Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Special Sales of Classic Titles on DVD & Blu-ray

filmlover

Hi, Edge,

Good sales come up. This one, though, I think wasn't meant to be as low as it was. They were taking $10 off one title if you bought both, but somehow I think Amazon misprogrammed it and it took $10 off each.

Glad to hear that you are getting a Blu-ray player. Which models are you looking at? If I may so so, you are best getting either the Sony S350 or even better the Sony S550 (that's the one I have). They also have a few new models coming out in the next few months that will also be able to stream movies, I understand.

If you are looking for sales, Amazon also has a big one on 379 Blu-ray titles right now:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_83717731_1?ie=UTF8&plgroup=1&docId=1000344851&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0227EDY30SQBD8MNYQYW&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=471364431&pf_rd_i=193640011

And there is a great sale going on at Amazon UK. Be sure to check a title on the list link at the bottom of this post to make sure they are not region locked.

Here is a lnk to a region coded list of British Blu discs and it tells if they play here in the U.S.:

http://blurayregioncodes.com/index.php?region=b

Edge, keep an eye on your order summary with Amazon. I have been reading in another forum that some who got in on the deal have been charged about $14 for Pinocchio, but the full $24.49 for Sleeping Beauty, making a total of $36.98. Amazon is tryin to silently fix their error without telling people they are going to pay $10 more. I called them and complained, and they ended up charging me the $36.98 but gave me a $15 credit to use in the future for my trouble, so I guess in a sense I am only paying $21.98 for the pair!

So far (24 hours later) everything seems to be okay re the price I was charged for the Disney flicks. Thanks though for the info. I will keep monitoring the orderr. I heard that Amazon flucuates with their Blu Ray prices all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Amazon has a Gold Box special on today only (Tuesday, the 24th) in selecting either the six pack of the first six Blu-ray releases of James Bond (Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Thunderball, For Your Eyes Only, and Die Another Day) for only $64.95 or the James Bond Ultimate Collector's Set on DVD for $89.95.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=xs_gb_A1OOMYQA4WU3TK/192-0857988-2882745?ie=UTF8&docId=1000351721&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=right-1&pf_rd_r=0HTQ112N0ZJN174VRMNW&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_p=441937901&pf_rd_i=20

• 4 weeks later...

As I write this, Amazon is trying to get their Gold Box deal of the day to work, which is the Blu-ray special box set of *Planet of the Apes 40th Anniversary Collection*. But, in the meantime, you can just go right to the regular page and get it at a special price of $57.95 (MSRP is something like $129.). You get all five movies, plus a very large book, in this set. This is a BARGAIN! When they get the Gold Box page working, don't expect that it will be available all day. I think it will sell out quickly.

Some Blu-ray classics on special:

Fry's Electronic stores have a sale on until next Thursday for a number of Blu-rays, including Kramer vs. Kramer and David Lean's A Passage to India for $11.99 each.

The Warner Bros. online store (www.wbstore.com) has a special this weekend on Blu-rays. Buy 2, get 1 free. And this is on top of 20% off the price at the moment and, apparently, free shipping. This special is only good until the 19th and the keyword you need to enter to get the discount is WEEKEND. Titles include Adventures of Robin Hood and Casablanca.

Amazon has The Searchers on Blu for $11.99 (this a Blu you need to own).

Dropped by Costco today and they have a number of good boxsets at excellent prices:

$16.49:

Bob Hope Movie Legend Collection

Frankie & Annette Collection

Frank SInatra Movie Legend Collection

$24.99:

Katherine Hepburn 100th Anniversary Collection

Errol Flynn vol. 1

Humphrey Bogart Signature Collection vol. 1

Humphrey Bogart Signature Collection vol. 2

Bette Davis Collection vol. 3

Thin Man Collection

Doris Day vol. 2

Tarzan vol. 1

Warner Bros. Western Classics Collection

Robert Mitchum Signature Collection

Astaire & Rogers Collection vol. 2

• 2 weeks later...

Once again, Big Lots has gotten their hands on some very cheap titles from the WB.(You can't order online, just brick and mortar sales) Best I have seen so far!

$3 with a cut out mark in the bar code. More titles that will be deleted???

*Boom Town.*

*Presenting Lily Mars.*

*Best Foot Forward*

*Dance Girl, Dance*

*Lullaby of Broadway*

*Ryans Daughter*

*Roberta*

*Flying Down to Rio*

*Grand Hotel*

*Ten Little Indians*

*Lilith*

*Roman Spring of Mrs Stone*

*Star is Born(Judy Garland version)*

And more I can't think of right now. As always if they are cheap in stores, you can find them dirt cheap on ebay right now, but someday, they will likely be worth some moola, if they really are getting rid of the titles.

If anyone is interested in getting the Murnau, Borzage, and Fox box set at a good

price, it's currently going for $75.06 (plus $2.98 for shipping) at Amazon marketplace. The

sellers are Deep Discount and Digital Eyes. Critics' Choice is also selling it for $75.66.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001EZE5E2/ref=sr_1_olp_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1242017022&sr=1-2

You can sometimes find a serious steal at Amazon marketplace if you keep an eye on it.

Last July 9th, I ran into this deal:

Ford At Fox - The Collection DVD (2007) Ford,John $24.95

Shipping & Handling: $2.98

Your Total: $27.93

Also, Deep Discount has an intriguing "3 DVDs for $20" sale. What makes the sale so very

appealing to me is that Man Hunt, which comes out on May 19th, is available in this

sale. Man Hunt is going for $10.49 at Amazon, so you can basically get

Man Hunt in this sale and two other DVDs for $9.51. Quite a few Fox Studio Classics

and some Fox film noir are available in this sale.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/DVD---3-DVDs-for--20_stcVVcatId483403VVviewcat.htm

Frank, thanks for the notification of the Murnau/Borzage set. That is a good price. I've just put one on order. Crossing my fingers and hope the discs arrive okay. Read horror stories on Amazon that discs come loose in shipping and get scratched.

As for the Ford at Fox one at $25, are you sure that wasn't one of the smaller volumes collected fromt he big collection? However, if you got that big set at that price, you got the bargain of the century!

By the way, deepdiscount and digitaleyes and dvdplanet are all the same company. (It is weird that deepdiscount sells it as a 3rd party for that low price on Amazon new and yet on their own websites sell it for about $175.) (Ouch, I wonder if they marked them way down because they DID hear DVD ratling around loose in the package?)

Dropped into Costco over the weekend. They have the new *TCM Greatest Film Collections* that have just been released. Their price is $14.99 per collection, which is even cheaper than Amazon

($19.49):

Broadway Musicals: Show Boat, Kiss Me, Kate, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, and Annie Get Your Gun.

American Musicals: The Band Wagon, Meet Me in St. Louis, Singin' in the Rain, and Easter Parade.

John Wayne Westerns: The Cowboys, Rio Bravo, Fort Apache, and The Searchers.

Western Adventures: McCabe and Mrs. Miller, The Wild Bunch, Jeremiah Johnson, and The Train Robbers.

WWII Battlefront Europe: Kelly's Heroes, Where Eagles Dare, The Dirty Dozen, and Battleground.

War Battlefront Asia: The Green Berets, Bataan, Back to Bataan, and Destination Tokyo.

Hey, FilmLover -- Frank, thanks for the notification of the Murnau/Borzage set. That

is a good price.

It really is a good price. The lowest I saw before this was about $115 and it was Deep Discount

then, too. That was about two months or so ago.

I've just put one on order. Crossing my fingers and hope the discs arrive okay. Read

horror stories on Amazon that discs come loose in shipping and get scratched.

Yeah, I've read the same. I hope it all works out for you. Let us know how it goes. I'd love

to hear what your thoughts are on the presentation and the rest when you get it.

By the way, deepdiscount and digitaleyes and dvdplanet are all the same company. (It

is weird that deepdiscount sells it as a 3rd party for that low price on Amazon new and

yet on their own websites sell it for about $175.)

I am aware of them being the same and I'm always struck by them selling their DVDs for

cheaper at Amazon marketplace. I don't understand the thinking.

As for the Ford at Fox one at $25, are you sure that wasn't one of the smaller volumes

collected fromt he big collection? However, if you got that big set at that price, you got the

bargain of the century!

It's the real deal. I actually had purchased one of the smaller boxes about seven months

earlier:

1 "Ford At Fox Collection: The Essential John Ford Collection (The Frontier Marshall / My Darling Clementine / Drums Along the Mohawk / How Green Was My Valley / The Grapes of Wrath / Becoming John Ford)"

Henry Fonda; DVD; $24.99

So I have Frontier Marshal because I have this box.

Here's the story:

Last June, I had decided I was going to buy Ford at Fox around my birthday in August, so

I started hawking the box set through Amazon Marketplace. When I started checking, the

price was around $160. I was hoping to get it for that. Well, what soon started happening

was that there was a daily and sometimes hourly bidding war between a couple vendors,

like AstroVideo and another vendor, I forget who now. The daily price war would last for

weeks. It eventually shrank to under $140. I was feeling pretty good about this, since I

was hoping to get the set for $150-160.

Then, in the evening of July 9th, I checked to see where the latest price battle stood only to

see it listed at $24.95. I checked to see if it was a used one and it was brand new. I was in

shock. I quickly ordered it from Import CD and then I hoped not to receive an apology

e-mail about there being a "horrible mistake." I didn't receive this. I received a confirmation

of my order on July 10th and the shipping of the box set on July 12th (Saturday). I think

I received the box set that Friday. I couldn't believe how massive it was.

So, yes, it's very true, I got the legit Ford at Fox box set for $27.93. I think I paid more for

every one of my Warner film noir boxes.

I will say that I'm doubting the Murnau, Borzage, and Fox box set ending up in this range

this summer only because there aren't as many vendors offering it up. There hasn't been

a single bidding war with this set since I've been checking (about four months). "MeChadJ"

is usually listed as the lowest ($159) with the exception of these two moments where

Deep Discount and Digital Eyes offered it for much lower. It's going to be tough to top $75.

And I did notice that Deep Discount's offer is gone, so that must have been your

order. That probably leaves two, if anyone else is interested in getting the set for $75.

They must have been cursing aloud when they saw you were only required to pay $2.98 for shipping on the Ford at Fox set, LOL!!!! The weight alone probably cost them most of the $25 you paid. I think with all the discounts I applied at the time I got my set from Borders, it ended up being $100 approximately. And I do know how heavy that thing is. And, as you know, it isn't the book that makes it so heavy...it's the packaging and the things they have to hold the DVDs (that's the killer!). I really dislike the DVD rubber holders because the discs are on so tight, you get afraid you might snap the DVD in two getting it off, and when you finish playing the DVD you can't get it back on to the rubber holder. Some brains at Fox.

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> So, yes, it's very true, I got the legit Ford at Fox box set for $27.93. I think I paid more for every one of my Warner film noir boxes.

>

That really is the deal of the century! Thanks for the good advice regarding the Ammy marketplace, really good deals are hard to find.

They must have been cursing aloud when they saw you were only required to pay $2.98

for shipping on the Ford at Fox set, LOL!!!! The weight alone probably cost them most

of the $25 you paid.

:D I know! I was not expecting it to be that heavy.

I think with all the discounts I applied at the time I got my set from Borders, it ended up

being $100 approximately.

And that's still one heckuva deal. As I said, I was looking to get it for about $150. I had made

up my mind.

What's crazy is that I now click on the Amazon Marketplace links for certain DVDs to give

them traffic. The entire bidding war between vendors and my daily checking (sometimes

many times in a day) actually convinced me that there is something to clicks to some

vendors. But I may be talking out of my hat.

And, as you know, it isn't the book that makes it so heavy...it's the packaging and

the things they have to hold the DVDs (that's the killer!). I really dislike the DVD rubber

holders because the discs are on so tight, you get afraid you might snap the DVD in

two getting it off, and when you finish playing the DVD you can't get it back on to the rubber holder. Some brains at Fox.

Yes, I'm not a fan of the packaging either. It looks impressive on the outside, but in terms

of actually accessing the doggone DVDs, it's a pain in the rear. I struggle to squeeze my

fingers in the box to get the album out. And I also worried about doing some damage to the

DVDs because of the stupid rubber knobs. I worried about warping, too, but I think that's

not going to be a problem.

Changing gears quickly, is there any word on a special edition of Dodsworth and

The Best Years of Our Lives? Both DVDs look to be headed to OOP. Deep Discount

no longer lists them and only Amazon Marketplace is selling them now.

And since this is the "special sales" thread, I'll repeat my post:

If anyone is interested in getting the Murnau, Borzage, and Fox box set, you can do

so for $75.06 (plus $2.98 for shipping) or $75.66 (plus $2.98 for shipping) at Amazon

Marketplace.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001EZE5E2/ref=sr_1_olp_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1242086418&sr=1-1

Now is the time to start making your lists of things you want to buy, especially box sets. Another three weeks or so and deepdiscount and dvdplanet.com should be having their 20% (maybe even 25%) off their discounted prices on everything.

Yep, I'm getting ready for the upcoming Deep Discount sale. I'll probably spend about

$60. What I'm really hoping happens is that July is full of sales like it was last year. The

one sale I'm most wishing for is the Warner box set sale of "buy one and get the second

free." The Criterion sale usually hits in July, as well, although I'll probably hold off.

I'm also awaiting the titles and release date for the fifth Warner film noir box set. That is

the DVD release of the year for me.

I've been holding off Criterion titles recently, but only because they are starting to issue them on Blu-ray. I've already gotten The Third Man, Last Emperor, and Wages of Fear, waiting now on The Severnth Seal (I have the British Blu release but the Criterion will have more extras).

Ziggy,

Dropped down to Big Lots in downtown L.A. during my lunch break today and saw some of the titles you mentioned (but none of the ones I wanted, such as Ten Little Indians) but saw some that weren't on the either of the two posts below:

$3 each

*Red Badge of Courage*

*The Champ*

*Dillinger*

*Johnny Belinda*

*Man for All Seasons*

*My Favorite Wife*

*Anna Christie*

Also saw a few box sets at the cash register:

*WW II 60th Anniversary Collection (contains Anzio, Caine Mutiny, Das Boot, and Dead Men's Secrets)* $15

*WW II 60th Anniversary Collection (contains Guns of Navarone, From Here to Eternity, The Bridge on the River Kwai)* I think it was $11

I did pick up Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone for $3.