Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Special Sales of Classic Titles on DVD & Blu-ray

Thanx filmlover. Am trying to be selective with my purchases but with so much coming out I still buy quite a quite bit. Spent $95 at the Archives for their sale but did save $30 including the two new FORBIDDEN HOLLYWOOD COLLECTIONS. Very selective on this site. Some new br like BABY JANE I pass on and much of the Screen Archives which seem like not very good films. Might purchase RAINS OF RANCHIPUR. I am not interest in most of the upcoming WB anniversary BR's except for GRAND HOTEL and MRS. MINIVER and maybe one other title. No foreIgn or TV for either. Selective also on the Olive titles which are too expensive except for used on Amazon. And I wonder what titles WB will release from the Paramount library.

Edge, I would recommend spending $25 for a year's membership with Barnes & Noble. With a good use of membership coupons and discount codes, it pays for itself right away. I signed up in June at the time of their last Criterion sale and made back that $25 right away. And today I decided to pick up three titles (Battle of Algiers, The Leopard, and Smiles of a Summer Night). Members also get 10% more off the discounted price. On these three, I saved $7 for being a member, plus $8 with one coupon and $5 with another one, plus $5 for a "Buzz" code. Savings: $25 on top of the 50% off the Criterion list price. Total out the door with tax for the three Criterions was $49.78 (and The Leopard and The Battle of Algiers are two of their thick, more expensive releases)

By the way, you mentioned there were only about two titles you were interested in at this time. Next week, Rashomon comes out.

I was tempted by The Gainsborough DVD set, but I have one or maybe two of the titles that a friend in the UK records for me off their TV.

FilmLover, did you get $8 off on a Criterion title? Was this $8 off one $40 DVD? Does B&N use the list price when the Criterion DVDs are on sale for half off? I'm trying to figure this one out.

I did use the $5 off a $50 purchase in July. I'll be doing that again during this sale.

I chose to join B&N in July, as well. I had planned to spend $300 on Criterions this year, so I viewed the membership the same as being handed five bucks since 10% off (member discount) of $300 is $30 and the membership is $25.

B&N is now my place to get Criterions since Amazon never offers Criterions for 50% off anymore unless you find a seller at Marketplace.

I was hoping Kino titles were part of this sale but they don't look to be. I wanted to try and get the new Fritz Lang releases for 50% off.

Universal had some kind of sale at Amazon today. I was able to get Alfred Hitchcock Presents (Season Five) for $11.49 and the Pre-Code Hollywood Collection for $10.99. The sale has seemingly disappeared.

Also, about two weeks ago, the Marketplace seller i-Deals was offering some titles for very low prices, such as $1 or $2 plus shipping ($2.98). I ordered nine titles but they ended up canceling six of them, claiming they were "out of stock." I still ended up getting the Jean Harlow Collection for $9.98 and *Moonfleet* (Warner Archives) for $3.98.

Some strange doings.

Frank,

All three titles I listed are Criterion. The coupons I presented were "$8 Off One DVD or Blu-ray" and "$5 Off Purchase of $50 or More".

As I mentioned, I took the three titles to the cashier and just gave him the coupons and the Buzz number to apply the discounts as he saw fit. In my case, I was lucky that he stacked them, but another cashier could have gotten down to each one and explained some may not apply. For example, let's take The Leopard. It is a $49.99 title. Normally, yes, the $8 coupon should be good, but that could also be rejected because once they apply the sale discount of 50%, that brings it down to $25, so the coupon may not be eligible since it is now under $40.

Your best bet is just to take your purchases in a pile to them give them all the coupons and let them work it out. If they argure, well, see what you can do with a manager because they are sometimes just glad to have a sale and will work with you.

filmlover, B&N website must be still screwed up. Would not take my coupon. Said I used it before and the Wicked Collection is not available from them only other parties. How in the world could that will. Will try to call and order online but it is hard to get through.

filmlover,did yu order the two Kazan sets from FOX connect? Finally put thru my order to B&N but subbed 12 ANGRY MEN for the Wicked set. Got an additional $4 off for the order. I hadn't realized there is a B&N in Glendale and I was there on Friday so I could have gone to that store and still used the online coupon. BTW ImportsCD has many Olive BRs for a decent price again.

No, I haven't ordered the Kazan sets yet. I've read a description from one person who has them and he said "though the bds do look a bit sharper, neither film exhibits the clarity and detail of the better bds of b&w classics that are out there."

There is also a B&N at the Grove (next to the Farmer's Market).

Filmlover, are those B&N stores well stocked with Criterion titles? Thanx I am aware of the Grove store. Do not have a car so its a trek to go there and I would have to call to see if they have what I want in stock. Heard they sometimes get only one or two copies of a title.

I am only interested in the second set of Kazan titles most of which are rare unlike Vol 1.

Some titles, there can be a number of copies, otheres may have one or two. You best bet is to look online and use the tool to find out which stores have a title you want, then call them and see if they can hold it for you.

Big mixup with B&N the original order just went through even tho B&N said it did not. I should have waited. Will send the second order back to b&N since it duplicates ROSEMARY'S BABY. Followup...now they stupidly cancelled this order. Brain dead people.

Edited by: Edgecliff on Nov 5, 2012 1:53 PM

filmlover, IMPORTSCD is having a 10% off their regular prices sale through 11/20. Olive titles are quite cheap. I bought BRs or LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN, BODY AND SOUL and pre-ordered THE QUIET MAN all for $12.99 ea. For some reason INDISCREET was not up for pre order.