Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LornaHansonForbes

Welcome Home, Count Dracula.

EDIT: SOMETHING VERY WEIRD HAPPENED TO THE END OF THIS POST AND EVERYTHING I WROTE WAS DELETED

(SIGH)

So, real life horror eclipses anything the movies have to offer us this morning, forgive me, but alls I know to do is to go on with my prattling about films.....

Watched DRACULA for the 105th time last night. Such a confounding, disappointing and utterly fascinating film....every time I see it, I am a little more impressed by HELEN CHANDLER, who without even saying lines in some scenes, totally gets the point across with THOSE EYES and THAT FACE...

more though about DRACULA'S DAUGHTER, which was maybe the first time Universal royally screwed up a franchise (something they do better than any other studio now or then, cases in point: JAWS and BACK TO THE FUTURE...)

reading about the film's inception gives one a real insight on how legalities and "the bottom line" ruined a perfectly lovely potential movie.

from wikipedia, the original story for the film was:

Selznick hired John L. Balderston, who had previously worked on the 1931 Dracula and Frankenstein, to write the screenplay. Balderston's screenplay involved tying up loose ends from the original film. In it, Von Helsing returns to Transylvania to destroy the three vampire brides seen in Dracula but overlooks a fourth tomb concealing Dracula's daughter. She follows him back to London and operates under the name "Countess Szekelsky". She attacks a young aristocrat and Von Helsing and the aristocrat's fiancée track her back to Transylvania and destroy her. The script included scenes that implied that Dracula's daughter enjoyed torturing her male victims and that while under her control the men liked it too. Also included were shots of the Countess's chambers being stocked with whips and straps, which she would never use on-screen but whose uses the audience could imagine. Regardless of any objections that the Production Code Administration (PCA) would have raised to many aspects of the scenario, Balderston's script could never have been filmed because Selznick's contract with Stoker expressly barred him from using any Bram Stoker characters that did not appear in "Dracula's Guest". Selznick re-sold the rights to "Dracula's Guest" to Universal in September 1935[3] Horror film scholar David J. Skal theorizes that this was Selznick's actual motivation in buying the rights in the first place, to profit from Universal's desire for a sequel by tying up the only obvious source material.

(END QUOTE)

that movie would have rocked!

(post to be continued)

I think Dracula's Daughter -- the first horror film I ever saw, on the old Shock Theater, Channel 7, NYC -- is one of the great horror films.  

tumblr_ooy2quEE1o1v85sfao1_500.gif

• Like 1

(continued from below.)

re: DRACULA'S DAUGHTER

since my original review was eaten up, i'm just gonna stream of consciousness this:

Gloria Holden is solid in this, she was a good actress and I highly recommend checking her out in BEHIND THE RISING SUN in which she really gives an outstanding performance.

EVERYONE ELSE IS TERRIBLE THOUGH!

Someone clearly saw THE THIN MAN before they were hired to add their contributions to the draft, never ever ever have i thought while watching a classic horror movie: "wow, you know what this thing needs? Insufferable romantic banter between two wholly unlikeable leads."

Gee. Van Helsing's accent seems to have become A LOT LESS PRONOUNCED in the minute it took to stake Dracula.

The anachronisms at the start of this are unforgiveable- I guess Universal didn't want to recreate the CARFAX ABBEY staircase, so they just use the entrance to the lab from BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN. I SEE YOU UNIVERSAL, AND I DON'T APPRECIATE IT!

ALSO, WHERE the Hell is everyone else from the original film who could testify on Van helsing's behalf when he is accused of murder? (an interesting plot thread never followed through on)

I think Dracula's Daughter -- the first horror film I ever saw, on the old Shock Theater, Channel 7, NYC -- is one of the great horror films.  

tumblr_ooy2quEE1o1v85sfao1_500.gif

THAT'S A PRETTY AWESOME GIF.

i also know that while I am not a fan, DRACULA'S DAUGHTER is a favorite of a lot of people, I remember not too long ago, a fan got to be a guest programmer and picked it as their one movie to get to show.

(continued from below.)

re: DRACULA'S DAUGHTER

since my original review was eaten up, i'm just gonna stream of consciousness this:

Gloria Holden is solid in this, she was a good actress and I highly recommend checking her out in BEHIND THE RISING SUN in which she really gives an outstanding performance.

EVERYONE ELSE IS TERRIBLE THOUGH!

Someone clearly saw THE THIN MAN before they were hired to add their contributions to the draft, never ever ever have i thought while watching a classic horror movie: "wow, you know what this thing needs? Insufferable romantic banter between two wholly unlikeable leads."

Gee. Van Helsing's accent seems to have become A LOT LESS PRONOUNCED in the minute it took to stake Dracula.

The anachronisms at the start of this are unforgiveable- I guess Universal didn't want to recreate the CARFAX ABBEY staircase, so they just use the entrance to the lab from BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN. I SEE YOU UNIVERSAL, AND I DON'T APPRECIATE IT!

ALSO, WHERE the Hell is everyone else from the original film who could testify on Van helsing's behalf when he is accused of murder? (an interesting plot thread never followed through on)

Every time this flick comes on I'm either at work or sleeping. I managed to sneak out of work a few minutes early and caught the last 40 minutes of this film. I thought some of the sets were actually kind of cool. When Otto is on the phone with his friend who thinks Otto has forsaken his party for another, the staircase there looks like the one from Werewolf of London.

I was able to see Psycho and Dracula in theaters a couple Octobers ago thanks to TCM. The audience kind of ruined both films, but it's still incredible to see them how they were made to be enjoyed on the big screen. This year I would like to watch all or most of the Dracula sequels plus a few of the Hammer Dracula sequels of which a few are ones I've never seen before. Dracula is going to be well-stocked on my television screen this Halloween season.

• Like 1

I was able to see Psycho and Dracula in theaters a couple Octobers ago thanks to TCM. The audience kind of ruined both films, .

OMG!

The exact same thing happened to me at the fathom events screening of DRACULA that I went to. FoUR obnoxious teenage girls sat a few rows behind me and talked at restaurant level volume for the first 15 minutes of the film until I went and got an usher and complained.

The forces of the undead have nothing on teenage girls when it comes to pure undistilled evil.

• Like 1

Oh and ps

Welcome athomed.

Two hammer Dracula sequels that I would recommend above all others would be BRIDES OF DRACULA which actually does not feature Christopher Lee or Dracula himself, but is probably the best film hammer ever made and SCARS OF DRACULA, which is the only hammer Dracula film in which the character actually has a significant presence.. However, I will warn you, it is a horrifically Violent film even though it is about 50 years old

Every time DRACULAS DAUGHTER comes on I'm either at work or sleeping. I managed to sneak out of work a few minutes early and caught the last 40 minutes of this film. I thought some of the sets were actually kind of cool..

They do a fair enough job with the Transylvanian Castle set...it just bugs me every time, as it bugGED me the first time I saw the movie when I was a little kid, that they so obviously reuse the cramped German expressionist staircase from FRANKENSTEIN and BRIDE when it's the opposite in every detail of the original Carfax Abbey set

OMG!

The exact same thing happened to me at the fathom events screening of DRACULA that I went to. FoUR obnoxious teenage girls sat a few rows behind me and talked at restaurant level volume for the first 15 minutes of the film until I went and got an usher and complained.

The forces of the undead have nothing on teenage girls when it comes to pure undistilled evil.

During Dracula at my theater, a few of Lugosi's lines got unintended laughs. It wasn't that bad but it made me have to reevaluate some lines in the film, wondering, oh no, is this going to get a laugh? The worst was when a character falling down the stairs got a laugh, I suspect because the fall looked a little too controlled by modern standards.

During the screening of Psycho, I had a loud-breather sitting right behind me. The girl I assume was his teenage daughter was the real problem. Toward the climax of the film she whispered a question which made it clear she hadn't been following the film very closely. Then, worst of all these experiences, she laughed, yes, she laughed, right at the big twist reveal! I wanted to scream: "You Luddite! Spartan! Philistine! Leave the theater if you can't respect art!"

Oh and ps

Welcome athomed.

Two hammer Dracula sequels that I would recommend above all others would be BRIDES OF DRACULA which actually does not feature Christopher Lee or Dracula himself, but is probably the best film hammer ever made and SCARS OF DRACULA, which is the only hammer Dracula film in which the character actually has a significant presence.. However, I will warn you, it is a horrifically Violent film even though it is about 50 years old

Thank you. I used to post largely about classic films under this name at the IMDb forums for about ten years. I miss discussing them. 

I've seen Brides, haven't seen Scars, but if all goes according to plan, this October I shall. I've watched all the Hammer Frankenstein films. They're not perfect and they vary widely in quality from film to film, but Peter Cushing always remained a delight as the good Doctor Frankenstein. I'm looking for a similar experience from the Horror of Dracula sequels.

• Like 1

During Dracula at my theater, a few of Lugosi's lines got unintended laughs. It wasn't that bad but it made me have to reevaluate some lines in the film, wondering, oh no, is this going to get a laugh? The worst was when a character falling down the stairs got a laugh, I suspect because the fall looked a little too controlled by modern standards.

Thank you. I used to post largely about classic films under this name at the IMDb forums for about ten years. I miss discussing them. 

in re: LUGOSI'S LINE READS. I also have had companions I was watching DRACULA 1931 with who laughed at some of his reads- most notably:

"we will be leaving to-morrow, eeeve-ning"

but really, when you think about it, the bizarre acting from Lugosi in the first scenes makes total sense.

if you pay close attention, you will notice that Lugosi's pronunciation becomes less odd and his line reads less "weeeeeeird" as the film progresses and honestly, I sometimes wonder if it wasn't intentional on the part of someone somewhere in the making of the film. think about it- DRACULA is essentially a ghost (he makes no hole in the cobweb he walks through), he has known no human companionship for centuries, he probably HAS NOT TALKED TO A LIVING PERSON, much less in a foreign tongue. so, Lugosi's ODDNESS and labored line reads in the CASTLE SCENES reads as a smart decision on someone's part- of course his pronunciations are labored and weird, he's not only speaking a new language, but he's not used to live people.

as, of course, DRACULA wanders through LONDON and observes, he learns to communicate as a human (moreso at least)

anyhoo, welcome to the Boards! it's not always lively here, but it's worth checking out from time to time as we get on some odd tangents and every now and then, you'll find out something interesting.

maybe not worth knowing, but interesting...

• Like 2

in re: LUGOSI'S LINE READS. I also have had companions I was watching DRACULA 1931 with who laughed at some of his reads- most notably:

"we will be leaving to-morrow, eeeve-ning"

but really, when you think about it, the bizarre acting from Lugosi in the first scenes makes total sense.

I think on a certain level the viewer just has to be open to classic film. Any little thing that's not acted or doesn't have the same effects a person thinks it would in a modern movie can be something to sneer at. You're going to have a few bad apples in a dark theater with dozens of people. That's why at the end of the day I suppose I prefer my own private screening room, aka my living room.

Lugosi does an amazing job. The man is Dracula. You could say all other screen vampires have been in his shadow if only he had one. His performance as Dracula, his mannerisms, his intensity, has been often copied never duplicated. 

• Like 1

This appears to be a scene cut out of Dracula's Daughter (no pun intended ... that white space at left occurred when I cut out an overlapping photo).

v9oJJ7S.png

Anyone notice Bob Hope's cameo as Count Dracula?

j4xCngl.png

Kee-RIPES!

Ed Wood's chiropractor bore a stronger resemblance to Bela Lugosi.

Marguerite Churchill, who played Janet, Otto Kruger's girlfriend, in Dracula's Daughter, is the mother of double bassist Orin O'Brien, the first woman ever to join the New York Philharmonic Orchestra. O'Brien, also the daughter of George O'Brien, joined the NY Phil in 1966 and is still an active member of the orchestra. (Otto Kruger was the grandnephew of South African President Paul Kruger.)

c994a8f971977d2a3a3258057437381a.jpgMarguerite Churchill (left), with Gloria Holden

https://nyphil.org/about-us/artists/orin-o-brien

• Like 2

Another Dracula's Daughter connection: Gloria Holden, who played the role, had been married to Hollywood scout/assistant director Harold Winston, who helped discover William Franklin Beedle Jr. In honor of his ex-wife, Winston renamed Beedle William Holden.

• Like 2

c994a8f971977d2a3a3258057437381a.jpgMarguerite Churchill (left), with Gloria Holden

one thing we can likely agree on in re: DRACULA'S DAUGHTER is that the fashion is HAUTE!

I love everything Gloria Holden wears in this, (even the burka)  there is not one moment in D'sD where she is not FASHION. (I love the subtle nods to Lugosi's cape in her collars....and there was one scene where she wears a beaded sash that was TDF...Plus, some people were just BORN to WEAR BLACK and she is one of those people.)

• Like 3

Hedda Hopper, who has a bit in Dracula's Daughter, reported that Gloria Holden "looked spooky" but knitted between scenes. Marguerite Churchill (speaking about Orin) said "can you imagine my daughter's surprise when she grows up to find that I took a day off from Dracula's Daughter to have her christened?"

As for Harold Winston, Gloria Holden sued him for desertion, claiming he would rather sleep with his dog than her.

Edit: What Holden actually said was "he had more affection for a dog than any woman."

• Like 2

FYI, DRACULA, SON OF and DAUGHTER Are all available on TCM on demand, at least where I live.

I re-watched some of the scenes from DAUGHTER Yesterday, especially the ending. If anyone gets a chance to check it out, I could not find out from the trivia section on IMDb, but it kind of looks to me like they use some sort of camera trick for the scene at the very end where Otto Kruger(so?) enters the castle on his way to find the women. I seriously doubt that they replicated the entryway set from the 1931 film for a 10 second shot at most. I wonder if maybe they used some sort of a trick where they put a still photo behind the camera, kind of like they did in the original DRACULA with the scene of the carriage heading towards the castle (The castle in the background is in fact sort of a matte painting on glass that was put over the camera when they shot the carriage in the foreground.)

And it's a shame that for whatever reason they didn't do the same thing with the Carfax Abbey set at the very beginning.

I have the Legacy Collection, which is great. It has Dracula (also the Spanish version); Dracula's Daughter, Son, and House; plus many other extras. Also the Philip Glass score to Dracula, as an alternate audio track.

I don't have the Blu-Ray, which I think came out more recently.

• Like 1

I have the Legacy Collection, which is great. It has Dracula (also the Spanish version); Dracula's Daughter, Son, and House; plus many other extras. Also the Philip Glass score to Dracula, as an alternate audio track.

I don't have the Blu-Ray, which I think came out more recently.

I have the Blu Ray. I just rewatched Dracula last week, and it was my first viewing of the HD version. It looks fantastic. The Blu Ray Legacy collection includes the Spanish language version, Dracula's DaughterSon of DraculaHouse of FrankensteinHouse of Dracula, and Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein.

I also upgraded my Frankenstein, Wolf Man, and Mummy Legacy sets to the Blu Ray, and will be watching them all again in the near future.

• Like 1

Yeah, rarely do I say this but- if you don't own the most recently restored version of this movie, you really are missing out. I think it's only been three or four years, but universal did a major restoration of a lot of their titles and it really is astounding the job they did with Dracula, not just the picture but also the soundtrack. Without that awful hissssssssing and popping that we all grew up hearing on the soundtrack, the dead silence in the early scenes is incredibly effective.