Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Western New York Movie Expo 9/8-9/11/16

midnight08

A new film festival will be starting later this week in Buffalo, New York. It's called the Western New York Movie Expo. It will be held at the Adams Mark Hotel and Event Center in Buffalo.

The festival will consist of rare silents and talkies, film shorts, documentaries and vintage TV shows. Go to their website at wnymovieexpo.wordpress.com for more information. They also have a facebook page.

As some of the long standing film festivals in Syracuse, NY and Massillon, Ohio have closed it's nice to see that a new one is being created.

I dunno.

Are they showing only stuff from private collections, or are they getting film from LOC, UCLAFA or anything restored? I have to admit, the handwritten application sent me (that included photos of other film festivals) was a bit of a downer.

I dunno.

Are they showing only stuff from private collections, or are they getting film from LOC, UCLAFA or anything restored? I have to admit, the handwritten application sent me (that included photos of other film festivals) was a bit of a downer.

I'm not sure where they're obtaining the materials. When I was emailing back and forth with one of the guys in charge of organizing

the event we didn't discuss the sources. But you gotta give them some latitude. It's their first event and the guy admitted there's a "lot of bugs to work out" in organizing such an undertaking.

I'm not endorsing them but I'm just glad there are some new festivals springing up as we've lost a number of them in the last few years.

we didn't discuss the sources. But you gotta give them some latitude

Agreed.

I only mention it because I've sat through enough "private collection" film that is shrunken, discolored and generally unwatchable that I won't go that route anymore. My old lady eyes have enough trouble as it is.

Believe you me, I was the one kicking & complaining over showing digital restorations at film festivals....but finally got past it once I realized that's the only restored format available. Not every studio or museum collection has negatives or offers clean prints.

Wouldn't the main issue be to SEE the film, regardless of HOW it was restored?  

I can watch a DVD at home.

For me, the main attraction is seeing a movie in a theater with others, as it was meant to be seen. If a silent, I enjoy it much more with live accompaniment. 

What I really love is seeing a screening of a newly struck print from the original negative. Still up to "interpretation", but visually superior to digital projection.

Besides, I am one of a small number of people who "see rainbows" whenever DVDs are projected on a screen. It hurts my eyes and generally results in a headache.

Film doesn't create that effect.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings