Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

September 2016 Guest Host for Robert Osborne

Barton_Keyes

While Mr. Osborne's medical leave extends into its seventh month, Chicago Tribune film critic Michael Phillips will be filling in for the ailing TCM host on Friday and Saturday nights this September.

X9gFxwzV.jpg

Mr. Phillips previously hosted TCM's September 2013 Spotlight, called 'Future Shock'. He is the fourth in a series of guest hosts that TCM has called upon to substitute for Mr. Osborne, who is undergoing treatment for an ongoing illness. Previous guest hosts to date have been actress Madeleine Stowe, entertainment journalist Dave Karger, and musician/music archivist Michael Feinstein.

A friend who works as a segment producer at TCM has told me that they definitely expect Osborne to be back on-air sometime in late autumn or early winter. So at this point it's still a matter of when he returns rather than if.

• Like 1

Phillips and A.O. Scott of The New York Times were the last team of film critics to host "At the Movies," the Disney syndicated series that originally featured Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert. 

The Phillips and Scott version, which lasted one season (2009 to 2010), followed a hosting stint by TCM's Ben Mankiewicz and Ben Lyons.

AO-Scott-and-Michael-Phillips.jpg

Scott and Phillips

Just saw Michael Phillips host for the first time last night doing the intro to Escape from East Berlin and he's a HUGE improvement over last month's irksome Michael Feinstein who made my eye twitch during every segment I saw him do.

Looking forward to Phillips doing the rest of the month, hard to say at this early date but based on this I wouldn't mind seeing him become a regular host on the network. He was informative, concise and most importantly relaxed in front of the camera without the stiffness or overweening effort that a few have shown.

• Like 1

Michael Phillips has a nice, natural, conversational delivery. I wasn't familiar with him before but I like what I've seen thus far.

I used to watch Siskel & Ebert every week back in the day when I lived in Chicago. They sent me an "At the Movies" t-shirt when I wrote them a letter. They had said Hitchcock never won an Oscar and I wrote them that "Rebecca" won Best Picture so they were wrong and Miss Know-It-All - me - was right. They wrote back to me that, yes, "Rebecca" won Best Picture but Hitchcock himself never won a Best Director Oscar. Thanks for writing us and thanks for watching and here's a t-shirt for you.

• Like 2

Just saw Michael Phillips host for the first time last night doing the intro to Escape from East Berlin and he's a HUGE improvement over last month's irksome Michael Feinstein who made my eye twitch during every segment I saw him do.

Looking forward to Phillips doing the rest of the month, hard to say at this early date but based on this I wouldn't mind seeing him become a regular host on the network. He was informative, concise and most importantly relaxed in front of the camera without the stiffness or overweening effort that a few have shown.

Have to agree.  Nice change.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings