Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Special Sales of Classic Titles on DVD & Blu-ray

filmlover

Looks like the Amazon sale did end. It was on quite a while, but thought it would go on a bit longer. I bought two Charlie Chan box sets and was intending to buy another. Oh well, I can wait for the next sale. FOX & WB titles go on sale very often so I can wait.

By the way mateo and Edgecliff, Deep Discount matched a lot of the prices for the things that Amazon had on that long sale, and those prices are still good there. Like the Charlie Chan sets. They're actually 10 cents less than what Amazon had them for. $25.89. Plus free shipping. So the race is still on! Offhand, I see the Carmen Miranda, Doris Day, Tarzan, Lucille Ball, Film Noir sets all at the sale price.

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> FF, re Last Emperor, I am holding out for the youknowwhatcolor version coming from Critierion in a few months.

Um... I give up! I don't have any idea what colour might be in your mind. ;)

But, at any rate, let's hope that the BR version will have all of the extras that were already in the other one.

FF, re: Last Emperor...it will. Re their upcoming Blu editions, they say:

These new editions will feature glorious high-definition picture and sound, all the supplemental content of the DVD releases, and they will be priced to match our standard-def editions.

They also said about LE:

Alongside our DVD and Blu-ray box sets of The Last Emperor, we?ll also be putting out the theatrical version as a stand-alone release in both formats, priced at $39.95.

As a reminder, these are the titles they are working on, with October being the start of these Blu releases:

The Third Man

Bottle Rocket

Chungking Express

The Man Who Fell to Earth

The Last Emperor

El Norte

The 400 Blows

Gimme Shelter

The Complete Monterey Pop

Contempt

Walkabout

For All Mankind

The Wages of Fear

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, the sale is only on about half a dozen Blus at $14.99 and about the same at $19.99.

But I see you have bought a Blu disc. Congrats. Like I did when I started out, I am assuming you bought a Blu disc before having a player yet. Now, it will be eating away at you to get one.

However, I do feel the need to point out that Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange is not a great video transfer. If you check out the review on highdefdigest, you will see it got 2.5 out of 5 stars (I have ACW and I have to agree): If you want something of Kubrick and see 2001 on sale, get it. PQ is incredible.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/259/clockworkorange.html

highdefdigest.com is always good to check before you buy. Here's an alphabetical list of their reviews:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/reviews_alpha.html

However, if you are looking for a really good title on sale right now, head over to Frys. They have a group of Fox titles at about $15.99 (a terrific price for Fox films) and while not al are worthwhile, I can recommend The Sand Pebbles and Mrs. Doubtfire for being exceptional picture quality (yes, and excellent sound).

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1342/sandpebbles.html

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1340/mrsdoubtfire.html

I'll put together a list pretty soon of ones I recommend and paste it in the Blu-ray discussion thread.

Deep Discount is having an awesome 2-for-1 sale of WB DVDs, including a lot of box sets. I've never seen them this cheap. Not during the 20% off sale nor the recent sale where they had things like the Tarzan1 set for $29.98. Now you can get it for $22.12 (if you buy something else for the same price.) Tarzan 2 -$14.75. Film Noir sets- $19.19 each. What! Greta Garbo Signature- $38.40. That's always over $50-60. Lucile Ball, Mickey & Judy, Stanwyck, Esther Williams, Lancaster, Gable, Bogart Signatures- $19.19 each. Cult Camp Classics Volumes 1-4: $11.98 each. The Chaplin Collections under $30 each. Many more. Get over there quickly people.

I just got Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory 2 for $22.12 and Vol 3 for $26.57.

DD and Amazon are in fierce competition lately. Last week DD put a load of MGM catalog titles on sale for $5.95, this week Amazon put most of those same titles on sale 3 for $10. Check out that Amazon sale too.

If you missed the buy-one-get-one-free Criterion sale at Deep Discount in July, there are some Criterion titles that are nearly or more than 50% off at Amazon right now.

Here are some titles:

Ace in the Hole $19.49

Amarcord $18.99

Bicycle Thieves $19.99

Charade $18.99

Contempt $19.49

Elevator to the Gallows $15.99

Eric Rohmer's Six Moral Tales $46.99

F for Fake $18.99

The Fallen Idol $14.99

I Am Curious $19.49

John Cassavetes - Five Films $57.99

Jules and Jim $18.99

The Lady Eve $18.99

Mouchette $18.49

My Man Godfrey $20.99

Shoot the Piano Player $18.49

The Testament of Dr. Mabuse $18.99

Thieves' Highway $20.99

The Third Man (2-disc) $18.99

The 39 Steps $18.99

Trouble in Paradise $19.49

Two-Lane Blacktop $19.49

Here's the link to the Warner sale, Web:

http://www.deepdiscount.com/DVD---Warner-Buy-1-Get-1-Free_stcVVcatId479932VVviewcat.htm?&promoCode=B1G1WARNR0808

MGM 3-for-$10 sale at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&plgroup=1&docId=1000270841