Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LornaHansonForbes

Welcome Home, Count Dracula.

Sat up in bed last night at the TCM PROMO W/ Bela Lugosi Jr. Figured they were gonna say WHITE ZOMBIE or RETURN OF THE VAMPIRE at the end.

But no...

That's right: it's happening, THIS SUNDAY AT 12:30!!!

12:30 PM
B/W - 74 m

TV-14

horror

Dracula (1931)

Synopsis: The legendary bloodsucker stakes his claim on a British estate in search of new blood.
DirTod Browning CastBela Lugosi , Helen Chandler , David Manners .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:    

D: Tod Browning. Bela Lugosi, David Manners, Helen Chandler, Dwight Frye, Edward Van Sloan, Herbert Bunston, Frances Dade. Classic horror film of Transylvanian vampire working his evil spell on perplexed group of Londoners. Lugosi's most famous role with his definitive interpretation of the Count, ditto Frye as looney Renfield and Van Sloan as unflappable Professor Van Helsing. Reissued on video with a new score by Philip Glass. Sequel: DRACULA'S DAUGHTER.

• Like 7

Oh, I know! I saw that in the line up and nearly cried. I have to work! ARGH! It's coming on again soon on a Saturday, so...

• Like 1

Oh, I know! I saw that in the line up and nearly cried. I have to work! ARGH! It's coming on again soon on a Saturday, so...

I imagine- as was the case with all the FRANKENSTEINS and THE MUMMY, that TCM will air the most recent restoration Universal did- which is PRISTINE, they cleaned the image up and the "HISSSSSSSSS" is GONE from the soundtrack, which makes a huge difference.

seeing it in its best quality made me re-evaluate it when i bought the DVD of the restored version last year.

big deal.

tcm oughta show the 2012 BFI restoration of hammer studio's dracula from 1958 when christopher lee is SOTM.

• Like 1

i honestly tried just now to change the title of this thread to:

BELA LUGOSI ONCE ATE A BABY!

....following the successes and longevities and interests shown in threads with PROVOCATIVE titles.

couldn't do it.

anyone know how?

(i'm disappointed in the lack of enthusiasm shown for Drac being Back.)

If this isn't a TCM premiere it's only the second time TCM has shown Dracula (at least in the 20 years I've had TCM). They've shown most of the other 1930's Universal horror flicks but I don't remember Dracula and I know they've never shown "Werewolf Of London" . I'm not sure if they've ever shown "The Raven" with Karloff and Lugosi.

• Like 2

If this isn't a TCM premiere it's only the second time TCM has shown Dracula (at least in the 20 years I've had TCM). They've shown most of the other 1930's Universal horror flicks but I don't remember Dracula and I know they've never shown "Werewolf Of London" . I'm not sure if they've ever shown "The Raven" with Karloff and Lugosi.

WEREWOLF OF LONDON is a through-and-through delight; for a long time a while back it was online and i used to watch it a lot.

THE RAVEN may be in the Public Domain...I want to say i saw it online recently, although i didn't pay much attention sine i have it on DVD.

• Like 2

I am super happy to finally see this on the schedule as well.  For those not able to see it this time around it will be repeated on Friday October 28th at 8pm.  This is my favorite of the Universal Horror films.    The first 15 minutes or so ( before Dracula sets off for London ) cemented Lugosi's horror icon status.  You can not take your eyes off of him the entire film.  What a mesmerizing screen presence he had.    

The first Universal Horror film I ever saw was Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein ( airing September 14th and October 30th ) and Lugosi is the stand out in that film as well.  Lugosi is without a doubt one of the most intriguing actors to ever appear on screen.   

• Like 3

The first Universal Horror film I ever saw was Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein ( airing September 14th and October 30th ) and Lugosi is the stand out in that film as well.  Lugosi is without a doubt one of the most intriguing actors to ever appear on screen.   

A&C is one of the "truer" Universal horror films, since it's actually the only other time Lugosi played Dracula (for spoiler reasons, the post-code "Mark of the Vampire" didn't count), and certainly the only time he shared the movie with Chaney's Wolf Man.

Also, the Monsters are treated as their own serious iconic selves, rather than descend into camp just for the sake of comedy, as the Munsters series did.

MovieMadness

TCM says we have to be 14 years old to watch this, I hope I qualify.

It's Weird Creepy Pre-Code Todd Browning (and so was "Freaks"), so, yeah.  Being over 14 wouldn't hurt.

It's one of the good things about being a Universal movie that they don't have one of their own networks to show it on anymore--

I remember when ThisTV ran the UM's over a Halloween fest, and they're still classy.

Ill definitely be saving it for that Oct 28 viewing. Id like to watch it live at 8:00 PM plus it's closer to Halloween.

But A&C meets Frankenstein is part of Slapstick Fall so that one I will watch this month.

OMG. Don't get me

Ill definitely be saving it for that Oct 28 viewing. Id like to watch it live at 8:00 PM plus it's closer to Halloween.

But A&C meets Frankenstein is part of Slapstick Fall so that one I will watch this month.

OMG. Don't get me started on A & C Meet F.

Spoiler Alert Thingie:

The dialogue alone is to die for. Talbot calls the shipping company from London. Wilbur thinks it;s MacDougle calling about merchandise. MacDougle walks into the shipping office. Wilbur asks him, "What'd they do, shoot you out of a cannon?"

Now I've read that Glenn Strange as the monster pulls back in horror at seeing Wilbur. And that Lugosi., with his cape across his face, was swearing at the actors for messing with the scene. What is dubbed in is Lugosi saying, "Don't worry. He won't hurt you." I actually pulled this on a manager at work. He came around the corner and I went. "Ahh!" The manager said he was sorry he incited a scream from me. Heh. heh. Sucker.

Then we get to Lawrence Talbot. He asks Wilbur to lock him in his room. Wilbur is accommodating and swipes an orange out of the fruit basket. He wonders if Talbot counted the fruit. What??? The man is a werewolf. Is he actually going to notice that the hotel put a fruit basket in his room?

Nice bit with the animated bat turning into our favorite vampire. .

Too bad they didn't take the time to keep Dracula away from mirrors. I hate when they do that. A vampire casts no reflection, as so the legend goes.

I saw what i saw when I saw it!

But the best line of all...

Tonight the moon will rise.. and I'll turn into a wolf.

You and twenty million other guys...

• Like 3

thanks to everyone for the replies.

for those of you who do not own the restored DRACULA on DVD and did not go see it in theaters last October- the clean up of the audio and picture make a BIG difference the impression the film makes, especially in the silent scenes which are now, as they were then, totally silent (none of the omipresent hissssing and popping that used to be there.)

it's also amazing how many details you notice about the sets as well, especially the castle.

they did a really great job returning it to as close to the condition as it was when it was released in 1931.

• Like 1

OMG. Don't get me started on A & C Meet F.

In the commentary, they mention the reactions of the preview audience, and the classic Monsters were still scary in the 40's.

Some audiences said "You should have warned us that A&C would be in such a scary story!"

And yeah, I could see some 10-yo. absolutely hiding under his chair when Bela Lugosi is now out of his coffin and slowly advancing toward Lou:  "Chick!!  Oh, Chick!  Chiiiiiick!!!"

• Like 1

Dracula I last saw sometime recently but A&C meet Frankenstein I last saw as a child. I actually remember being scared then. Looking forward to seeing it again.

Since seeing this old "warhorse" of a horror movie SO many times over the years on TV since a wee lad, I can only view the movie AS "camp"  despite it NOT being it's original intent.

But watching it in the context of how the 1931 audience might have taken it in, I do notice how comparatively well done the film was.  As a kid in the late '50's,  and realizing movies were fake,  I didn't see what was supposed to be so SCARY about it, but taking into consideration the 1931 sensibilities, I can understand how people back then could find it unsettling. 

I'll probably give it a look.  It'd be like visiting with an old friend.  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 2

Since seeing this old "warhorse" of a horror movie SO many times over the years on TV since a wee lad, I can only view the movie AS "camp"  despite it NOT being it's original intent.

But watching it in the context of how the 1931 audience might have taken it in, I do notice how comparatively well done the film was.  As a kid in the late '50's,  and realizing movies were fake,  I didn't see what was supposed to be so SCARY about it, but taking into consideration the 1931 sensibilities, I can understand how people back then could find it unsettling. 

I'll probably give it a look.  It'd be like visiting with an old friend.  ;)

Sepiatone

You have to remember this film was made 85 years ago. Times were different and so were people.

I'm sure what you view as "camp" after viewing several times thru your life others found scary back in those days.

I remember when these old 1930's Universal horror movies were shown on late night TV. I was just a kid.

I wanted to watch them but was too afraid to watch them alone. I had to have my Dad sitting with me.

Many times he would tease me by saying he's going upstairs to bed but I'd beg him to stay with me.

All the lights in the house would be out; the only light would be coming from the TV screen.

• Like 1

You have to remember this film was made 85 years ago. Times were different and so were people.

I'm sure what you view as "camp" after viewing several times thru your life others found scary back in those days.

I remember when these old 1930's Universal horror movies were shown on late night TV. I was just a kid.

I wanted to watch them but was too afraid to watch them alone. I had to have my Dad sitting with me.

Many times he would tease me by saying he's going upstairs to bed but I'd beg him to stay with me.

All the lights in the house would be out; the only light would be coming from the TV screen.

I do wonder how audiences viewed BOF when it was released.    Did a majority really find it scary?   I wouldn't assume 'yes' especially when one compares the film to the Frankenstein film made 4 year before.    That film is a fairly straight tale with the only 'out there' part being the creation of human life from dead humans.    But even this is handle in a scientific way.    The violation of god's will is the foundation of what makes the film scary (as an atheist even I get that POV).    While I find all horror films to be 'camp' to some degree,  I don't view Frankenstein as such.

What pushes BOF into camp territory for me is the homunculus creatures (they are cute and funny but not scary),  and the entire concept of creating a bride for the monster  (why not just get him a date with a human girl!).    I find these whimsical concepts more humorous than scary.   (as well as the entire portrayal of doctor Pretorius).

Anyhow I don't view 'camp' as bad.  Not at all.    BOF has a lot to offer (e.g. the hermit scene is very touching and well done).  A film well worth seeing.       

I do wonder how audiences viewed BOF when it was released.    Did a majority really find it scary?   I wouldn't assume 'yes' especially when one compares the film to the Frankenstein film made 4 year before.   

I can only speak from my experience, but i distinctly recall the first time I saw BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN .

It was  when I was about nine or ten years old, some time ca. 1988. I was a hardcore CLASSIC HORROR junkie as a kid and was lucky enough to grow up right at the time VHS and rentals took off.

Having seen and not liked FRANKENSTEIN (I was TEAM BELA as a kid and still kindasorta am), i was not expecting BRIDE to be so much richer and more complex a movie, so complicated with more action and story and characters- and so violent! I still, all this time later, recall going to dinner with my babysitter after seeing the film (I even remember that my parents were out of town) and counting on my hands how many people die in the movie: (15? 16?) I recall being SHOCKED at the opening, when the father from the original is killed, then his wife, and I recall having a brief moment of genuine fear in the scene where we first see the monster in the underground cistern before he kills the father (and i recall feeling a little guilty for being scared by a black and white movie.) I also remember being STUNNED by the brief scene where the hunchback goes out to get "a very fresh" heart...that moment is all of 10 seconds and i still remember seeing it the first time.

as i get older, i forget many things, and sadly many of the instances under which i first saw or read something, but i think i will hang on to my recollection of the first time i saw BRIDE for a while.

**when did AMC come along? Because I know soon after I taped it off AMC during one of their Saturday Morning Classic Horror showing and proceeded to watch the hell out of it...

• Like 2

I've closed all the blinds. I've turned off all the lights.

I'm ready...

• Like 2

I must be one of the few Universal Horror fans that does not love BOF .   I can see that it is a good film and well cast but overall it leaves me empty.  It is the Universal horror film I watch the least.    As far as Karloff's Universal films I love The Mummy.    Yes it is basically a remake of Dracula and it moves at a snails pace in places but I still find it much more enjoyable than BOF.    

• Like 1

I must be one of the few Universal Horror fans that does not love BOF .   I can see that it is a good film and well cast but overall it leaves me empty.  It is the Universal horror film I watch the least.    As far as Karloff's Universal films I love The Mummy.    Yes it is basically a remake of Dracula and it moves at a snails pace in places but I still find it much more enjoyable than BOF.    

My disappointment with THE MUMMY is that we only have Karloff in the full Make-up in one scene, early on. I also hate that they cut Zita Johann's "reincarnations" segment.

but it's alright, and it certainly has some great moments.

EDIT: the restored print I last saw on TCM was pristine, and like DRACULA, it helps to watch it in the same condition as it was when it was first released.

• Like 2

I think my favorite favorite favorite Classic Horror movie of ALL TIME is WHITE ZOMBIE, (although I know it has some issues.) #2 would be BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN...

• Like 1