Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Special Sales of Classic Titles on DVD & Blu-ray

On 3/27/2020 at 10:32 PM, speedracer5 said:

I was able to use my $10 coupon at Criterion.  I ordered Leave Her to Heaven, and I was able to pre-order Dance, Girl, Dance at the discounted price, even though it comes out in May.

Did you receive your copy of Leave Her to Heaven yet? If so, have you watched it, and how does the picture look?

I have the old Fox DVD, and I hope to upgrade it to the Criterion Blu-ray sometime this year, as it's one of the best looking movies of its era.

1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

Did you receive your copy of Leave Her to Heaven yet? If so, have you watched it, and how does the picture look?

I have the old Fox DVD, and I hope to upgrade it to the Criterion Blu-ray sometime this year, as it's one of the best looking movies of its era.

I haven't gotten it yet.  I think it might be because I ordered it with Dance, Girl, Dance and I may have ordered it with the "group all items in the smallest number of shipments" possible option... I think Criterion might be waiting until Dance,Girl,Dance is out in May.

I have the Fox version of the DVD as well.  I'll let you know how it looks when I get it.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Apparently Twilight Time is going out of business.  They have all their releases marked down to $11.95.

I always thought they seemed expensive, which is why I never bought them.  I just purchased two: The Whole Town's Talking and I upgraded my copy of Gidget.  It's in widescreen! My current copy is full screen. 

On 4/12/2020 at 9:51 PM, LawrenceA said:

Good news! My copy of Leave Her to Heaven with the new release of Dance, Girl, Dance has been shipped! I'll let you know about the quality when I get it!

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2020 at 11:15 PM, speedracer5 said:

Just an FYI, the Barnes & Noble Criterion sale starts on July 10. 

Good luck with that. I got up at 7AM and they were out of 3 that I wanted. The Criterion subreddit shows everybody having the same experience. Never have I seen them sold out of things on the first day. 

6 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

Good luck with that. I got up at 7AM and they were out of 3 that I wanted. The Criterion subreddit shows everybody having the same experience. Never have I seen them sold out of things on the first day. 

I’m on the Criterion subreddit as well. I saw the amount of difficulty people had getting what they wanted. Its crazy. I don’t usually make any special effort, because everything is always available. 

The sale runs through 8/2, so hopefully they restock. 

I found all three Criterion items that I wanted at the store: The Killing, Paths of Glory, and Show Boat (1936).

Then, I had to discover that Warner Archives is holding their 4/$44 sale this weekend.

So I ended up picking up: The Bad and the Beautiful (which I really wanted); Marked Woman, Hold Your Man, On Dangerous Ground, His Kind of Woman, and Jimmy the Gent. I had over $200 in my cart when I started and I whittled it down to the 6 I mentioned above.

On 7/12/2020 at 7:46 AM, LsDoorMat said:

Well, somebody is rolling in dough over on the Criterion subreddit. This is their in store haul:

hw2ov17krba51.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

My local store doesn't have a very good selection. 

I saw that photo! I’m also on the Criterion subreddit. That was insane.  No wonder B&N sold out. Here I am with my meager 3 selections, ones that I wanted. I’ve almost got everything I’m interested in. Now it’s a matter of upgrading titles in my collection and awaiting new releases. 

I also loved the person who bought like 50+ Criterion—all blind buys. Geez, go to the library. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

For anybody still trying to pick up Criterions online with B&N's low inventory this year, try this. Go to the Criterion part of B&N https://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/criterion/_/N-1p0i

Navigate down the page to "Best sellers". Underneath that title there will be a link labeled "all". That shows 22 pages of Criterions, the top selling ones. More than likely these have to be in stock and you can shop from there. 

I did one more visit to B&N (I went to a different one than the one I'd visited prior) and I picked up: The Blob, Kid Brother, and On the Waterfront

I put back 12 Angry Men and Make Way for Tomorrow.  So those will probably be picked up in November. 

I also have some unseen Criterion classics coming from the library: Forty Guns w/ Barbara Stanwyck and My Darling Clementine w/ Henry Fonda. I also have hold requests on Bigger Than Life with James Mason and Moonrise with Dane Clark.  

• 1 month later...

There is a Criterion sale going on at Deep Discount. The basic discount is not that impressive 38% - 45%. BUT some long term buyers (that's me) get 10% off of what you check out with, so that adds some to it. Say your cart has an average of 40% off. They then add 6% off to your total for 46% off. That is not bad if you limit yourself to their older titles that you can't find anywhere else for less than full price, which is what I did. Plus I picked up the new Agnes V. set.  So if you get the extra 10% off it might be worth it for some of you. 

• 1 month later...

There's a B2G1 sale at Target online. Their Criterions are knocked down to the price point that if you buy three close together in price you are very close to the 50% off that you would get in the B&N sale IF it happens in November.  I don't know how long the sale goes on, but it seems to involve all movies for sale there. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

There's a B2G1 sale at Target online. Their Criterions are knocked down to the price point that if you buy three close together in price you are very close to the 50% off that you would get in the B&N sale IF it happens in November.  I don't know how long the sale goes on, but it seems to involve all movies for sale there. 

Amazon is having the same sale.  I only purchased one Criterion (The Cameraman); but I was able to purchase 3 Cohen Media titles.  I picked up an Olive Films title in the Target iteration of this sale.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Amazon is having the same sale.  I only purchased one Criterion (The Cameraman); but I was able to purchase 3 Cohen Media titles.  I picked up an Olive Films title in the Target iteration of this sale.

Thanks for the tip, but that's not going to help much. I am specifically looking for a good deal on World Cinema Project V3 - I may have to wait for the B&N  sale - and a way to get volumes 4-6 of the Universal Horror Collections - the ones with the non-franchise Universal horrors like Black Cat and The Raven. These have good extras on them that were not on the DVDs. Amazon only has a small selection in their B2G1 Blu section. Maybe next time. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...