Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Special Sales of Classic Titles on DVD & Blu-ray

Change it to the Midnight Warning, Fear in the Night, Green Eyes, OR Murder At Dawn

these are all good+ mystery titles IMO

Oldies.com has Alpha titles 5 for 25.00

they are the main Alpha DVD distribution company

Trust me on the Roan Group version of DOA..I found it on troma.com and it is 4.95 for DOA

They have the Kennel Murder Case as well in a double feature with Nancy Drew and a lot of old classics

Roan Group prints are very good+ in most cases...

Message was edited by: dsclassic

Thanx, will check it out. Hopefully, its not too late to change my order. Oldies is closed today 1/1/08 so will call the first thing tomorrow morning. It should be easy to change, but then I don't know how they work. I did get the special deal by buying 10 (5 for $5 ea) for their special price and I did save 10% off.

Managed to revise my order with Oldies since the DVD's won't be shipped until January 8. I pulled DOA as well as THE SCAR. I have a feeling that the latter is also not a good quality print. I added THE BIGAMIST. I like this film. I did have a cheapie copy, but the print quality wasn't very good. Hope this one is better. Also, I added HOUSE OF BAMBOO, a FOX noir on sale. This is one of the few FOX noirs that I don't have. Will check on the Roan edition of DOA. This has always been a favorite of mine, but I was reluctant to buy the DVD's since this PD film is usually poor quality. This classic deserves a first class remastered edition.

I just ordered Roan's Behind Office Doors (1931) on my last

Amazon order. The quality is excellent according to Amazon reviewers

so I went with the Roan release not the Alpha Video release on this one.

Looking at their site I found a few more pre-codes of interest:

Dixiana (1930) w/ Bebe Daniels boasting a Technicolor final sequence

Lonely Wives (1931) w/ Edward Everett Horton

Svengali (1931) with John Barrymore and **** Marian Marsh

Message was edited by: Snorky

>Checked Troma for DOA. At present the site says out of stock!

>Will try back later on this month.

Hey Edgecliff, they did have my three titles but once I registered I was presented with this info:

While we are renovating the new Troma Building there will be a delay of up to 6-8 weeks before your order can be shipped. If you have the patience, please place your order now. Otherwise, please check back periodically to see when we will resume our normal shipping schedule.

Just received my box of Alpha DVD's and like I thought it was a mixed bag. Some of the DVD's are pretty inferior quality including SLEEPING TIGER and THE BLACK BOOK. Others like CAUSE FOR ALARM and WOMAN ON THE RUN seem to be missing the credits. Never saw anything like this ever. Incredibly DOA looks in decent shape. I opened most of the discs and previewed them, something I rarely do. At least 6 of the 11 discs I ordered are very poor quality. IMPACT looks the best. Learned my lesson and its doubtful if I ever order any Alpha DVD's unless I know the quality beforehand.

DOA from The Roan Group is better quality than the Alpha One, or any other one for that matter....

I usually order Alpha Titles from Oldies ,but I found a seller on Amazon who sells them for even less and the shipping time was great on top of that

csclassic, just sneaked DOA and it seemed to look OK, so I will see when I watch the entire film. Just before my order was shipped I asked Customer Service to pull DOA and THE SCAR and substitute HOUSE OF BAMBOO and THE BIGAMIST for the unwanted titles. The lady I spoke with said I could, but when the shipment arrived the two titles I asked for as replacements were not in the batch. The order had not been changed. I quickly e-mailed Oldies and complained about what happened and was very upset. They e-mailed me back and apologized and said it had been too late for the order to change (even though the Customer Service lady said it was Ok) and not to send the two unwanted DVD's back and that they would send me (at no charge) the two titles I had wanted to substitute originally. I think that was very nice of them. Most companies would not do anything like this. In any case, as I stated before, I need to find out the quality of the Alpha DVD titles before I order any more!

2 things about Oldies

Media Mail is the best bet for them, as priority mail is way over priced, at least for a single DVD..and they do have tracking for their shipping

Alpha titles will always be hit or miss as far as prints and movies good

Sometimes a print will suck and the movie will be great, but you cant see anything if the print from Alpha is murky

Its also possible for a vice versa with that..a good print for a crappy movie

Suggestion - before buying from Alpha . not only read movie reviews about the movie, check on print quality as well...also see who else is selling the same title

Alpha has many public domain titles that other companies put out with better prints, DOA from the Roan Group is one, the Gamera titles from Retromedia are better, etc, so be sure to check..

There are very few companies whose print are worse than Alpha Video (front row entertainment, and Madacy and Diamond) come to mind..

Roan Group is usually way better, Wade Williams Image is a lot better...

Basically read about them before you order...and make sure Alpha is the only one putting out the DVD....

csclassic, at least one Alpha title seems unwatchable: THE BLACK BOOK. Haven't seen the whole film, but what I have seen looks awful, ditto GUEST IN THE HOUSE. I believe these two are offered elsewhere so I need to check around. But all prints of these two films might be awful, just like the Edward G. Robinson film THE RED HOUSE. There are NO good prints of this one. I was wrong about CAUSE FOR ALARM. The print does contain the title credits, but the overall quality is about average. IMPACT does look excellent. The print for the rare MAN WHO CHEATED HIMSELF, with Jane Wyatt, oddly cast as a femme fatale and Lee J. Cobb varied. However the soundtrack tends to be quite noisy throughout most of the film. What makes things worse is that I have a HIDEF TV 52" TV set and it tends to magnify all imperfections in these DVD's. BTW, I wouldn't touch any prints from Medacy.

RED HOUSE is one of the worse prints I ever saw. Sound and picture are lousy. I really don't think there is a decent print of this film around. Its a shame, since this E.G. Robinson film is a classic thriller. It would be nice if a company like VCI got a hold of this film and cleaned it up a bit with some restoration.

I'm hesitant with oldies.com now. On the 31st, I placed an order for about a dozen titles just before midnight to take advantage of their 10% holiday special. The following morning, January 1, I thought about it and decided to hold off on the order so I cancelled it online and got a confirmation notice that day.

About a week ago, I got a package from them containng the whole order and it was charged to my credit card. I looked at the invoice and it was dated January 3rd, so even with the holiday being the day I cancelled it, they still had 2 days to make sure the order didn't go out. But it did.

I called them and they said I could send it back, but I decided to keep the items. Still, it bothers me that I had an email confirmation of the cancellation but they still sent it and said they didn't have anything on their records showing the cancellation request that I was looking at onscreen while talking to them.