Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Prime Time Host FRI SEP 2

Film Friend

After the Robert Osborne intro music at 8:00 Eastern time, I saw a flash of a guy on screen, my picture went blank and then the same fellow returned with his introduction in progress about Bonnie & Clyde. Because of that, I don't know who the latest guest host is. Who is it, please? Thank you.

That's Michael Phillips, film critic for The Chicago Tribune and previously the host of TCM's September 2013 Spotlight called 'Future Shock'.

X9gFxwzV.jpg

As Robert Osborne's leave of absence continues, Phillips will be filling in on Friday and Saturday nights in September.

• Like 3

Since we all know these intros are recorded well ahead of time, I am disappointed that TCM chose to keep the guest host duties for September under wraps.  (I have seen nothing on the channel or TCM.com or the facebook page.)  I remember watching Michael Philips when he was joined by Tony Scott as the last hosts for the Siskel & Ebert descendant At the Movies, so I am also interested in hearing his take on the TCM films.  Thanks Barton for letting us know.

• Like 1

I had to take slight issue with one thing he said...

Maybe he was right, but as far as I was concerned.....

BONNIE AND CLYDE did NOT, as far as I could remember, "catapult" GENE HACKMAN into "stardom".  I remember seeing that film when it came out with a bunch of buddies, and some of us went back to see it a couple of more times.

We remembered MICHAEL J. POLLARD..and of course FAYE DUNAWAY, and we all recalled WARREN BEATTY from "Dobie Gillis", but Hackman's was a character we really paid no big mind to.  He didn't blow "full blast" into our consciousness until THE FRENCH CONNECTION, as far as I can recall.  It wasn't for many years until we saw some of his earlier work AFTER that when we began to realize his career preceded that movie.   

Same with the recently departed GENE WILDER.

Sepiatone

BONNIE AND CLYDE did NOT, as far as I could remember, "catapult" GENE HACKMAN into "stardom".  I remember seeing that film when it came out with a bunch of buddies, and some of us went back to see it a couple of more times.

We remembered MICHAEL J. POLLARD..and of course FAYE DUNAWAY, and we all recalled WARREN BEATTY from "Dobie Gillis", but Hackman's was a character we really paid no big mind to.  He didn't blow "full blast" into our consciousness until THE FRENCH CONNECTION, as far as I can recall.  It wasn't for many years until we saw some of his earlier work AFTER that when we began to realize his career preceded that movie.   

Sepiatone

Well, Hackman was Oscar-nominated for BONNIE AND CLYDE, so in that sense his performance elevated his stature in the film industry.

I took exception to something else Phillips said. I believe I heard him refer to Robert Benton as the director of BONNIE AND CLYDE, when in fact he was the screenwriter; Arthur Penn directed the film. It's possible I misheard, but if that is indeed what he said it's a rather obvious error.

your

Sepiatone

your argung with chicagos film critic?

Well, Hackman was Oscar-nominated for BONNIE AND CLYDE, so in that sense his performance elevated his stature in the film industry.

I took exception to something else Phillips said. I believe I heard him refer to Robert Benton as the director of BONNIE AND CLYDE, when in fact he was the screenwriter; Arthur Penn directed the film. It's possible I misheard, but if that is indeed what he said it's a rather obvious error.

You heard right.  I heard it too.

Sure, the Oscar nomination probably DID snare more offers for Hackman, but THAT doesn't actually always LEAD to "stardom".   Well, also in many cases, an Oscar WIN doesn't always lead to "stardom" either.  Ask F. MURRAY ABRAHAM and ADRIEN BRODY about that.

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings