Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Special Sales of Classic Titles on DVD & Blu-ray

filmlover

Recently, FrankGrimes posted here about sellers on Amazon listing the Murnau/Borzage DVD box set for a great discount. Since then, I have been looking more at Amazon private sellers and found this item is excellently priced:

The 6-CD That's Entertainment set. Amazon sells it for $89.98, but a couple sellers have it for about $16 new and sealed. (You might want to skip the one from Soundandvision because I just placed that one on order.) This set was produced by Rhino, which has always been excellent in their CD soundtracks.

http://www.amazon.com/Thats-Entertainment-Fred-E-Ahlert/dp/B000EURO8M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1242762713&sr=1-1

FrankGrimes, I got that Murnau/Borzage set yesterday. It arrived well packed from deepdiscount (another good reason to buy from them). There were about three or four discs that had come loose and have a few minor scratches but I don't blame that on dd. I will be testing those discs out to make sure they are okay. Turns out that Fox didn't put them on the rubber hubs this time. Each disc is in a notched sleeve on a page of an album, averaging 3 discs to a page in the album. Trouble is this is the kind of sleeve that putting things in or taking them out is likely to scratch them. I would be happier if they just put individual slipcases for each on these box sets.

On the plus side, most are single sided DVDs. On the bad side, a couple of them aren't, leading to more chance for scratches...and which ones do they choose for the double-sided DVDs: Sunrise and Seventh Heaven, the two most important films in the box.

There are also two softcover books. One that is basically a pictorial on Murnau and Borzage, but still nice. The other is dedicated to the lost film, The Devils.

On the whole, I am definitely happy to have this set at the $70 or so I paid for it. I hope others here picked up on the special prive when FrankGrimes mentioned it because now the price is about $130 with Amazon's third party sellers.

Amazon has a sale on now (ending 5/28) for some Blu-rays, and there are a few classics that have excellent picture quality I want to recommend picking up at these lowered prices:

*The Wild Bunch $12.99*

*Viva Las Vegas $12.99*

*Jailhouse Rock $12.99*

*Adventures of Robin Hood $15.49*

*Enter the Dragon $13.49*

*The Cowboys $13.49*

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=br_lf_m_1000375771_grlink_1?ie=UTF8&plgroup=1&docId=1000375771

Not included in the sale, but also on Amazon, a must-have for incredible picture quality:

The Searchers $11.99. While it looked excellent on DVD, when I watch this particular movie on Blu-ray I feel I am right there on the set watching it being filmed.

They also have the That's Entertainment Trilogy for $51.99 but I have to say, "Don't buy it!" Warners needs to remaster this badly. Even the DVD set they came out with a few years ago doesn't stand up picture-wise.

Hey, FilmLover -- Since the sales talk looks to be slow right now, I thought I'd reply to

your post.

You should consider starting a DVD discussion thread where those of us who are

interested in DVDs can talk without disrupting a thread like this one. I know you have the

individual genre threads, but I'm talking about a general discussion kind of thread. It's good

to just chit-chat about DVDs without major restraint. You know, "DVD Water Cooler."

I got that Murnau/Borzage set yesterday. It arrived well packed from deepdiscount (another good reason to buy from them).

You're right, Deep Discount is pretty darn good at packaging. I've also noticed that I'm now

receiving packages from them a little sooner, too. This makes the free shipping even better.

There were about three or four discs that had come loose and have a few minor scratches but I don't blame that on dd. I will be testing those discs out to make sure they are okay.

Did you test those discs out? I hope they are okay.

Turns out that Fox didn't put them on the rubber hubs this time. Each disc is in a notched sleeve on a page of an album, averaging 3 discs to a page in the album. Trouble is this is the kind of sleeve that putting things in or taking them out is likely to scratch them. I would be happier if they just put individual slipcases for each on these box sets.

Boy, am I ever with you on this. For the most recent DVD season of The Simpsons,

season 11, Fox decided to go "green" with the packaging, which means sleeves. They are

awful and quite worrisome for scratches.

On the plus side, most are single sided DVDs. On the bad side, a couple of them aren't, leading to more chance for scratches...and which ones do they choose for the double-sided DVDs: Sunrise and Seventh Heaven, the two most important films in the box.

I've heard others issue this complaint and it's a seriously valid one.

There are also two softcover books. One that is basically a pictorial on Murnau and

Borzage, but still nice. The other is dedicated to the lost film, The Devils.

The inclusion of a book seems to be the latest trend for "special edition" DVDs. This is

where the price hike often occurs.

On the whole, I am definitely happy to have this set at the $70 or so I paid for it.

I'm glad you took the plunge. I highly doubt you'll see a better price for the set than the one

you paid. I cannot see a Ford at Fox deal coming along like the one I got last summer. If

the Murnau, Borzage, Fox box drops to $75 again later in the year, I may get it myself. My

problem is that I'm mostly interested in Murnau. I will be getting the latest Kino Murnau box

before this one.

Have you been able to watch any of the films since you last posted?

Hope this is the place to post this!

Was in Costco today and they have official Fox box sets of both the Warner Oland "Charlie Chans" (Volumes 1-3) and Sidney Toler "Charlie Chans" (Volumes 1-4) for $19.99 each. Each set has bonus features.

Hi, Lynn,

I was in Costco today, too. I think you meant that they have the four volumes of Charlie Chan (Oland was in the first three and Toler took over in the fourth). The other two volumes you may have spotted were the Mr. Moto vols. 1 and 2, which I mentioned previously that Costco has now at $16.99.

UPDATED 6/1/09:

I mentioned a few days ago that the following Blu-ray classic titles were on special on Amazon, but Adventures of Robin Hood has now been lowered to $11.49 and other drops as well, including Rio Bravo is now $12.99, too (but I don't think it makes a great Blu, unfortunately), as is The Dirty Dozen and some others I have added below. These will make great Father's Day presents:

The Wild Bunch $11.49

Viva Las Vegas $12.99

Jailhouse Rock $12.99

Adventures of Robin Hood $11.49

Enter the Dragon $13.49

The Cowboys $13.49

The Dirty Dozen $12.99

The Searchers (a great Blu-ray!) $7.99

Dog Day Afternoon $12.99

Superman the Movie $12.99

The Shining $13.49

Bullitt $11.49

Oh, and Fry's has a special in thier stores until Thursday:

A Bridge Too Far $11.99

Battle of Britain $11.99

Message was edited by: filmlover

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> I mentioned a few days ago that the following Blu-ray classic titles were on special on Amazon, but Adventures of Robin Hood has now been lowered to $12.99 from $15.49 and Rio Bravo is now $12.99, too (but I don't think it makes a great Blu, unfortunately)

Peter,

What did you find lacking in the Rio Bravo blu-ray? I think at $12.99 it's a pretty good deal. I didn't buy it, but I did rent it from Netflix and thought the image was pretty impressive, albeit not quite as impressive as The Searchers, but pretty good nonetheless. (And certainly _much_ better than it looked on TCM last time it was shown)

I confess I didn't spend too much time looking at the extras... was that what you thought was lacking?

WOW! The Searchers on Blu-ray is on special at Amazon for only $7.99. I have also revised the other titles below for price drops this morning. I will say again, the Searchers is a MUST HAVE. One of the best picture quality Blu discs you will find!

Am reposting this since I put this under new releases in error:

Got an e-mail from Oldies.Com. They are having a hugh FOX box sale. Many of these titles have already been on sale before at Amazon. Some are very good prices, others OK. All the Charlie Chan's are selling for $29.95, Grable at $29.95 also Mansfield. All the Temple box sets I believe are $14.99. Others on sale include Laurel & Hardy and Hemingway Box. Not included are the Tyrone Power, Alice Faye or Carmen Miranda or Mr. Moto. Guess the latter sold very well. Can't understand why Grable did not sell as well as Faye. Very odd. And FOX now seems to at a standstill re new sets. Hope this changes in the fall. They have released so many good sets and have done such a good job.

It probably depends on the Costco and what they have in stock...I was at Costco Monday night hoping to get Vol. 1 of MR. MOTO at that price but no MOTO or CHAN in stock... That tends to be how Costco is, though, it's hit or miss. I plan to try again in a few days.

Take a look in today?s Sunday newspaper. There could be a sheet with manufacturer?s coupons from Sony for a number of DVDs and Blu-rays. Included among them:

Save $3 on any *Three Stooges* chronological DVD volume set

Save $5 on *Dr. Strangelove* or *Ghostbusters* Blu-ray (both due out on Tuesday, the 16th)

Save $10 on the *Jack Lemmon Film Collection*

Save $10 on the *Norman Lear Collection*

Obviously, these won?t work on Amazon or Costco, but they will good at Best Buy and I would expect at Fry?s and other brick-and-mortar stores.

On a separate note, if you bought any of the four volumes of *The Best of Abbott and Costello*, those compilation of movies, you might take care of them. I was down at Amoeba Music and they have the four volumes priced at over $50 each, due to being pout of print. I remember when they would show up on Amazon in sales for $10 each.