Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jean Simmons --- That Voice, That Voice!

lydecker

There's a lot to like about Jean Simmons but the thing that initially made me notice her was her

incredible voice.  Others may like Lauren Bacall's better, but for me, no one has a more beautiful

voice than Jean Simmons.

Lydecker

• Like 3

Jean Simmons was awesome in "Home Before Dark" - a neglected film about an unloved woman.

If she had stayed in England - and not followed Stewart Granger to Hollywood - I do think that she would have had a more prestigious career.

I do like all of her English films, especially "So Long At The Fair" and "The Clouded Yellow".

She ended up on American television - and her mere presence was a big, big plus.

• Like 2

There's a lot to like about Jean Simmons but the thing that initially made me notice her was her

incredible voice.  Others may like Lauren Bacall's better, but for me, no one has a more beautiful

voice than Jean Simmons.

Lydecker

Yes,  Jean Simmons has a wonderful voice as well as many other fine assets.   

I have always loved the voices of DeHavilland and Fontaine;   They have a 'light' British sound based on their schooling and this type of voice sings to me.

• Like 3

Yeah, well, Simmons' voice was never as mellifluous as, say, Shelley Winters' was, but it was okay, I guess.

(...sorry lydecker, just couldn't resist...and yes, Jean's speaking voice was especially lovely...I agree)

• Like 1

Btw, lydecker. Perhaps you'd agree that Judi Dench has a very similar quality to Miss Simmons' voice.

(...at least I've always thought so...and not just because of their similar or shared accent)

Hmm.  That never occurred to me but it does make me curious to listen to their voices together.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings