Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
PBRStreetGang

What About Jackie Chan?

I was a little disappointed to find Jackie Chan absent from the modern slapstick movie list.  Jackie is highly influenced from the likes of Harold LLoyd and Buster Keaton along with the comedy traditions of the Chinese Opera.

One of my favorite YouTube channels, Every Frame a Painting, has a great video entitled, "

", which discusses Jackie's unique form of slapstick comedy, which the host dubs, "Action Comedy".

Also, watch these video showing some of Jackie's homages to Buster Keaton and Harold LLoyd along with other classic films.  

And finally a youtube list of videos highlighting all the stunts in Jackie's career:  

• Like 8

I have to agree with you. I think Jackie Chan is an absolute master of martial slapstick. Thanks for sharing the YouTube info!

I have to agree with you. I think Jackie Chan is an absolute master of martial slapstick. Thanks for sharing the YouTube info!

Reply to Question from Drosera:  "Where did you find the "modern slapstick movie list" of which he was left off?"

I was referencing the TCM slapstick series coming up entitled, "Ouch! A Salute to Slapstick.  The last parts of the series look at slapstick in the 1970's, 1980's and beyond.  I was surprised to see that a Jackie Chan movie was not included in this list, so I wanted to bring it to the attention of other students interested in diving deeper into slap stick comedy.  If you look at the bottom of the page of this posting area, you will see a tagged reference to a post I made entitled, "Movie Schedule - TCM Presents: Ouch! A Salute to Slapstick".  This post has a link to the list of movies and it also has a link to my own list on letterboxd, which has even more information about each movie including links to articles and links to clips.

Reply to Question from Drosera:  "Where did you find the "modern slapstick movie list" of which he was left off?"

I was referencing the TCM slapstick series coming up entitled, "Ouch! A Salute to Slapstick.  The last parts of the series look at slapstick in the 1970's, 1980's and beyond.  I was surprised to see that a Jackie Chan movie was not included in this list, so I wanted to bring it to the attention of other students interested in diving deeper into slap stick comedy.  If you look at the bottom of the page of this posting area, you will see a tagged reference to a post I made entitled, "Movie Schedule - TCM Presents: Ouch! A Salute to Slapstick".  This post has a link to the list of movies and it also has a link to my own list on letterboxd, which has even more information about each movie including links to articles and links to clips.

Excellent point, Jackie has no doubt introduced many people to the art regardless of whether they made the connection. On a separate note; I also appreciate the PBR Street Gang reference, cool.

I was a little disappointed to find Jackie Chan absent from the modern slapstick movie list.  Jackie is highly influenced from the likes of Harold LLoyd and Buster Keaton along with the comedy traditions of the Chinese Opera.

One of my favorite YouTube channels, Every Frame a Painting, has a great video entitled, "

", which discusses Jackie's unique form of slapstick comedy, which the host dubs, "Action Comedy".

Also, watch these video showing some of Jackie's homages to Buster Keaton and Harold LLoyd along with other classic films.  

And finally a youtube list of videos highlighting all the stunts in Jackie's career:  

Thanks for sharing these -- I've never seen a Jackie Chan film but that "Every Frame a Painting" clip makes me want to see more.  Really interesting commentary on how he demands a still camera, which frames the space & helps us see the comedy and the fight -- unlike the quick editing style which is confusing.  We see the gags in silent films because they didn't use a lot of fancy camera movement and editing.  Also excellent evidence of the pauses for reaction and facial expression. And AMAZING stunts!

Any recommendation for which Jackie Chan film I should start with?

• Like 2

That was a really interesting take. The "Every Frame a Painting" bit was great. Heck, there even was a bit that reminded me of the Chaplin film we're discussing (A Dog's Life). I'm talking about the brief scene where he's fighting someone at a bar and slides under the bar "table" and back to hit him. It's pretty much the same principle as Chaplin's trapdoor.

I agree with this topic. I think Jackie Chan should be pronounced as "Slapstick Action Star". I liked him a lot in Rush Hour franchise. We should appreciate the fact that he's doing all the stunts in his movies at his own risk. 

post-60817-0-02885800-1473103111_thumb.jpg

post-60817-0-02885800-1473103111_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing these -- I've never seen a Jackie Chan film but that "Every Frame a Painting" clip makes me want to see more.  Really interesting commentary on how he demands a still camera, which frames the space & helps us see the comedy and the fight -- unlike the quick editing style which is confusing.  We see the gags in silent films because they didn't use a lot of fancy camera movement and editing.  Also excellent evidence of the pauses for reaction and facial expression. And AMAZING stunts!

Any recommendation for which Jackie Chan film I should start with?

I would try Police Story. It is one of his early Hong Kong films. My copy of the film is dubbed in English. If I remember correctly he even pays homage to Harold LLoyd by recreating the hanging from a clock hand scene. His early Hong Kong films have more traditional gags than his later work. He has stated that in the US that some of the stunts can be a little hampered by safety rules compared to Hong Kong.

Thank you so much for mentioning Jackie! I admit, he slipped my mind, but he is honestly one of my most favorite actors and not to mention comedians, I've always admired him for his love of doing his own stunts, he is one of the few actors that you can call truly devoted to his work. Also appreciate the links and sharing!