Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LornaHansonForbes

Welcome Home, Count Dracula.

as a horror fan, you might really like SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER (1959) which is something of a horror movie (it has a lynching scene that has been compared to the one in BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, as well as murder, brain surgery, a sanitorium and a spooky old woman in a spooky old mansion with an overly devoted female servant.)

they also both feature mothers who were too permissive- and may even have been willing accomplices- in their son's "moral failings," both even going so far as to "lure in" unsuspecting "victims"

I agree that there is a connection between SLS and the films you mention.     I place SLS in the same sub-genre as Psycho;  psychological thrillers.   There is horror there,  without any monsters.    

Clearly the endings where Violet completely loses it,  is similar to the ending in Psycho where Norman totally becomes mother.   I.e. both revert to a mental state that exposes the extreme depth of their psychological issues.

Have you had a chance to watch Return of Dracula 1958 with Francis Lederer? It played on TCM one Sunday and I missed the beginning, but saw it On Demand a few days later. Unfortunately, it was only on that one day, but it's a pretty good flick for that time period. And it's not a Hammer film.

The syndication title was CURSE OF DRACULA. Always a favorite on WNEW. Gerald Fried's score, based on Dies Irae, is terrific.

The syndication title was CURSE OF DRACULA. Always a favorite on WNEW. Gerald Fried's score, based on Dies Irae, is terrific.

That's were I always saw it. 10 am saturday mornings on good ol' channel 5 outta nyc. I have that fried score on CD, included also is his score to The Vampire.

I think his score to the flame barrier is lost. Gerald Fried is the only surviving of the original star trek TV series composers.

as a horror fan, you might really like SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER (1959) which is something of a horror movie (it has a lynching scene that has been compared to the one in BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, as well as murder, brain surgery, a sanitorium and a spooky old woman in a spooky old mansion with an overly devoted female servant.)

they also both feature mothers who were too permissive- and may even have been willing accomplices- in their son's "moral failings," both even going so far as to "lure in" unsuspecting "victims"

How come I haven't seen this? Well, I'll seek it out.

How come I haven't seen this? Well, I'll seek it out.

SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER airs from time to to time on TCM, and it has been on youtube in full on a couple of occasions, and it might still be.

SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER airs from time to to time on TCM, and it has been on youtube in full on a couple of occasions, and it might still be.

I know now why I haven't seen it. Two actresses in it I cannot stomach.

a great dracula double feature tonite, dracula, prince of darkness followed by dracula has risen from the grave.

awww...here's veronica carlson presenting christopher lee with a birthday cake.

CHOCpoVWsAAq3cw.jpg

but he decided not to bite into the cake.

3856c5ce4eada0d17b7294e3f16e2d2c.jpg

• Like 1