Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just watched a documentary, "The Making of The Brides of Dracula" on YouTube.  Good backstory of the backstory of the film.  If you haven't seen the film, there are numerous spoilers in the documentary.  A very enjoyable watch.

i know you LOVED that part about Martita Hunt going into a trance in her knickers in her dressing room.

(i certainly did.)

• Like 1

i was out of town this weekend and i missed HORROR/BRIDES OF DRACULA...Although i get the feeling they'll both be on demand (and it's not like i haven't seen each a score of times.)

i did watch this on youtube trying to fall asleep last night. it's got a few inaccuracies, and the host can be a little goofy, but it's not a bad way to kill 51 minutes and it's got A LOT of clips from NOSFERATU, HORROR OF DRACULA, the Louis Jourdan version, and MARK OF THE VAMPIRE (I don't think they could get the rights to show more than the real-art rerelease trailer for the 1931 version.)

about 90% of it is about Bram Stoker and the research he did when writing DRACULA.

I always say that- in spite of some faults- the novel DRACULA is something EVERY ASPIRING WRITER NEEDS TO READ as an example of how important AN AUTHOR'S JOB RESEARCHING A TOPIC must be in order to be successful (and it is.)

yay, BRIDES OF DRACULA showed up ON DEMAND.

I like this movie a little more every time I see it, and I concede right away that it's Hammer's Best Film...and i wonder sometimes if that's maybe because Christopher Lee was not involved

(from reading and watching Hammer docs, it ALWAYS seems to me as if Lee was- IRL- a TOTAL PAIN IN THE BUTT TO WORK WITH and I WONDER if some of his hoity-toity salary and possibly script and shooting demands did not ultimately reduce the DRACULA series at Hammer to a lot of captivating disappointments (ironically because his presence is often reduced). AND I GET THIS IMPRESSION LARGELY FROM LEE HIMSELF IN HIS OWN WORDS.)

BRIDES OF DRACULA may be the most fulfilling HAMMER HORROR FILM made- it's one where you could walk out of the theater and reasonably say you got your two-Bob worth (or whatever the Hell it cost to see movies in England in the fifties and sixties.)

a lot of the scenes in this really work and are quite effective- the first vampire girl rising from the grave as the deranged housekeeper to the Baroness cackles madly; the rising of the second vampire in the stables, with the horses kicking ominously (the best sequence in the film, IMO), and the wonderfully blocked and staged battles between Van Helsing and the vampire- I do not know which I love more, Peter Cushing in this movie or THAT FUR-LINED COLLAR on the coat he wears in this movie (and also HORROR OF DRACULA.)

When the Baron starts swinging that chain, this really becomes a film for everyone.

there was also- as i watched- a touch of mistiness on my part,

as this film reminds me greatly of my relationship with my two grandmothers...

MARTITA HUNT as HERR BARONESS reminds me of my Nana Forbes, who was a stately, handsome woman with a similar outlook when it came to child-rearing...

8401-2459-0.jpg

and the delightful FRIEDA JACKSON reminds me of my Grammy Hanson, who also used to throw herself on freshly-dug graves laughing deliriously for long spells- only in her case, it was because she had just outlived someone she really disliked.

God she was fun...

fredajacksoncushing+2.jpg

(I, of course, am David Peel in this equation.)

• Like 3

and the delightful FRIEDA JACKSON reminds me of my Grammy Hanson, who also used to throw herself on freshly graves laughing deliriously for long spells- only in her case, it was because she had just outlived someone she really disliked.

God she was fun...

I just discovered that I get TCM On Demand, but no Brides of Dracula. Just a small number of films, from Blacula to The Snake Woman.

Freda Jackson had a great classical career on stage. I saw her late in her career (1982), as Marina in Uncle Vanya, with Donald Sinden and Frances de la Tour.

• Like 1

I just discovered that I get TCM On Demand, but no Brides of Dracula. Just a small number of films, from Blacula to The Snake Woman.

Freda Jackson had a great classical career on stage. I saw her late in her career (1982), as Marina in Uncle Vanya, with Donald Sinden and Frances de la Tour.

i think this is the only film i have seen her in, but she was- clearly- a MARVELOUS actress.

her performance in BRIDES is possibly the finest performance in a Hammer film ever.

ps- the ON DEMAND listings seem to be different with cable companies and parts of the country. also, they will change the amount of selections  and the selections at the drop of a hat, sometimes (it seems) listing a film before it is available (my system said BRIDES OF DRACULA was available last night, but I was not able to access it til this morning.)

i think this is the only film i have seen her in, but she was- clearly- a MARVELOUS actress.

her performance in BRIDES is possibly the finest performance in a Hammer film ever.

ps- the ON DEMAND listings seem to be different with cable companies and parts of the country. also, they will change the amount of selections  and the selections at the drop of a hat, sometimes (it seems) listing a film before it is available (my system said BRIDES OF DRACULA was available last night, but I was not able to access it til this morning.)

I get my cable from Spectrum (Charter) and they told me that the networks determine what to offer ON DEMAND on their systems.  There are times when TCM does not have anything On Demand on Spectrum.

