Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What was the name?

crn

I don't know if I agree;   Isn't Pinky about a white gal that passes herself off as black?     Oh, I'm not thinking about the actual plot but the choice of actress.     :wacko:

Sounds like VICTOR VICTORIA. Only in this case we have a white girl (actress Jeanne Crain) pretending to be black who's pretending to be white.

• Like 1

a

How about Imitation of Life (1959)

TCMDb page  HERE

Funny but I got so carried away with my silly joke about Pinky that I didn't realize that Imitation of Life (also the 1934 version), fits the original post a lot better.   In Pinky there is no mother but only a grandmother.    In IOL,  especially the 1959 version the pain felt by the black mother is a major part of the story (as well as a fine performance by Juanita Moore).

But the person who posted did reply saying it was Pinky.     Did she confuse mother with grandmother?  

In the early 50s there was a movie about a black girl who passed as white. When she grew up she realized what she had done to her mother.  Please, what was the name of this film? 

Sounds more like Imitation of Life. Pinky lived with her grandmother not her mother. The daughter lives with her mother in Imitation of Life.  In Imitation of Life, the daughter desperately wants to be white and passes for white. In the end she hugs her mother's casket crying hysterically knowing that she broke her mother's heart. There are 2 versions of Imitation of Life, the 1934 Claudette Colbert version and the 1959 version starring Lana Turner. Your description mentioning the mother is not Pinky but happens in Imitation of Life.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings