Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How many stars have appeared on Summer Under the Stars?

tcook

As the 2016 season of Summer Under the Stars comes to a close, I confess that I was less than impressed with the “star” lineup, especially the first half of the month.  While I stewed over the lack of what I considered star quality in the lineup (one must understand that TCM is my staple diet when it comes to television viewing), I wondered how the lineup is formulated from year to year, and why I hadn’t seen some of my favorites.  So I embarked upon some research. Thanks to the internet and Google and some time on my hands, I compiled a list of all the featured stars since the beginning of the August feature and discovered some interesting statistics.  The star who has been featured the most times (8) is Katharine Hepburn.  No surprise there; she would have been on my list that many times, I’m sure.  Appearing seven times were James Stewart and Cary Grant.  Again, no surprise.  Humphrey Bogart, Bette Davis, and John Wayne each with six.  Spencer Tracy, Gregory Peck, Henry Fonda, Kirk Douglas, Ingrid Bergman, Joan Crawford, and my first surprise, Doris Day, all with five appearances.  My next surprise was Elvis Presley with four appearances (along with 8 other actors).  Twenty-four stars have been featured three times, thirty-nine twice.  But the most shocking and disappointing finding was that Laurence Olivier only received the honor once, in 2004.

I have the whole list, 247 names in all, 162 of which have only appeared once.  I’d like to think that TCM would be pleased to hear from its audience about what stars we would like to see featured next summer. 

• Like 1

Under the forum TCM Programs all of the Stars of the Month and Summer Under the Stars are listed through 2015. Of course, TCM has honored people that they have the easiest access to the films, but in recent years have included a few foreign language stars as well as stars from studios such as Fox & Paramount that they have to negotiate separate licensing agreements. Sure, you're free to send in suggestions to the programming department and hope that they listen to your suggestions.

Sorry you were disappointed this year. Not every day is to my liking either but in general I feel like they do a pretty good job with what they have to work with.

• Like 3

Under the forum TCM Programs all of the Stars of the Month and Summer Under the Stars are listed through 2015. Of course, TCM has honored people that they have the easiest access to the films, but in recent years have included a few foreign language stars as well as stars from studios such as Fox & Paramount that they have to negotiate separate licensing agreements. Sure, you're free to send in suggestions to the programming department and hope that they listen to your suggestions.

Sorry you were disappointed this year. Not every day is to my liking either but in general I feel like they do a pretty good job with what they have to work with.

Well, I realize we all don't have the same favorites.  I don't know the inside scoop about what TCM is allowed to show and what they aren't allowed.  I have noticed that Susan Hayward is rarely on TCM, so I assume she was with the wrong studio?  I wish they could show all studios equally.

• Like 1

Well, I realize we all don't have the same favorites.  I don't know the inside scoop about what TCM is allowed to show and what they aren't allowed.  I have noticed that Susan Hayward is rarely on TCM, so I assume she was with the wrong studio?  I wish they could show all studios equally.

In the last year or so, Susan Hayward was selected.as Star of the Month, which was quite a feat, considering many of her films were done under contract to Paramount, and later, 20th Century Fox. Both of these studio's films must be negotiated.for TCM to air them.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings