Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"The Three stooges" have a 33rd anniversary...

spence

"The Three Stooges' official fan club & "Knuckleheads.com" 

The former is also based on a huge "Facebook" page & all related to "The Boys'" celebrated the 33rd anniversary of getting their "Star' on "The Hollywood Walk-of-Fame"

Given on August 30th, 1983. Unfortunately, by the time "The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce" even got around to honoring them, only the obnoxious: Joe Besser-(l907-1988) was present of the actual "Stooges"  Sadly Curly Joe De Rita-(l909-93) was blind by then, suffering from diabetes! & didn't attend 

I snapped a few shots of it on my 2nd trip to what's left of Hollywood in November of 1999. Located at Vine & H. Blvd I believe.

I know TCM-(for some reason) doesn't air any of those hilarious shorts they made from (l934 to 1959)

at "Columbia Pictures"-(now 'Sunset & Gower")

& the child friendly, yet dull features they made in the 1960's-(w/Curly Joe) are aired frequently, but as I said, they are boring & most agree.

But, for fellow fans there is a big & fairly new, yet $expensive4 book-(hardcover) "The Three stooges: Hollywood Locations"

:D  :D  :D

THANK YOU

I stopped being a Stooges fan by the time I was 12.  But I will admit that I really dug 'em when I was a little kid.  And although even now, I avoid watching any of their old shorts, I CANNOT deny their success and popularity.  Plus, theirs is a fascinating story.  Plus, despite my antipathy towards them, that it took so long for them to GET that star still seems unfair to me.

Sepiatone

Decades Channel is showing an amazing 9 part biography this week. I've been trying to find out when it was made, but haven't had any luck. I didn't even see a copyright at the end of the credits. But it's a phenomenal bio complete with home movies that I have never seen before.

I stopped being a Stooges fan by the time I was 12.  But I will admit that I really dug 'em when I was a little kid.  And although even now, I avoid watching any of their old shorts, I CANNOT deny their success and popularity.  Plus, theirs is a fascinating story.  Plus, despite my antipathy towards them, that it took so long for them to GET that star still seems unfair to me.

Sepiatone

..even though Iggy Pop is from Michigan?

Decades Channel is showing an amazing 9 part biography this week. I've been trying to find out when it was made, but haven't had any luck. I didn't even see a copyright at the end of the credits. But it's a phenomenal bio complete with home movies that I have never seen before.

It was made last year and is in 9 parts on 3 dvd's.  You can get it through Amazon.

When I was growing up in the 70's, no one wanted to admit being a Stooges fan, because you usually saw them as Shemp shorts (and usually the same cheap PD version of "Malice in the Palace") at some kiddy matinee or backwater local station.

I've since softened on the Shemp shorts (Shemp had more punny wordplay, while Moe had to fill in with Curly's missing physical business), but the stories were a little more slapstick and dopey than they were in the Curly era, and that was what created everyone's wide negative impression of them at the time.

Liking the Stooges wasn't considered pop-trendy again until we got the "Curly Shuffle" song the same year as the Walk of Fame star, and then they were just in time to cash in on the early 80's "Rerun renaissance"'s new fascination with old TV from the 50's.

And THEN some of us could appreciate the genius timing and choreography of the Curly Era.   ^_^

nipkowdisk

my favorite stooges short has always been "a plumbing we will go".

Not too many know that although Chaplin was the first comic to go after Hitler in "The Great Dictator", Moe Howard was the first stateside comic to go after him in "You Nazty Spy".  

Still one of the heights of Yankee Lowbrow Lampoons for the war effort, and showed what we smartaleck Americans could do that the Axis couldn't.

Unfortunately, by the time "The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce" even got around to honoring them, only the obnoxious: Joe Besser-(l907-1988) was present of the actual "Stooges"  

I'm a Joe Besser fan. I think he's great. The chamber and the people who attended that day were probably delighted he was there.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-08-31%2Bat%2B12.10.

Philly unleashed on the world two famous threesomes, the Three Stooges and Manny, Moe and Jack, the founders of the Pep Boys automotive chain.

Can't believe you're forgetting ANOTHER one here, DGF...Julius Erving, Moses Malone and Maurice Cheeks.

(...and who combined with a few other 76ers in 1983 would sweep my beloved Lakers in four games to win the NBA title that year)

;)

Can't believe you're forgetting ANOTHER one here, DGF...Julius Erving, Moses Malone and Maurice Cheeks.

(...and who combined with a few other 76ers in 1983 would sweep my beloved Lakers in four games to win the NBA title that year)

;)

Maurice Cheeks reminds me of George Brent.

Maurice Cheeks reminds me of George Brent.

Now are you SURE you're thinkin' of "Maurice Cheeks" here, dude???

I mean, other that his last name(yeah, I got it), I would think a particular body part of that "wide-body" Moses Malone would be more reminiscent of Brent!

Now are you SURE you're thinkin' of "Maurice Cheeks" here, dude???

I mean, other that his last name(yeah, I got it), I would think a particular body part of that "wide-body" Moses Malone would be more reminiscent of Brent!

Put together an alltime all- NBA rear end team, and get back to me. I'll contribute Charles Barkley.

Put together an alltime all- NBA rear end team, and get back to me. I'll contribute Charles Barkley.

Now, no such a list would be complete of course without...

KobeShaq.jpg

(...but I'm now beginning to think that WE "two stooges" HERE have sidetracked poor spence's thread beyond control...and so maybe we ought'a cool it here) ;)

• Like 1

What time is it on????

Google "Decades TV Schedule";

The show you're asking about is on right now (6:00) and repeats at 10:00 EDT.

They repeat everything four times daily. I got to watch the three parts today before work and will watch some tonight again after work.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings