Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Special Sales of Classic Titles on DVD & Blu-ray

filmlover

> {quote:title=ziggyelman wrote:}{quote}

> Amazon has the Universal Horror Legacy sets for $13.99!!! I kept looking for a cheap price on them before Christmas, but never did...

> http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_d?url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=TheLegacyCollection+&x=14&y=18

Well....I guess I caught this on the last day...somehow, or was it a mistake???? I don't even recall how I found the sale on amazon, but they are $23 now....

If you didn't get to order them, don't worry. I have these from when they came out originally and they were for the most part very bad disc pressings. The discs usually had scratched from being double-sided and pressed into poor packages. Often the films would freeze or not play. I don't know about now, but Universal suffered for a long time with very poor package quality control. All of the Legacy series they produced back them with multiple titles in them suffered.

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> If you didn't get to order them, don't worry. I have these from when they came out originally and they were for the most part very bad disc pressings. The discs usually had scratched from being double-sided and pressed into poor packages. Often the films would freeze or not play. I don't know about now, but Universal suffered for a long time with very poor package quality control. All of the Legacy series they produced back them with multiple titles in them suffered.

I have the Dracula set, don't recall having problems with it, but I sure did with either volume one or two of the Abbott and Costello sets that were double sided. Of course I discovered that months after buying them. I think I read a bit about that "issue" on amazon awhile back.

Its sad that Universal has skimmed on sets, or didn't bother to restore films at all(Like the Marx bros set) They are sitting on a lot of good films.....

• 2 weeks later...

Amazon is having another one of those on again-off again "up to 50% off" Fox box set sales:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&plgroup=1&docId=1000324611&plpage=1

Much is what we have encountered before, but I did notice the Alice Faye Collection vol. 2 for $26.49, The Tyrone Power Matinee Idol Collection for $29.49, Carmen Miranda at $29.49, Fox Horror Classics Collection vol. 2 at $10.99, etc.

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> Hi, Chip,

>

> Sorry, what you have there are regular DVDs. Many new DVDs (including Sony/Columbia, which issued those) from the last few years will say "Remastered in High Definition" on them but they are not high def discs. They are still only standard definition discs because their output is 480p. "Remastered in high defnition" only means that the master they were using was high def, not the disc. It's like seeing a TV program that says "Broadcast in high definition" but you are still watching it over a standard defintion TV. In the case of the DVDs you have were played over a Blu-ray or HD DVD high definition player, they would still only be standard definition because the disc output is only 480p.

>

> If they were the loser in the format war, HD DVD, they would not be playable on a standard DVD player. Plus those titles were never issued on HD DVD, nor on Blu (not yet on the latter, but some day). (Also, they would never be HD DVD because the fact they are Sony/Columbia titles, and Sony was only supporting Blu-ray.)

>

> However, on the good side, $10 for the three DVDs is an excellent bargain.

> filmlover

Well, this is interesting. I hadn't kept up much with the format wars of the past few years, I only knew that Blu-ray had won.

Anyway, I have hit every Kroger looking for that cheap 3 movie set with no luck, but they are selling Combo HD DVD discs for anywhere from 4.99 to 7.99! What's funny, is reading about them online, no one liked the idea when they first came out,(Doesn't make much sense to pay even more than a "regular" HD DVD to get a lesser quality on the flip side, and why would someone without an HD DVD player, spend all that money?) and now HD failed, sales wise . But, now you can possibly find films cheaper than the standard DVD release....You can see the titles listed on Amazon that were put out(I assume that is all, 84 isn't a whole lot though, is it?)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_d?url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=ComboHDDVDandStandard+DVD&x=0&y=0

Hi, Ziggy,

No, HD DVD didn't produce many of the combo titles. When they first came out, they sold for several dollars more than the regular HD DVD (at that time, the combos sold for about $30 or so). While many of them played okay, I've read there had been some production problems on others and they wouldn't play properly (something to do with the fact they were actually two discs glued together, back to back.).

As for the markdown price they are at now, sellers are trying to...how shall I say it delicately...make more room in their inventory. The problem with the prices on Amazon (from private sellers) is that they will add about $3 shipping to each item in your order so you end up pay $6 or more per disc.

• 2 weeks later...

I went into Costco today and saw they had a few Fox double packs for $9.99. There were two Marilyn DVDs I can't recall, but one thing I do remember quite well was a double pack of All About Eve (the 2 DVD Fox Cinema Collection edition) and Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte (again, a Fox Cinema Collection edition). I think the price is great, since it works out to $5 each.

• 2 weeks later...

Best Buy has a great sale on two classic film Blu-rays until Feb. 21st, both at $14.99 each: *Amadeus: The Director's Cut* and *One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest*. In addition to the high definition movies, both are WB digibooks, and Amadeus also comes with a CD of great music by Mozart and a digital copy of the movie. The Amadeus Blu is a real steal at this price because it usually sells for $30 or more.

Amazon, every watchful, is duplicating the price right now on Amadeus.

This discount won't last long.

Amazon's "Lightning Deal" right _now_ is Alfred Hitchcock's Premiere collection, marked down 65% to just under $42. This set has been known to have some manufacturing problems in some cases, although Amazon is usually pretty good about returns and exchanges.

The deal is good for 4 hours or while supplies last.

VCI has a 50% off everything sale until Feb.27th. Use the code HALFOFF at the checkout. Note: VCI says it can be used only one time, only, so make sure you order all you want to at that time. LOL, they say the sale is to "help out with the economy issues at hand," but I think you can read that to mean, "We need your money!"

They have some excellent titles that I have ordered in the past: Burke's Law (that reminds me, I must check to see if I did a review here of the seond volume of the title), Honey West, some of their Film Noir series, plus they have some excellent serials.

I was just looking at their items and, sigh, I am afraid I might be spending money I don't want to at this time. But I will probably hold off ordering until the 24th when they have their new release of "British Cinema: The Renown Pictures Literary Classics Collection" which has Pickwick Papers, Tom Brown's Schooldays, and Svengali (I am particularly interested in this one because in addition to the British film they are including the original John Barrymore version). It's supposed to be $39.99, so that will make it $20.

www.vcient.com

Fry's has a great special from now through next Thursday on the Blu-ray releases of Gandhi and Kramer vs. Kramer for $15.99 each. They also have The 7th Voyage of Sinbad for this price but it is very grainy and soft (like the original film) and I can't recommend this one item. But the first two I can.

Amazon has a special on for a few days for these other Blus (among other ones):

A Passage to India $12.99

Monty Python's Life of Brian $11.99

A Few Good Men $11.99

A reminder that the VCI DVD sale ends today, 50% off everything with the code HALFOFF at www.vcient.com

Dropped in Costco on Saturday and saw they have some nice bargains.

Fox twin packs, $9.99 (each title is in a regular DVD box):

That Night in Rio/Can Can

Weekend in Havana/The Dolly Sisters

My Blue Heaven/Lillian Russell

Stormy Weather/On the Riviera

Daddy Long Legs/ Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

Pin Up Girl/Down Argentine Way

That's a good price, working out to $5 per title.

Charlie Chan vols. 1-4 $26.99 each

Rat Pack Ultimate Collector's Edition $23.99

"The Award Series" (a tin-boxed set of three films that seems to be copying WB.TCM's new movie collections) at $19.99 each:

Soundof Music/Annie Hall/West Side Story

Rocky/The Graduate/ The Apartment

Patton/Midnight Cowboy/Platoon

Dances With Wolves/French Connection/Silence of the Lambs

• 2 weeks later...

INCREDIBLE DEAL on Amazon! Sleeping Beauty Blu-ray and Pinocchio Blu-ray when bought together is supposed to be a discount price of around $36, but when you go into the final order area it has marked it down an additional $10, bringing it in at about $26 for the pair!!! If you see $30 as your total,that is because you have shipping added on, but you can change that to free shipping and get back down to $26.

This will probably not last more than a few hours so jump on it while you can. Look down the page to where you see "Add both to cart" and click on that. It will show $36 at first but proceed to checkout and it should reflect the difference:

http://www.amazon.com/Pinocchio-Anniversary-Platinum-Standard-Blu-ray/dp/B001ILFUDM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1236801342&sr=8-1

Thanx for the info filmlover. Just ordered the two films even though I don't have a Blu Ray machine as yet, the discs do contain SD versions. This is really a great deal. BTW, its $26.98 for both! I was going to wait, but at these prices they never may be repeated. There is no way to find even the SD versions alone at this price.