Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Special Sales of Classic Titles on DVD & Blu-ray

filmlover

I found Amoeba to be a rip off store. Never buy anything there. Can't understand the crowds, since they are more expensive than buying online. Used to trade in my lasers. Depending on the person doing the trading at times they will give you almost nothing. I do better selling my DVD's and lasers on line.

Selling or trading at Amoeba can be a mixed bag, for sure. I suppose in many cases you can get more selling directly online, but it can take longer. Now that ammy has a DVD/blu-ray trade-in policy, it's yet another option to consider, although personally I haven't bothered to compare what they offer for specific titles.

In any event, I think it's a good time to be getting rid of DVD titles that can be upgraded to blu-ray; their worth is going to continue to decrease. Even if you don't get a lot, it's better than nothing.

I just came back from Costco, checking to see if they had anything new. They had the usual misc. boxsets mentioned before, nothing exciting...until I did see one set there that had a price that nearly made my eyes bug out.

The John Wayne/John Ford Film Collection. You know, the one with The Searchers Ultimate Collectors Edition, the 2-DVD Stagecoach, Wings of Eagles, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, 3 Godfathers, Fort Apache, They Were Expendable, and The Long Voyage Home.

Price? $19.99.

Remember when the street price was $79.98? Even Amazon's low price of $29.99 doesn't come close to Costco's.

Peter,

I'm really grateful to you for mentioning the flyer from Sony Pictures on Sunday papers today (apparently, it may be a nationwide flyer). I got the coupons and since I already have a $5 Best Buy rewards coupon, I get to save $10 on either Ghostbusters or Dr. Strangelove. I'll probably go with Ghostbusters because of the nostalgia factor.

As for the John Wayne-John Ford set, the reason it is being so heavily discounted, I assume, is probably because the set is going to be repackaged in the Fall to include the Peter Bogdanovich documentary Directed by John Ford, so retailers must be eager to get rid of existing stock.

I never had a problem selling DVD's on Amazon. I price them fairly and they go quite quickly. Sold several that I recently updated to Blu Ray (including THE SEARCHERS, SOUTH PACIFIC and AMERICAN IN PARIS. I also sell books, will sometimes go slowly, but I am patient.

> {quote:title=Edgecliff wrote:}{quote}

> I never had a problem selling DVD's on Amazon. I price them fairly and they go quite quickly. Sold several that I recently updated to Blu Ray (including THE SEARCHERS, SOUTH PACIFIC and AMERICAN IN PARIS. I also sell books, will sometimes go slowly, but I am patient.

Oh, I wasn't referring to selling used videos on the Amazon marketplace - I was referring to the Amazon trade-in store, where you just print out a mailing label, send the DVDs/BDs to Amazon, and get Amazon gift card credit for them.

And speaking of ammy, it seems that June 8-12 will be dedicated to High-Definition specials on their "Gold Box" section.

Discovered the code word "SONYPIC5" (that's the number 5 at the end, not the letter S) works on Amazon in the checkout section for Dr.Strangelove and Ghostbusters Blu-rays, taking $5 off each, just like going into the stores with the coupon but saving tax.

It may work on other Sony titles but you would have to experiment.

I did try amending it to SONYPIC10 to see if it would reduce the Jack Lemmon Collection by the $10 like the coupon in the Sunday paper but it didn't work. However, I treid SONYPIC3, for the three dollar discount on the Three Stooges and that did work.

Today's Gold Box special is the complete Firefly on blu-ray, marked down 56%.

Also (this is not part of the Gold Box deals), ammy's marked the Pink Panther Ultimate Collection down 60% to just under $80 - not a bad deal for a set that contains all but one of the classic Pink Panther movies, plus all the animated series based on them, and a nice book.

Here's an update on the promotion codes on Amazon. As mentioned yesterday, I placed a pre-order for Ghostbusters and Dr. Strangelove, both on Blu, and used the code SONYPIC5 to get $5 off each.

Today, I discovered an even better deal. Go into Amazon, start from scratch with a new order, add Ghostbusters to your cart at $19.99, proceed to the checkout area and where it says do you want to apply a promotional code, use SONYPIC5 as before, then click "APPLY". It will take your price down by $5. After it has done so, then type in the code GHOSTBLU in the same box, and it will take off an additional $5, bringing the price down to $9.99.

Before checking out, you can then go back a few pages and add Dr. Strangelove, if you want it, into your order and when you get to the checkout page, it should be applying $5 more off that price. Then click on the free shipping since it is over $25.

It brought my order of Ghostbusters and Strangelove to $27.48, shipping included. I cancelled my previous order with them.

This double code thing may not work for too long today, so I would get in and order it now.

I believe GHOSTBUSTERS is not due to be released until June 16. However, I cannot find a listing for $19.95 on AMAZON. The only listing is for a private collector and the disc price is $22.99. I am not sure why Amazon is not listing GHOSTBUSTERS for sale.

Edge, read my measage under yours. As mentioned, Amazon did have the listing up but probably pulled it temporarily because too many people were taking advantage of what may have been a glitch with it accepting two discounts instead of one. The listing will return shortly, I am certain, but probably fixed so you can apply only one code. As I said, I will update this when I have more info.

filmlover, thanx. I suspected something like this. Although not sure if I want to order GHOSTBUSTERS at all. But the big discount price was tempting. BTW, I heard a rumor that DDD big sale won't start until next month. But the bad news is I heard the sale will go back to 20% off. This is a bit of a disappointment since I have lots to order this year.

Universal is releasing ALI BABA AND THE 40 THIEVIES as well as TRAIL OF THE LONESOME PINE in July so that is two more that I could add to the list.

Hoping that WBHV announces some good titles for fall release. I thought the ESTHER WILLIAMS COLLECTION would be released in September.

Took advantage of special AMAZON deal of buy 3 Blu Ray, get $4 off each. Since DDD is supposed to go back to 20% this is a sweeter deal from AMAZON. All three discs were $18.99 each: THE SAND PEBBLES, THE ROBE and SOUTH PACIFIC. Only have one more want: DIARY OF ANNE FRANK which is being released on June 16. Also getting a good deal on GIGI, Blu Ray from WBSHOP with the 30% off they gave me for their survey. Love these kind of specials.

Somebody just posted over at Amazon that the deepdiscount sale is now on and that the discount is 25%. He said the code (or one of the ones) is LATIMES. I went to ddd and tried an experiment of trying to put things into the cart but the site is acting all wacky. I put things into the cart, but they don't show. Or else they show and the code doesn''t work. They may be getting the site ready for the sale, but check back (AND BE CAREFUL...all the clicking trying to get items into the cart may end up showing several copies of the same or wrong title).

Just checked the DDD website and it said LATIMES code is not valid. Is someone trying to pull your leg? Many said the sale would not start until July. Will check the site again later or tomorrow.

Message was edited by: Edgecliff

Hi, Edge,

Just now I was looking on another site and several people said they got in and got a couple of deals before it went down. One person contacted DD customer service and the service rep apologized, saying it went up accidentally, and that the sale would either be at the end of this month or sometime next month.

Oh, by the way, the three titles you picked...you are going to be very pleased with them. PQ is amazing. By the way, did you get Quo Vadis? And please tell me you have The Searchers! (if you don't, it's still $7.99 on Amazon)

filmlover, I'm glad the DDD sale is not ready to begin since I just spent quite a bit of money on Blu Ray although I got some good buys. Yes, I did buy THE SEARCHERS (who could resist the price), THE WILD BUNCH and SUPERMAN from the Amazon super sale. Also bought DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL and GOLDFINGER Blu Rays from Columbia House. They had another buy one get one free. It came to about $15.50 per disc with postage I have yet to decide about QUO VADIS. I do have the SD version. I could buy this disc from WBSHOP and use my 30% off which would be a little more than $16, but I would need to sell my SD version on Amazon. Have to think if I want this disc in Blu Ray. Am getting GIGI for the 30% off. Lots of good sales if you look hard enough. Staying away from current film releases since they really don't interest me.

Are you buying anything from WBSHOP? I am only thinking about ONE SUNDAY AFTERNOON. I am mainly intested in WB or MGM musicals from the 40's and 50s.

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings