonna have to stop by my local Costco and check out their DVD section to see if it's worth it for me. Borders and Barnes & Noble (membership) are the only two retailers that carry a good amount of classic film DVDs in my area. My Best Buy is horrendous.

Filmlover: Thanks for the added thoughts on using the sale codes.

In case you missed it, here are the codes FilmLover posted:

DDAF

DVDTALK

USATODAY

GAMER

PRICEGRABBER is what I use... not that it matters.

*Thanks. I'm always attracted to those who enjoy DVD audio commentaries. It's actually a smaller group of people than I first realized.*

How interesting, Frank! I printed your list of recommendations and it's sitting next to the TV with my "viewing ideas" list. (I keep a running tally of things I've bought or recorded and not watched yet -- it's easier to look at the list for ideas than the various places the movies are stashed, grin.) The interesting commentaries I've heard lately include THE BIG STEAL and MYSTERY STREET from Film Noir #4.

*Thanks to this message board, I have since learned when to expect the sales (June and November).*

In the last year or so I started calendaring ahead a year, noting the date the sale started this year, so I know when to be watching. Yes, some of us are mildly obsessed with good deals to add to our collections (grin). My "Christmas" order was huge this year as I bought gifts for all five of my immediately family!

*I'm gonna have to stop by my local Costco and check out their DVD section to see if it's worth it for me.*

Unfortunately my local Costco has reduced their DVD inventory considerably this year, but there are still good deals to be found.

Re boxed sets: I really liked Stanwyck's MY REPUTATION, in particular.

As a postscript (which I hope isn't too off topic to add here, but since Frank and I seem to have a lot of movie interests in common, grin): I just added my webpage link to my TCM profile, if you (or anyone) would like to check out my movie posts. I've been blogging short classic movie reviews for nearly 3 years. If you want to skip my thoughts on politics and other random topics, simply search by "Tonight's Movie" and you'll end up with the movie posts. :)

Thanks again to Frank and everyone for taking the time to provide the sale info!

Edgecliff, you should wait on the Chan sets. DVDPlanet had a 2-for-one sale last year right after the 20% off sale. The Chan sets were included. They were 2 for $34.97, making them $17.49 each. It'll happen again. I think Amazon did that too.

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> Thanks. I'm always attracted to those who enjoy DVD audio commentaries. It's actually a smaller group of people than I first realized.

I like DVD audio commentaries, at least on the really important movies. I really enjoyed the 2 commentary tracks on the Criterion Collection The Thief of Bagdad DVD, found them very interesting. :D

Hi, Laura -- I printed your list of recommendations and it's sitting next to the TV with my "viewing ideas" list.

That's very flattering. Thank you.

(I keep a running tally of things I've bought or recorded and not watched yet -- it's easier to look at the list for ideas than the various places the movies are stashed, grin.)

Ohh goodness, we are pathetically the same. I just got caught up on my DVD "cataloging" and I now realize I have over 230 films on DVD that I have yet to watch. Sigh.

The interesting commentaries I've heard lately include THE BIG STEAL and MYSTERY STREET from Film Noir #4.

You're watching my kind of flicks. I have listened to Mystery Street but The Big Steal is one of the last films in that box set I still have to watch. I really like Mystery Street. I think it's very underrated.

In the last year or so I started calendaring ahead a year, noting the date the sale started this year, so I know when to be watching. Yes, some of us are mildly obsessed with good deals to add to our collections (grin). My "Christmas" order was huge this year as I bought gifts for all five of my immediately family!

That's when the Deep Discount sale really comes in handy.

Re boxed sets: I really liked Stanwyck's MY REPUTATION, in particular.

That's good to hear because that is a film I believe I'm going to like.

As a postscript (which I hope isn't too off topic to add here, but since Frank and I seem to have a lot of movie interests in common, grin): I just added my webpage link to my TCM profile, if you (or anyone) would like to check out my movie posts. I've been blogging short classic movie reviews for nearly 3 years. If you want to skip my thoughts on politics and other random topics, simply search by "Tonight's Movie" and you'll end up with the movie posts.

Wonderful! I'll definitely check out your blog.

What's up, Filme Fatale -- I like DVD audio commentaries, at least on the really important movies. I really enjoyed the 2 commentary tracks on the Criterion Collection The Thief of Bagdad DVD, found them very interesting.

Ohh, you know that I already like you. I consider you to be a true aficionado; the best on the board. I always pay attention to your words, particularly when it comes to DVDs.

I did catch your comments on Criterion's The Thief of Bagdad and they have stuck with me. I was unaware of a Scorsese AND Coppola commentary track. That's too perfect. So, how was it?

*?Hi Frank, it's nice to see you too! I believe you were the very first person to welcome me to these boards.?*

*?Your comments are very kind! That is fun we have such similar viewing interests.?*

*?Thanks. I'm always attracted to those who enjoy DVD audio commentaries. It's actually a smaller group of people than I first realized.?*

*?I printed your list of recommendations and it's sitting next to the TV with my "viewing ideas" list.?*

*?That's very flattering. Thank you.?*

Come on, people, get a room! LOL!

Seriously, though, this is a conversation going back and forth, and should be done using the Private Messages feature. The upcoming news is getting lost in the posts.

As far as the commentary tracks for Thief of Bagdad, one track is Coppola and Scorsese (though it sounds like they were at two different sessions, just spliced together). The other track is a very detailed history of the production by Bruce Eder, I think it was, truly the one to listen to for details. I am still going through it.