Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Special Sales of Classic Titles on DVD & Blu-ray

filmlover

Thanks for the info Filmlover. Guess I got Filmlover and Film Fatale mixed up. Would still prefer to wait at least until Christmas before I make any decisions about purchasing a Blu-Ray machine. And then again the prices for the discs are not competitive with SD dfiscs which is annoying.

LOL, sorry, Edgecliff, you did get it right that Film Fatale was the one to post the info, but I am the one on the boards who is gung-ho about Blu-ray. Sorry about the confusion.

Christmas will be a good time to get a player (or even the Thanksgiving sales) because the new models will be out from a number of manufactures with either 1.1 profile or 2.0, and the prices will be down a buit by then.

As for the prices of Blu vs. DVD, they always will be higher because of the work involved, I would guess, on making a title high def (cleaning, etc.). But sometimes, LOL, I have found the Blu price to be less than the standard DVD. For example, the new release of Mad Men Season 1...Amazon has the standard DVD set at $31.99, while they have the Blu set at $31.95. I think a lot of pricing is based on studios. I don't understand how a new single standard DVD movie can still be released at $25-$30 after so many years of when they told us that prices would come way down. Well, actually, I do understand...greed.

> {quote:title=Edgecliff wrote:}{quote}

> Thanks for the info Filmlover. Guess I got Filmlover and Film Fatale mixed up. Would still prefer to wait at least until Christmas before I make any decisions about purchasing a Blu-Ray machine. And then again the prices for the discs are not competitive with SD dfiscs which is annoying.

Look at the bright side. If you get them from Netflix, it won't cost you any more to get a Blu-Ray disc than it would a conventional DVD. They're the ones who will pay for the difference. Then, if at some point in time you feel that BR is still worth owning, you can wait until it goes on sale or the SRP is reduced by the distributor (which will eventually happen with BR titles, I'm sure). But having rented the title from Netflix before, you'll know exactly what you'll be getting for your money.

I was passing a video store in my area who is renting out Blu-ray discs. Hadn't thought about renting till now, or even Netflix. In any case, I am due for dental implants which is costing me over $5,000 so the Blu-ray machine is a lower priority right now. Will see what happens in the coming months. Thanks for your information.

Edgecliff, you should wait for Christmas to get those dental implants. The new 2.0 tooth-within-a-tooth dental implants are coming out which lets you upconvert your old teeth.

In DVD sale news, did anyone get a chance to pick up the Ford at Fox for $129 at Amazon deals yesterday? I did. How does that price compare to the price some of you paid with that Barnes & Noble coupon thingy back when?

Web,

LOL, first, is the "The new 2.0 tooth-within-a-tooth dental implants are coming out which lets you upconvert your old teeth" a reference to Toshiba's new SUC DVD player? We don't need to get into that here, but I sure hope you are not saying people should get that over true high def Blu-ray?

As to the Ford, set, I didn't see this on Amazon the other day...I saw the United Artist 30-title set they had on about a day or two ago...but I got my Ford set for $97 with the B&N coupin codes, etc. Costco had a special on the Ford set (and also the UA set) a few weeks back for about $110.

filmlover

Web,

LOL, first, is the "The new 2.0 tooth-within-a-tooth dental implants are coming out which lets you upconvert your old teeth" a reference to Toshiba's new SUC DVD player coming out around Christmas? We don't need to get into that here, but, God, please don't tell me you are one of those who think people should get that over true high def Blu-ray?

As to the Ford, set, I didn't see this on Amazon the other day...I saw the United Artist 30-title set they had on about a day or two ago...but I got my Ford set for $97 with the B&N coupin codes, etc. Costco had a special on the Ford set (and also the UA set) a few weeks back for about $110.

filmlover

Just came back from Costco and they have some good prices on some classic items:

Forbidden Hollywood vol. 1 $17.99

John Wayne/John Ford Collection (WB) $34.99

TCM Archives: Keaton, Laurel & Hardy, Garbo Silents $17.99 each

Kubrick collection $34.99

International Cinema Collection (includes several films including Day for Night) $34.99

Controversial Classics vol.1 $34.99

Chaplin vol. 1 $34.99

Tarzan Collection vol. 2 $17.99

Star Trek movies (saw the first, plus III, IV, and First Contact...they probably have ST II at some locations) 2-disc sets $7.49 each

They also still have a few of the three-[acks of Fox Studio Classics at $11.99

They have also something called "Decade Collection" in which a package contains a movie, a CD with music of the period, and 16-page Life sampler for the decade. The movies I saw were Guys and Dolls, Fiddler on the Roof,The Graduate, West Side Store, 12 Angry Men and a few other titles at $8.99 each. Be sure to look carefully when you are buying any because I noticed that it said West Side Story was the full screen version.

deepdiscount.com has a great 2-for-1 sale on Criterions! The header says "select titles" but when I clicked on it, it went to a page and it looks to be all of them. I did a dummy order and it worked on any titles I picked. (Some say "temporarily out of stock" on the order page but it's okay to still go ahead and order them because dd will make sure you get the sale price when they get them in. They are also pretty fast at getting replacement stock.)

http://www.deepdiscount.com/DVD---Criterion-Buy-1-Get-1-Free_stcVVcatId476505VVviewcat.htm?promoCode=B1G1CRITE0807

Hi, FilmLover -- Thanks for posting the Criterion sale. I believe it's buy one get one free. Now we're really talkin'. Deep Discount knows how to work me over.

I also want to thank you for posting all the sale alerts and upcoming DVD releases you come across. You have really helped me out a lot. I don't have to do nearly as much research now because I find just about everything here. Thanks.

This is a great sale. Recently DDD has raised their prices for Criterion discs up to $32.00 where other websites are charging approximately $27.99. Generally all around their prices have gone up so I would prefer to wait for the special sales like this one.

> This is a great sale. Recently DDD has raised their prices for Criterion discs up to $32.00 where other websites are charging approximately $27.99. Generally all around their prices have gone up so I would prefer to wait for the special sales like this one.

I took advantage and ordered a few, but they are all "out of stock" so who knows

when I will receive them. Some of them were priced at just under $25 and the rest

at the $32 price point. All in all, it's the best deal I could have hoped for on Criterion.

> Amazon is having a giant sale of over 400 classics from such studios as FOX, CRITERION, MGM, PARAMOUNT, WB, etc. Many box sets including the Charlie Chan series, etc. Many are half priced.

Hmmm...this is terrible news...for my pocketbook.

Hope this sale last for a while, as there are several box sets I want! Just ordered 4 titles from the Criterion sale on DDD, Buying THE RED BALLOON and WHITE MANE amounted to about $6 each. a bargain I could not resist. I also bought THIEVES HIGHWAY and YOUNG MR. LINCOLN.

The Red Balloon is adorable and I love their Young Mr Lincoln presentation and extras, it's

a very nice set.

I am hesitating to buy anything only because Amazon now charges sales tax to New Yorkers,

that diminishes my savings.

MissGoddess, that's sad about the sales tax charge. Every bit of savings counts when you buy large quantities. BTW, checkout FamilyVideo.com. Many of their prices are cheaper than either Amazon or DDD. They charge $1 for shipping for any size order.

• 2 weeks later...

While looking through Amazon tonight, I noticed that the Amazon price for the upcoming release of the complete Man from UNCLE series is a lot cheaper than the Time-Life price. Time-Life wants $249. Amazon has a pre-order price of $139.99 (down from street $199.99). I decided to put a pre-order in for it. What the heck, that's 41 DVDs (so less than $4 each).

http://www.amazon.com/Man-U-N-C-L-E-Complete-Robert-Vaughn/dp/B00005JM5Z/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1217139854&sr=8-1