Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is Robert OK? we LOVE him and want the truth!!! Please!!!

JudahBenHur

TopBilled......Thank you for your comment here supporting my position.  Of course I respect his privacy, that goes without saying, however if he is ill could we at least be allowed to send him well wishes and flowers and candy and show him our affection, love and respect for him.  HE TRULY IS a big reason I became a fan of TCM!  He makes watching an "old movie" an event!  His knowledge and class is second to none.  It hurts to think of him possibly being ill or laid up and I put him in my nightly prayers that he will remain healthy.  

The bottom line is Robert Osborne is a GREAT man and we love him as I have loved Charlton Heston, John Wayne, Clark Gable, etc.  Yes I put him in that list!  He is a special blessed person!  Thanks again TopBilled.

• Like 2

TopBilled......Thank you for your comment here supporting my position.  Of course I respect his privacy, that goes without saying, however if he is ill could we at least be allowed to send him well wishes and flowers and candy and show him our affection, love and respect for him.  HE TRULY IS a big reason I became a fan of TCM!  He makes watching an "old movie" an event!  His knowledge and class is second to none.  It hurts to think of him possibly being ill or laid up and I put him in my nightly prayers that he will remain healthy.  

The bottom line is Robert Osborne is a GREAT man and we love him as I have loved Charlton Heston, John Wayne, Clark Gable, etc.  Yes I put him in that list!  He is a special blessed person!  Thanks again TopBilled.

JBH,

I'm sure Robert Osborne appreciates the concern. There has been discussion he will be attending the last TCM cruise later this fall and plans to return to some on-air hosting. Not sure if anything's been confirmed yet. He's a big part of viewers' lives and is like a member of the family.

• Like 1

Thank you TopBilled.  Are you with the TCM?  We LOVE TCM and just joined the TCM Backlot and got my welcome kit in the mail this week!  Our dream is to attend the Festival someday and meet Robert and Ben in person.  You're right, they are a HUGE part of our lives!!! I have turned many many people on to the joys of TCM!!!  Thanks again for your replies and we will wait for his return.  btw we were sad to hear that this is the last Cruise as we would have liked to have done that someday as well.  Thanks again.

Thank you TopBilled.  Are you with the TCM?  We LOVE TCM and just joined the TCM Backlot and got my welcome kit in the mail this week!  Our dream is to attend the Festival someday and meet Robert and Ben in person.  You're right, they are a HUGE part of our lives!!! I have turned many many people on to the joys of TCM!!!  Thanks again for your replies and we will wait for his return.  btw we were sad to hear that this is the last Cruise as we would have liked to have done that someday as well.  Thanks again.

Glad you had the chance to join the Backlot. Now you get to vote on things like Stars of the Month and Summer Under the Stars honorees. 

It's nice to see how TCM affects the lives of its viewers. More especially, how classic film affects viewers.

• Like 1

I'm sure Robert Osborne appreciates the concern. There has been discussion he will be attending the last TCM cruise later this fall and plans to return to some on-air hosting. Not sure if anything's been confirmed yet. He's a big part of viewers' lives and is like a member of the family.

The official word from organizers of the TCM Cruise is that "hosts have not yet been formally announced, but Robert Osborne fully intends to attend the cruise." Regarding his on-air hosting duties, I'm told by friend who is a segment producer at TCM that both Osborne and TCM fully expect he will to return to the airwaves at some point, but there are no plans for him to be in studio for them in the immediate future.

• Like 3

The official word from organizers of the TCM Cruise is that "hosts have not yet been formally announced, but Robert Osborne fully intends to attend the cruise." Regarding his on-air hosting duties, I'm told by friend who is a segment producer at TCM that both Osborne and TCM fully expect he will to return to the airwaves at some point, but there are no plans for him to be in studio for them in the immediate future.

So it sounds like they are leaving it open-ended for him to return. Thanks Barton for helping provide some of the information the OP was seeking.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Robert has taken time off before during the late summer and early fall.  This could be just a time he takes to R and R.  Of course we are concerned for him, but I'm not going to worry because I would suspect he's off in one of his favorite haunts having the time of his life.  I

hope so.

• 1 month later...

I think everyone hopes that Robert Osborne has many more years of being the face of TCM.  Ben Mankiewicz has proved to be a capable, personable #2 at the channel.  After that...

If Tiffany Vazquez is being groomed to take on more responsibility, I fear for the future of the channel.  Mispronouncing Rod Steiger's last name as "Steeger", as she did a few weekends ago during the intro to Back From Eternity is bad enough.  When you consider that the intros are taped in advance, and no one felt the need to fix the mistake, it leads to one of two conclusions.  Ms. Vazquez was being tossed under the bus, or the crew involved in the taping didn't know she butchered Mr. Steiger's last name.

None of this bodes well for TCM!

• Like 1

I think everyone hopes that Robert Osborne has many more years of being the face of TCM.  Ben Mankiewicz has proved to be a capable, personable #2 at the channel.  After that...

If Tiffany Vazquez is being groomed to take on more responsibility, I fear for the future of the channel.  Mispronouncing Rod Steiger's last name as "Steeger", as she did a few weekends ago during the intro to Back From Eternity is bad enough.  When you consider that the intros are taped in advance, and no one felt the need to fix the mistake, it leads to one of two conclusions.  Ms. Vazquez was being tossed under the bus, or the crew involved in the taping didn't know she butchered Mr. Steiger's last name.

None of this bodes well for TCM!

She mispronounced Steiger's name? My worst fears about her have been realized. This is the worst on-air gaffe I have heard of from ANYONE on TCM.

They've made mistakes about facts regarding stars and films, but never made a mistake which indicated that they had never heard of a well-known star.

You can still know who a star is and mispronounce their name. People mispronounce Madame Ouspenskaya's name all the time. It's Məˈdäm (not Mad-um) Ooh-spin-sky-uh (not Ow-spen-skay-uh).

• Like 1

You can still know who a star is and mispronounce their name. People mispronounce Madame Ouspenskaya's name all the time. It's Məˈdäm (not Mad-um) Ooh-spin-sky-uh (not Ow-spen-skay-uh).

Her name is a mouthful. Steiger's is not. If you mispronounce his name, there's a great chance that you never heard of him.

Her name is a mouthful. Steiger's is not. If you mispronounce his name, there's a great chance that you never heard of him.

Or that you've been around other people who also mispronounce his name.

I can remember when I had never heard of Rod Steiger. He's a different generation and I had to explore his work in films gradually, like I've done with many other actors.

I think the suggestion that because she has mispronounced a name on air, then automatically she's unfit to host movies on TCM, is a bit extreme (and unfair).

Or that you've been around other people who also mispronounce his name.

I can remember when I had never heard of Rod Steiger. He's a different generation and I had to explore his work in films gradually, like I've done with many other actors.

I think the suggestion that because she has mispronounced a name on air, then automatically she's unfit to host movies on TCM, is a bit extreme (and unfair).

..so, when you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings