Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Special Sales of Classic Titles on DVD & Blu-ray

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Edge, meant to mention that.

Some of the desirable pre-order releases were at 50% for a few hours but B&N changed their prices upward, unfortunately. Among them 12 Angry Men. But you can still get - at least for now - Rules of the Game for $19.99.

By the way, if you are an AAA member, sign in throught the AAA website, then to the discount section, and click on the link to Barnes & Noble, you get 10% off the reduced prices. Oh, free shipping is available on orders over $25, which is not hard to spend.

There are 20% off and 15% off coupons but for one item, and 10% off for the entire order. However, when you go through AAA.com first so to get the 10%, it cannot be combined with the coupons. A lot of people have more luck when they join B&N and get additional discounts, but that costs $25, I think.

I placed my order through AAA and spent just over $100 in order to get BillMeLater with no interest for 6 months (want to keep money on hand for upcoming BF sales). Ordered Criterions on Blu: Beauty and the Beast, Island of Lost Souls, and The Four Feathers plus DVD sets of Mike Hammer: the Complete Collection (Darren McGavin) and Eleanor & Frankin Double Feature.

I might place one more order before the sale ends. Rules of the Game and Fanny & Alexander come out before the sale ends. Unfortunately, 12 Angry men comes out the day after it ends.

Are you getting anything?

I love dropping in to Costco at thos time of year because it is the season that they put out boxsets at a reasonable price, sometimes new ones, sometimes old ones.

This is what I saw there tonight:

All at $14.99 each

TCM Charlie Chan Collection

Bogart and Bacall box set

Tracy and Hepburn Definitive Collecion

Natalie Wood Collection

Martin Scorcese Collection

Marx Bros. Collection

TCM Doris Day Collection

West Side Story came on Blu-ray today. Amazon has it now for $17.99 for the 3 disc set. Target has it for the same price but it is in a digibook edition, exclusive to Target the way that they hand a Sound of Music digibook edition.

If you are referring to the Blu-ray.com reviewer saying there is a fade to black section at the end of the overture, I didn't see it on the Taget edition I got last night. I also didn't see any shimmer in the opening shot of the buildings, but I will look again.

Several people on blu-ray.com have said they are not seeing those problems at all. It might have just been that limited edition the reviewer got.

The Target digibook edition is not likely to last long on the shelves, and apparently Fox is going to be offering a replacement program, so I don't think anyone will lose out by buying now.

Went to TARGET today (11/16) to check out WSS. I was not aware of other reviews on this release. Its hard to believe there are other pressings of the discs. Amazon is now selling WSS for $16.99 but I assume this is not the digipak. All I saw at Target was the 3 disc version for $19.95. I think I still prefer to do a wait and see. Oddly enough, although I like the film. it is not one of my favorites and I am in no hurry to purchase the BR

Edited by: Edgecliff on Nov 16, 2011 7:49 PM

A new VCI sale, a repeat of last year's "12 Days of Christmas". Each day is different. (They also have a 25% off bonus on everything else if you use the code HUMBUG.

Today:

First up is a British comedy bundle - Terry Thomas Double Feature" AND "Diana Dors Double Feature." Get both DVD's for the amazing price of $16.99. Films are Make Mine Mink, Too Many Crooks, An Alligator Named Daisy, and Value for Money.

• 2 weeks later...

Amazon has a great price on their exclusive Citizen Kane Blu-ray, packaged with the Magnificent Ambersons DVD. It is only $32.99. I don't expect this price to be there long (it was $72 yesterday!), so grab it!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Exclusive-Anniversary-Collectors-Magnificent-Ambersons/dp/B001PIHH5M/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1323903651&sr=8-6

the *Universal Pre-Code Hollywood Collection* that came out a few years back, w/ six early-1930's Paramount titles rarely or never seen on TCM, such as *The Cheat* (Tallulah Bankhead, 1931), *Merrily We Go to Hell* (Sylvia Sydney, Fredrick March, 1932), *Hot Saturday* (Nancy Carroll, Cary Grant, 1932), *Torch Singer* (Claudette Colbert, Ricardo Cortez, 1933), *Murder at the Vanities* (1934), and *Search for Beauty* (Ida Lupino, Toby Wing, 1934), is currently available at Amazon for only $12.50. That's the cheapest I've seen it yet.

I went ahead and bought it (from Newberry Comics via Amazon), and even with the free shipping option it already arrived! So far i've only watched *Murder at the Vanities*, but it was really great! IMO that movie alone was well worth the $12.50 to me. Duke Ellington! topless dancers! Toby Wing being a flirty babe! and the murder mystery storyline was pretty good too.

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}That is an excellent price. I am tempted. Note, though, it may be fulfilled from Amazon, but it is being sold by a 3rd party.

A tiny Criterion DVD sale is going on on Amazon until 6 AM PST (9 ET) today. These are the titles:

Essential Art House 4 - $24.99 (75% off)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002E01MBU?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Essential Art House Forbidden Games - $7.99 (60% off)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001WLMON2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Essential Art House Tales of Hoffman - $7.99 (60% off)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002E01MAQ?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Peeping Tom - $14.99 (62% off)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0780022629?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The Small Back Room - $14.99 (62% off)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019X400I?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

i got the Universal Pre-Code Hollywood Collection for Christmas last year, it's one of my favorites. Murder at the Vanities is definitely the best in the set, followed by the Cheat and Search for Beauty. it's still selling for $12.52 and i recommend it to everyone. also, looks like the TCM Archives Forbidden Hollywood vols 2 & 3 are only $15.99-$16.99 each right now, also well worth the price for some outstanding movies. and another great Universal Backlot title, Cleopatra 75th Anniversary edition is only $5.39.