Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Special Sales of Classic Titles on DVD & Blu-ray

filmlover

I'm not sure if this sale has been offered before or not, but since I just got an e-mail from amazon, I thought I'd pass it on - buy 2 blu-rays, get 1 free from this list:

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=pe_20890_10887470_fe_txt_1/?&node=1254113011

(Classic titles in the list include: *Deliverance, Viva Las Vegas, Jailhouse Rock, The Cowboys, The Getaway, That's Entertainment! Trilogy, 2001, How the West Was Won, Cool Hand Luke, The Wild Bunch, Rio Bravo, The Adventures of Robin Hood, Bonnie & Clyde, The Dirty Dozen* and the *Dirty Harry* boxset.

Also, the *Abbott & Costello: The Complete Universal Pictures Collection* set is marked down to $57.46 at DD. Seems to be the lowest price anywhere, yet. With 15 discs in the set, it comes to less than $4 per disc. B-)

DDD's big 70% off sale has some great offers, many of these DVD sets I have paid much more for even at the big 25% off sale, including JAMES STEWART WESTERN COLLECTION and the GREGORY PECK COLLECTION. The thee John Ford box sets are selling ffor $19.76 each and the four disc MAGNIFICENT SEVEN COLLECTION is selling for $11.86. I sometimes wonder if I should wait awhile before I buy any brand new DVD sets.

Amazon's Gold Box deal of the day is "Band of Brothers" for $25.99.

The desperation of our nation's DVD retailers is killing me. I thought my November/December DVD buying spree was over.

Went for Band of Brothers ($25.99), The Earth to the Moon Signature Edition $19.99, and the two-disc version of The Right Stuff ($10.99) all over at Ammy.

These don't exactly fit into classic DVD titles, but they are great prices on high-quality stuff.

Tying in to the release of "The Dark Knight" on Blu and DVD this week, Best Buy is selling a number of other super-hero titles this week. Most don't deserve a mention here, but I did see that an excellent reduced bargain they have is the Sony 2-DVD release of *"Batman and Robin - The Complete 1949 Movie Serial"* for only $4.99. The sale ends this Saturday.

That sounds very appealing, filmlover. I'll try and check it out at BestBuy. I did all my DVD shopping at Target this week.

I found a great deal there, it's a gift set with the *Fox Western Classics* and *Michael Shayne Mysteries* bundled together for $14.99. I know the *Fox Western Classics* has sold for $9.99 by itself at ammy, so it seemed like a pretty good deal - 7 movies for about 15 bucks. Not sure if it's a Target exclusive.

2dk0rh5.jpg

> {quote:title=calvinnme wrote:}{quote}

> Amazon has the 8 disc set "The Christopher Reeve Superman Collection (Superman - The Movie/ Superman II/ Superman III/ Superman IV - The Quest for Peace) (1987)" on sale for $16.99. 4 discs are dedicated to Superman, 2 for Superman 2, one each for III and IV.

I don't know whether this might be of any interest to anyone, but I've also recently seen a new DVD from WHV that has the 4 *Superman* movies with Reeve, apparently in just one disc, and sells for $9.99 in most places. I assume it doesn't have any bonus features like the 2-disc editions.

Also, for Star Trek fans, DD seems to have some really good discounts from 60% to 75% on the series box sets:

* Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (Seasons 1-7 / 48-Disc Box Set) - now $207.48 (75% OFF) (Previous lowest price: $302.13)

* Star Trek: Enterprise: The Complete Series - now $120.74 (76% OFF) (Previous lowest price: $175.81)

* Star Trek: The Animated Series - now $27.93 (56% OFF) (Previous lowest price: $41.04)

* Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Complete Series - now $211.47 (60% OFF) (Previous lowest price: $307.95)

* Star Trek: The Original Series: Seasons #1-#3 - now $117.15 (60% OFF) (Previous lowest price: $176.28)

* Star Trek: Voyager: The Complete Series (Seasons 1-7) - now $211.29 (75% OFF) (Previous lowest price: $323.02)

It looks like the Ray Harryhausen Blu-ray set is going to be an Amazon Gold Box special from 11AM-12 noon PST at 60% off on Thursday, the 18th, which should put the price at about $45 for the set (the titles are 20 Million Miles to Earth, Earth vs. Flying Saucers, It Came from Beneath the Sea, and 7th Voyage of Sinbad). All the films that are in black and white also have a - shudder - colorized version on there, too.

It is going to be a full day by Amazon devoted to the PS3 and some Blu-ray movies. Spider-Man and Mamma MIa are mixed in there somewhere. The special on the PS3 will start at midnight tonight PST, and the first individual Gold Box special will begin at 6 AM.

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> I can't believe it! Here I was telling you about the Harryhausen deal and then I got so busy here at work today I forgot about it!

Sorry to hear about that, filmlover.

I passed on the Harryhausen deal because I've not seen those movies before and I'd rather rent them first, if I can.

Looks like the 1pm PT especial turned out to be SingStar ABBA for PS3, not *Mamma Mia!* - that's just as well for me, I already have it on blu-ray. B-)

> {quote:title=ziggyelman wrote:}{quote}

> Anyone checked out the DVD's at Big Lots of late??? For awhile they have had a bunch of Sony/Columbia films for $3, almost all without drill holes or cut out marks.

> Stuff like.... *Fugitive Kind* with Brando, *The Prisoner* with Alec Guinness, *Pride of the Yankees *(MGM release) *Moulin Rouge*, *Run Silen*t, *Run Deep*, *Hallelujah Trail*, *Custer of the West*, and many other newer releases.

> Don't think about turning around and selling them on Amazon, cuz they are that price or cheaper there I have found...but, really good prices, and I imagine if they are in the bins, they are soon to be out of print.....

Well, they have some other interesting WB titles, with really long cut out marks on the bar code(One I saw was the entire length of the case!) I have found *Dames*, *Gold Diggers of 1935*, *Petrified Forest, East of Eden*, and the 2 disc set of *The Band Wagon* !!!

Now, don't get the bright idea of selling this on ebay, at least not yet! I had that idea as well after buying copies for myself....some big outfit had *Dames* up for a penny, and sold it at that price, several times!!! So, you can get 'em cheap that way as well.

But, it can't hurt to grab up some(I mentioned in the next post I made in November that these are only available at their stores) and put them away....most likely they will go out of print, if they haven't already, and will be worth something....eventually. Will probably perform better than stocks in 2-3 years. : |

There's a rumor in a thread on highdefdigest from an employee of Best Buy that on Friday there will be an after-Christmas sale on several Blu-ray high definition titles. One of them is *How the West Was Won* for $15. For anyone thinking about getting into Blu in the future, this is a great bargain to pick up now. It has the full widescreen restored version on disc 1 and a CInerama-type "Smilebox" version on disc 2. Both in high def. This title gets my highest recommendation.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-bargains/74785-friday-blu-sale-best-buy.html

Amazon seems to be having a sale on Universal films in general. You can find a few more classics here.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&plgroup=1&docId=1000324461&plpage=1

They're also selling their Screen Legends collections, Glamour Collections, and other box sets very cheaply. The Cecil B. De Mille Collection and both W.C. Fields Collections are steeply discounted. Also, the Universal Horror Legacy collections are on sale. I couldn't find a single link to their box sets.

I have the first W.C. Fields set and decided to order the second. Universal really doesn't do extra features, but these films almost never show up on TV.

Over the holidays I picked up what appeared to be a cheapie budget 3-fer (at a supermarket) for about $10 that included *Born Yesterday, His Girl Friday* and *The Awful Truth* . (There were similar compilations of Steven Seagal films, Stallone films, Matrix movies, etc). Imagine my surprise on opening the box to find three separate, fully loaded with extras, DVDs!

They are all Hi-Def DVDs, which are apparently being cleared out as Blu-Ray won the war. Play fine on regular DVD players, though.

Hi, Chip,

Sorry, what you have there are regular DVDs. Many new DVDs (including Sony/Columbia, which issued those) from the last few years will say "Remastered in High Definition" on them but they are not high def discs. They are still only standard definition discs because their output is 480p. "Remastered in high defnition" only means that the master they were using was high def, not the disc. It's like seeing a TV program that says "Broadcast in high definition" but you are still watching it over a standard defintion TV. In the case of the DVDs you have were played over a Blu-ray or HD DVD high definition player, they would still only be standard definition because the disc output is only 480p.

If they were the loser in the format war, HD DVD, they would not be playable on a standard DVD player. Plus those titles were never issued on HD DVD, nor on Blu (not yet on the latter, but some day). (Also, they would never be HD DVD because the fact they are Sony/Columbia titles, and Sony was only supporting Blu-ray.)

However, on the good side, $10 for the three DVDs is an excellent bargain.

filmlover

> {quote:title=ChipHeartsMovies wrote:}{quote}

> Over the holidays I picked up what appeared to be a cheapie budget 3-fer (at a supermarket) for about $10 that included *Born Yesterday, His Girl Friday* and *The Awful Truth* . (There were similar compilations of Steven Seagal films, Stallone films, Matrix movies, etc). Imagine my surprise on opening the box to find three separate, fully loaded with extras, DVDs!

>

> They are all Hi-Def DVDs, which are apparently being cleared out as Blu-Ray won the war. Play fine on regular DVD players, though.

Shoot, even if they're not HD-DVDs, that's an amazing price for Columbia films that not too long ago they tried to sell for over $20 each!!! Wish I could find them for that price at a supermarket in Atlanta!