• Like 1

I get my cable from Spectrum (Charter) and they told me that the networks determine what to offer ON DEMAND on their systems.  There are times when TCM does not have anything On Demand on Spectrum.

i've been mostly lucky with TCM ON DEMAND, there's almost always been at least 6 titles available- SOMETIMES AS MANY AS 12 OR MORE- and I'd say about 60% of the time, there's something i'd watch (they do a good job about including underground or criterion films)

of late, all the horror movies have been ON DEMAND, so I have been thrilled.

...although I note that what claimed to be BLACULA on my ON DEMAND was, in fact, SCREAM, BLACULA, SCREAM.

5872-3.jpg

pretty sure this image is from HORROR OF DRACULA, but I'm 99.9999% sure Cushing wears the same coat in BRIDES. (I've seen in docs that he was a real stickler for wardrobe continuity, even maddeningly so.)

yeah sure, fur is murder whatever, but THAT COLLAR IS TDF.

10/10.

WOULD WEAR.

yay, BRIDES OF DRACULA showed up ON DEMAND.

I like this movie a little more every time I see it, and I concede right away that it's Hammer's Best Film...and i wonder sometimes if that's maybe because Christopher Lee was not involved

(from reading and watching Hammer docs, it ALWAYS seems to me as if Lee was- IRL- a TOTAL PAIN IN THE BUTT TO WORK WITH and I WONDER if some of his hoity-toity salary and possibly script and shooting demands did not ultimately reduce the DRACULA series at Hammer to a lot of captivating disappointments (ironically because his presence is often reduced). AND I GET THIS IMPRESSION LARGELY FROM LEE HIMSELF IN HIS OWN WORDS.)

BRIDES OF DRACULA may be the most fulfilling HAMMER HORROR FILM made- it's one where you could walk out of the theater and reasonably say you got your two-Bob worth (or whatever the Hell it cost to see movies in England in the fifties and sixties.)

a lot of the scenes in this really work and are quite effective- the first vampire girl rising from the grave as the deranged housekeeper to the Baroness cackles madly; the rising of the second vampire in the stables, with the horses kicking ominously (the best sequence in the film, IMO), and the wonderfully blocked and staged battles between Van Helsing and the vampire- I do not know which I love more, Peter Cushing in this movie or THAT FUR-LINED COLLAR on the coat he wears in this movie (and also HORROR OF DRACULA.)

When the Baron starts swinging that chain, this really becomes a film for everyone.

there was also- as i watched- a touch of mistiness on my part,

as this film reminds me greatly of my relationship with my two grandmothers...

MARTITA HUNT as HERR BARONESS reminds me of my Nana Forbes, who was a stately, handsome woman with a similar outlook when it came to child-rearing...

8401-2459-0.jpg

and the delightful FRIEDA JACKSON reminds me of my Grammy Hanson, who also used to throw herself on freshly-dug graves laughing deliriously for long spells- only in her case, it was because she had just outlived someone she really disliked.

God she was fun...

fredajacksoncushing+2.jpg

(I, of course, am David Peel in this equation.)

Excellent review. I've always thought this was the best of Hammer's vampire movies as well and I think Peter Cushing plays the best Van Helsing of them all.

• Like 1

not much going on, so i very casually watched HORROR OF DRACULA on TCM ON DEMAND.

Unlike BRIDES, I feel a bit more disappointed every time I see this one.

Granted, it's a film that has some strong marks for it in the plus column (the score mainly, but also the physicality of the leads- the blocking/stunts in the "battle" scenes is almost a cathartic response to the slow crawl and lack of real ACTION! in the 1931 original.)

but there's too much else about the movie that could/should be better, and it lags at the middle.

I also have to say that I really dislike Michael Gough in it. He is dull as dishwater and kind of stupid to boot. I guess he was supposed to be ineffectual and utterly useless in the script, but I don't see why he had to be boring as HELL in every scene he is in as well.)

I'd bet you fourpence that ten years after the events of HORROR OF DRACULA, Mina will take a good look at Arthur one evening as he's organizing his stamps and digging out a mound of earwax with his pinkie and WISHING TO HELL that Dracula had just finished shoveling the dirt on her that time he tried to bury her alive.

Have you had a chance to watch Return of Dracula 1958 with Francis Lederer? It played on TCM one Sunday and I missed the beginning, but saw it On Demand a few days later. Unfortunately, it was only on that one day, but it's a pretty good flick for that time period. And it's not a Hammer film.

Have you had a chance to watch Return of Dracula 1958 with Francis Lederer? It played on TCM one Sunday and I missed the beginning, but saw it On Demand a few days later. Unfortunately, it was only on that one day, but it's a pretty good flick for that time period. And it's not a Hammer film.

I have seen it and have to admit I do not much care for it. I have however seen from around the same time period, BLOOD OF DRACULA which honestly should've been called I WAS A TEENAGE VAMPIRE it was a carbon copy of I WAS A TEENAGE WERWOLF.

IT IS HILARIOUS!!!!

The VAMPIRE looks like a badger And there is an absolutely hilarious musical interlude seen.

I have seen it and have to admit I do not much care for it. I have however seen from around the same time period, BLOOD OF DRACULA which honestly should've been called I WAS A TEENAGE VAMPIRE it was a carbon copy of I WAS A TEENAGE WERWOLF.

IT IS HILARIOUS!!!!

The VAMPIRE looks like a badger And there is an absolutely hilarious musical interlude seen.

Is that the one where the teenage girl is hypnotized by a Grayson Hall look-a-like and she turns into a vampire?

• Like 1

Is [bLOOD OF DRACULA 1957] the one where the teenage girl is hypnotized by a Grayson Hall look-a-like and she turns into a vampire?

YES IT IS!!!!

I dunno if you were/are a big fan of MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000, but one of their best "experiments" was I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF- which was from the same people who made BLOOD OF DRACULA, which is a shameless retread of WEREWOLF, only with vampires and a gender switch.

I really hope some day RIFFTRAX gets their hands on this, it would be GOLD! there is a pretty funny lesbian subtext going on in this, and some of the dialogue is hilarious.

also:

BEHOLD, "TEEN DREAM" THAD SINGING HIS "HIT" "RECORD" "PUPPY LOVE" FOR THE GIRLS:

• Like 1

YES IT IS!!!!

I dunno if you were/are a big fan of MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000, but one of their best "experiments" was I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF- which was from the same people who made BLOOD OF DRACULA, which is a shameless retread of WEREWOLF, only with vampires and a gender switch.

I really hope some day RIFFTRAX gets their hands on this, it would be GOLD! there is a pretty funny lesbian subtext going on in this, and some of the dialogue is hilarious.

also:

BEHOLD, "TEEN DREAM" THAD SINGING HIS "HIT" "RECORD" "PUPPY LOVE" FOR THE GIRLS:

I am a huge, HUGE fan of MST3K. My fave is Horrors of Spider Island.

I've seen Blood of Dracula several times and yes it is a scream.

I am a huge, HUGE fan of MST3K. My fave is Horrors of Spider Island.

I've seen Blood of Dracula several times and yes it is a scream.

Not meaning to spoil anything, but Thad’s death scene is EPIC. I saw the movie online and for days after I was rewatching that part, it’s even funnier than Carradine getting clocked with the gun in BILLY THE KID...

I rather enjoyed it- but I'm not sure if it's just that I like Francis Lederer!

since BRIDES OF DRACULA is on TCM ON DEMAND, I've rewatched parts of it a few times (all apologies to you cinema purists who don't believe in watching some or all of a film in or out of sync.)

it's so much fun.

i could not help but think of what an intriguing companion film this movie makes to SUDDENLY, LAST SUMMER- which was released the year before, almost to a degree that one wonders whether the earlier film lit something of a spark in the scriptwriter for devising the clever premise of the latter.

both feature domineering, elegant wealthy Mothers with spoiled, adored, blond, only sons who are social outsiders, "confirmed bachelors"  with libertine tendencies; both have the premise of "luring" people as though on a hunt, "procuring" if you will...although the vampire Baron in BRIDES OF DRACULA seems drawn to the opposite sex (one gets the impression he could go either way though.)

i know the time for elegant, cloaked vampires has passed, but it would've been something to've seen BRIDES OF DRACULA reworked with an outright homoerotic text- an unholy union of the sorts between it and SUDDENLY, LAST SUMMER, the best parts of both movies coming together.

with, of course, Frida Jackson as Greta because she owns that role...

• Like 2

since BRIDES OF DRACULA is on TCM ON DEMAND, I've rewatched parts of it a few times (all apologies to you cinema purists who don't believe in watching some or all of a film in or out of sync.)

it's so much fun.

i could not help but think of what an intriguing companion film this movie makes to SUDDENLY, LAST SUMMER- which was released the year before, almost to a degree that one wonders whether the earlier film lit something of a spark in the scriptwriter for devising the clever premise of the latter.

both feature domineering, elegant wealthy Mothers with spoiled, adored, blond, only sons who are social outsiders, "confirmed bachelors"  with libertine tendencies; both have the premise of "luring" people as though on a hunt, "procuring" if you will...although the vampire Baron in BRIDES OF DRACULA seems drawn to the opposite sex (one gets the impression he could go either way though.)

i know the time for elegant, cloaked vampires has passed, but it would've been something to've seen BRIDES OF DRACULA reworked with an outright homoerotic text- an unholy union of the sorts between it and SUDDENLY, LAST SUMMER, the best parts of both movies coming together.

with, of course, Frida Jackson as Greta because she owns that role...

Lookit. Just how much rum are you adding to your Coke? I must admit I have no clue as to Suddenly. Why not pair Drac with The Great Gatsby?

Lookit. Just how much rum are you adding to your Coke? I must admit I have no clue as to Suddenly. Why not pair Drac with The Great Gatsby?

as a horror fan, you might really like SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER (1959) which is something of a horror movie (it has a lynching scene that has been compared to the one in BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, as well as murder, brain surgery, a sanitorium and a spooky old woman in a spooky old mansion with an overly devoted female servant.)

they also both feature mothers who were too permissive- and may even have been willing accomplices- in their son's "moral failings," both even going so far as to "lure in" unsuspecting "victims"

• Like 3