Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
filmlover

Special Sales of Classic Titles on DVD & Blu-ray

I've already made my order this morning: Matewan, Olivier's Richard III, Chaplin's The Circus, and a Blu-ray upgrade of The Night of the Hunter.

This may be my last Criterion buying binge, as I now have all of the titles that I want from them. Hopefully they'll release some stuff I'm interested in next year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BingFan said:

Criterion just announced its 50%-off sale at Barnes & Noble, running Nov. 1 to Dec. 1:

NEWSLETTER - NOVEMBER 1, 2019

668a70d9-3457-4428-a995-1216db635b56.jpg

Roar! Starting today, all Criterion Blu-rays and DVDs are 50% off at Barnes & Noble, both online and in stores! 

This includes new editions of When We Were Kings, Matewan, 3 Silent Classics by Josef von Sternberg, and Häxan. You can also preorder our upcoming releases of The Daytrippers, Cold War, Betty Blue, Now, Voyager, and All About Eve. The sale runs through December 1.

3a439c93-3f86-4a68-aad8-f8f49f5ae4b6.jpg

Cluny Brown and The Circus, here I come!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I've already made my order this morning: Matewan, Olivier's Richard III, Chaplin's The Circus, and a Blu-ray upgrade of The Night of the Hunter.

This may be my last Criterion buying binge, as I now have all of the titles that I want from them. Hopefully they'll release some stuff I'm interested in next year.

I have The Night of the Hunter, but the regular DVD studio release.  I'm trying to decide if the Criterion is worthwhile?? It probably is, as I have duplicates of other films that I've upgraded to Criterion.

I'll have to make 2 Criterion lists: ones I'll ask for for Christmas and ones that I REALLY want and I'll buy myself. Lol. 

I had to clear out another section of my bookshelf to fit in my Criterion, as I keep them all together, by type (blu ray vs dvd) and then alphabetically.  They're next to my Fox Film Noir collection. 

I have 2 more Chaplins to upgrade: The Kid and The Gold Rush.  But those aren't the top of my list.  I would also purchase Harold Lloyd's Safety Last

I liked Make Way For Tomorrow but it was also really sad.  I'm not sure how apt I'd be to want to watch it again and again, though I did like the film.

I haven't watched 39 Steps yet, so maybe I'll want it???? I don't know.

There's a bunch of Criterion films that I have on my DVR that I haven't seen to know if I want them or not.  Perhaps I should prioritize watching those this month while the sale is still going on. 

I do want:

The Blob (**SPOILER ALERT** despite the annoying Helen Crump not being killed by the blob)

Spellbound (if it's in print still... I'm not sure if it is?)

12 Angry Men ... maybe?? I'm trying to decide. I enjoyed the film, but would I watch it again and again. I do not care for Lee J Cobb, but thought his tendency to over-act worked well in this film.

On the Waterfront... I actually have this film. I liked it. I actually saw it in the theater too. I am not a fan of Marlon Brando, but I thought he did an excellent job in this film and his mumbling worked for his character. Ugh and this film has both Lee J Cobb and Rod Steiger (who I also dislike for the same reasons as Cobb) AND I still liked the film.  Maybe that reason in and of itself is a reason to get the Criterion release.

Red River.  This film was pretty good. I like Montgomery Clift. Not a big John Wayne fan (his movies run together for me), and not a Westerns fan, but I did like this film...

Cluny Brown. Must have.

Holiday. Comes out in Jan. Maybe??

All About Eve. Must have.

Now Voyager. Must have.

I think I only have a few films that I really want and others that where I feel like I'm rationalizing buying them for the sake of buying them.  I may need to watch some more of my Criterion releases on the DVR and then make a decision if I want to purchase anything.

Have I reached the point where there is nothing left to purchase during the Criterion sales? Say it isn't so!

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 4:53 PM, speedracer5 said:

I had to clear out another section of my bookshelf to fit in my Criterion, as I keep them all together, by type (blu ray vs dvd) and then alphabetically.  They're next to my Fox Film Noir collection. 

Darn your post! It inspired me to separate my Criterion movies, as well. I separated my Blu-rays from the DVD's a few weeks back, as they fit on the shelves better that way. 

So today I separated the Criterion Blu-rays from the other Blu-rays, and the Criterion DVD's from the other DVD's. They do look nicer that way! I also separated some of the other "fancier" company releases, including the Shout/Scream Factory releases, the Arrow Video releases, the Olive Signature releases (I only have two of those, Invasion of the Body Snatchers and The Quiet Man), the AGFA releases, and finally the single Eureka Blu-ray I have (Fright Night).

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Darn your post! It inspired me to separate my Criterion movies, as well. I separated my Blu-rays from the DVD's a few weeks back, as they fit on the shelves better that way. 

So today I separated the Criterion Blu-rays from the other Blu-rays, and the Criterion DVD's from the other DVD's. They do look nicer that way! I also separated some of the other "fancier" company releases, including the Shout/Scream Factory releases, the Arrow Video releases, the Olive Signature releases (I only have two of those, Invasion of the Body Snatchers and The Quiet Man), the AGFA releases, and finally the single Eureka Blu-ray I have (Fright Night).

Lol. I have my Criterion separated, and then I have my Fox Film Noir together on 2 shelves. I think I have 5 shelves of Criterion. They're small shelves though, each one fits about 10 movies.

I need to pull my Kino and Olive out and put those together as well. I think I have 5 Olive? I have a few more Kino. I won't really know until I put them together.  If I want to get really crazy, I could try and put my Fox Film Cinema Classics together (of which I think I have 2?) and my Universal Vault releases (I have maybe 5?). Then I could get really crazy and put all my Warner Brother Archives together.  I have tons of those.  Darn those 4/$44 sales! 

IMG-0321.jpg IMG-0322.jpg

IMG-0323.jpgIMG-0324.jpg

• Like 2

Does anyone know if WB Archives will be having their 4 for $44 sale for Black Friday?

On 11/1/2019 at 4:53 PM, speedracer5 said:

I have The Night of the Hunter, but the regular DVD studio release.  I'm trying to decide if the Criterion is worthwhile?? It probably is, as I have duplicates of other films that I've upgraded to Criterion.

I'll have to make 2 Criterion lists: ones I'll ask for for Christmas and ones that I REALLY want and I'll buy myself. Lol. 

I have 2 more Chaplins to upgrade: The Kid and The Gold Rush.  But those aren't the top of my list.  I would also purchase Harold Lloyd's Safety Last

I liked Make Way For Tomorrow but it was also really sad.  I'm not sure how apt I'd be to want to watch it again and again, though I did like the film.

I haven't watched 39 Steps yet, so maybe I'll want it???? I don't know.

There's a bunch of Criterion films that I have on my DVR that I haven't seen to know if I want them or not.  Perhaps I should prioritize watching those this month while the sale is still going on. 

I do want:

The Blob (**SPOILER ALERT** despite the annoying Helen Crump not being killed by the blob)

Spellbound (if it's in print still... I'm not sure if it is?)

12 Angry Men ... maybe?? I'm trying to decide. I enjoyed the film, but would I watch it again and again. I do not care for Lee J Cobb, but thought his tendency to over-act worked well in this film.

On the Waterfront... I actually have this film. I liked it. I actually saw it in the theater too. I am not a fan of Marlon Brando, but I thought he did an excellent job in this film and his mumbling worked for his character. Ugh and this film has both Lee J Cobb and Rod Steiger (who I also dislike for the same reasons as Cobb) AND I still liked the film.  Maybe that reason in and of itself is a reason to get the Criterion release.

Red River.  This film was pretty good. I like Montgomery Clift. Not a big John Wayne fan (his movies run together for me), and not a Westerns fan, but I did like this film...

Cluny Brown. Must have.

Holiday. Comes out in Jan. Maybe??

All About Eve. Must have.

Now Voyager. Must have.

I think I only have a few films that I really want and others that where I feel like I'm rationalizing buying them for the sake of buying them.  I may need to watch some more of my Criterion releases on the DVR and then make a decision if I want to purchase anything.

Have I reached the point where there is nothing left to purchase during the Criterion sales? Say it isn't so!

I have everything in print I want from Criterion right now. My great white whale is a reasonably priced copy of the OOP Blu "The Man Who Fell to Earth". That'll be the day.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 10:01 AM, speedracer5 said:

Does anyone know if WB Archives will be having their 4 for $44 sale for Black Friday?

So if I'd waited a few days, I'd see the answer to my question:

YES! The sale goes through 12/2. 

https://www.wbshop.com/collections/warner-archive-4-for-44 

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I don't mean to have this ongoing conversation with myself...

Ugh! I just went through the sale and put things in my cart and I think I have too much.  Lol.  

4 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I don't mean to make your task more complex, but Oldies.com and Amazon both have a bunch of Warner Archives marked down for black Friday at price points often several dollars cheaper per film than the actual archive does.

And how do you search for stuff on the Archive? They took away the "Search by decade" feature. The whole interface is so clumsy.

10 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

I don't mean to make your task more complex, but Oldies.com and Amazon both have a bunch of Warner Archives marked down for black Friday at price points often several dollars cheaper per film than the actual archive does.

And how do you search for stuff on the Archive? They took away the "Search by decade" feature. The whole interface is so clumsy.

I know. I was also upset that they removed the search by decade filter. 

i was searching with a combination of looking at the list of Warner archive releases on (I think) oldies.com, which does have a search by year feature **and** I was also searching for my favorite actors and looking at what’s available. 

14 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I know. I was also upset that they removed the search by decade filter. 

i was searching with a combination of looking at the list of Warner archive releases on (I think) oldies.com, which does have a search by year feature **and** I was also searching for my favorite actors and looking at what’s available. 

Yep, I was using Oldies to search for titles too. I really have all of the classic Archive collection stuff I want until they put out another set of Pete Smith. I may look at some of the 70s and 80s stuff in the Archive tomorrow, mainly made for TV movies or  some of the TV series that never made it to DVD and likely will never be on TCM. So much of the Archive activity is focused on putting out on Blu films that were in very neat little collections of DVD films that were pressed and released 2003-2008. I think I'll stick with my pressed DVD stuff. For example, I'm more than happy with my original Thin Man DVD collection with all of the extras.

• Like 1

Lame! I had all my purchases in my cart and was trying to decide what items to remove and I waited too long--4/$44 sale is over! 

Ugh. It's probably just as well.

Does anyone know if the Criterion Flash sales happen around the same times each year? Or are they random?

Criterion site flash sale for the next 24 hours. 2/25 to 2/26.

Happy birthday to me. :lol:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Criterion site flash sale for the next 24 hours. 2/25 to 2/26.

Happy birthday to me. :lol:

!!! I wanted to post this emoji 😮 it wasn't an option on the post.

It's not my birthday (mine's in June)... but I randomly got a "Happy Birthday" coupon from a local restaurant,  so that counts, right?

Happy Birthday to me too!

EDIT: Ugh. I should have waited a week to buy Kiss Me Deadly and Safety Last.  If I'd waited one week it would have been cheaper.  Oh well.  Too bad the movies that I want aren't out yet.  I'm sure I'll find something amazing to buy.  I've run out of room in my bookshelves for my movies... I'll have to figure out how to free up some room in the Criterion area. 

• Like 1

I'm excited that the Kino sale is running through the 11th.  I want to get the Ida Lupino set. 

Criterion is having a 30%-off sale from now through April 30.

The prices are still a bit too high, and I have some medical bills to pay off, so I'll probably be waiting until the next B&N sale. Hopefully those will still happen!

On 3/20/2020 at 9:42 AM, LawrenceA said:

Warner Archive is having another 4 for $44 sale.

Warner canceled the sale due to their distribution centers having to close for corona.  I hope they reschedule this when this whole thing is over.

• Sad 1

On 3/18/2020 at 12:17 PM, LawrenceA said:

Criterion is having a 30%-off sale from now through April 30.

The prices are still a bit too high, and I have some medical bills to pay off, so I'll probably be waiting until the next B&N sale. Hopefully those will still happen!

I don't know if you have this in your email, but Criterion sent me a $10 off coupon yesterday.

I'm planning on purchasing Leave Her to Heaven which just came out today.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I don't know if you have this in your email, but Criterion sent me a $10 off coupon yesterday.

I'm planning on purchasing Leave Her to Heaven which just came out today.

Darn it...I was trying not to get anything this month, but with the sale discount and the e-mailed $10 coupon, I couldn't pass up getting one.

• Like 1

I was able to use my $10 coupon at Criterion.  I ordered Leave Her to Heaven, and I was able to pre-order Dance, Girl, Dance at the discounted price, even though it comes out in May.