Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actor Hugh O'Brian (1925-2016)

jakeem

Actor Hugh O'Brian, who starred as the title character in the popular 1950s and 1960s TV Western "The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp," has died at the age of 91.

The series, based on the life of the legendary 19th-century lawman of the Old West, aired on ABC from from September 1955 to June 1961.

The program's opening theme song -- performed by The Ken Darby Singers -- was brief but memorable:

In the 1970s, O'Brian starred in the NBC adventure series "Search," which echoed the format of another program on the network -- "The Name of the Game." O'Brian alternated episodes with Doug McClure and Tony Franciosa (a NOTG alumnus). The trio played investigators for a high-tech corporation who -- thanks to audio and visual aids -- were always connected to a computerized home base supervised by a director played by Burgess Meredith. The series, which was launched as a TV-movie titled "Probe," only ran one season -- from September 1972 to August 1973.

O'Brian's film appearances included "Africa Texas Style" (1967) -- which inspired the short-lived Chuck Connors TV series "Cowboy in Africa" -- and "The Shootist" (1976). In the latter film -- John Wayne's final picture -- O'Brian's villainous character has a climactic shootout in a saloon with Wayne's title hero.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hugh-o-brian-dead-life-925736

• Like 4

I did not know about all this philanthropy as he usually made headlines with his playboy lifestyle; the character he played on that Perry Mason episode when he filled in for Raymond Burr seemed pretty close to the vest.  Glad to know there was another side to him. 

• Like 1

By coincidence I happened to watch The Fiend Who Walked The West last night.

RIP, but I can't let a Hugh O'Brian thread go by without mentioning the classic Hollywood cycle of stardom:

1. Who is Hugh O'Brian?

2. Get me Hugh O'Brian

3. Get me a Hugh O'Brian type

4. Get me a young Hugh O'Brian

5. Who is Hugh O'Brian?

• Like 1

To THIS "boomer", this is sad news indeed.  I grew up watching WYATT EARP, and can STILL sing all the words in the theme song. 

And you were KING OF THE BLOCK in my neighborhood if you had the toy replica of his famous long barreled pistol.

And I remember the HUGE disappointment felt when I finally saw an old photo of the real  Wyatt Earp.

Rest in Peace, Hugh.  You were and will be fondly remembered.

Sepiatone

• Like 2

I always thought that he was one of the "studliest" looking of all actors. I'm surprised he didn't make it bigger.

I saw the same thing as it relates to this looks (I.e. classic handsome all American male).

Typically when someone with those looks don't make it big as an actor, the reason is their ability as an actor.  

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings