Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Angela Lansbury is going to be on two episodes of next season's GAME OF THRONES. (Seriously.)

LornaHansonForbes

ps- to those of you unfamiliar with exactly what kind of show GAME OF THRONES is (and I admit i've never seen an entire episode myself) I both direct you to youtube for clips and snippets

AND

let you know, as a soupcon of what to expect: I have real doubts that there is a single clip of the show that I can safely post on this forum.

It is some HARDCORE sex and violence. An onslaught of full frontal nudity. Heads getting chopped off willy nilly. Graphic sex...

(have i sold you on it yet?)

ps- to those of you unfamiliar with exactly what kind of show GAME OF THRONES is (and I admit i've never seen an entire episode myself) I both direct you to youtube for clips and snippets

AND

let you know, as a soupcon of what to expect: I have real doubts that there is a single clip of the show that I can safely post on this forum.

It is some HARDCORE sex and violence. An onslaught of full frontal nudity. Heads getting chopped off willy nilly. Graphic sex...

LOL. I've never seen it, now I want to! :D

they actually had at last one gay (male) couple on the show, and while both got killed off (trust me, that's NOT a spoiler, EVERYONE gets killed off in this thing eventually...) they did not shy away from the depiction of them, you know, going there.

i think there is something called "honest trailer for GAME OF THRONES" I can't post it here for all kinds of issues, but it's a good humorous overview on youtube.

Yeah, I remember back in the 80's, when "HBO Original Drama Series" meant "Boob shots, you couldn't get anywhere else!"  Now it means everything else...

(And since most of them weren't as good as Not Necessarily the News, Fraggle Rock or Adventures of Tintin, who cared?)

And leaving aside that I don't get HBO (or HBO Now, since I cut the cable), I don't subscribe to the whole "Game of Thrones Channel" mania that's supposed to distract us from the fact that studios won't send HBO real movies anymore.

And frankly, my surprise was that Angela Lansbury was still alive--She's been off camera for a while now, that I can recall, and she was slowing down a bit when she used to appear as Disney's corporate symbol of 90's-Renaissance ex-"Beauty & the Beast" classiness.

Think I'll just play a game of solitaire, instead.   :lol:

• Like 3

I wonder if Ms. Lansbury will have any nude scenes.

Lol. Good for her for appearing in GoT. My husband watches this show every week (well he does when it's on during its short yearly run) and has read all the books (I understand that they're almost done filming all the material written in the books and George RR Martin is still writing the next book). He couldn't think of who Angela Lansbury would be portraying. Maybe she'll be Peter Dinklage's evil and very tall grandmother. Lansbury's been off screen for awhile, I believe she's been on Broadway. She's 90 and still appearing in theater. You go Jessica Fletcher!

Speaking of 90, Cloris Leachman is also 90, and she just signed on to appear in "American Gods," a series based on the popular Neil Gaiman novel.

It makes me happy to see nonagenarians like Angela, Cloris, and Betty White still working.

• Like 1

AND

If he was still alive, the High Sparrow would not be pleased with your comments.

• Like 1

AND

Yes, it has all of those things. Got seems to offer something for everyone. But there is more than just sex and violence. It also offers great acting and riveting dialogue. It has the highest standard of production values, great scenery (astonishingly good, they travel everywhere) and many story lines, some that are punched more than others, great CGI segments (thankfully their budget doesn't allow them to overdo it) and they are working with fantastic material. The universe of Westeros and all that goes on is a masterpiece of conception by the author of the books. All the characters, all the places, all the histories, all the fascinating little details, a marvel of creation. It makes Der Ring des Nibelungen a nursery rhyme in complexity.

The show was highly criticized early for the nudity and have actually toned it down in the last couple of seasons. The violence can be quite graphic but it works given the setting, a Middles Ages kind of world where such things would likely occur. There's a true-to-live quality to it without which the show would be diminished. I don't care for violence but I am certainly not offended by it here. (except for the sequences with Greyjoy)

But It has its share of problems too, the usual suspects. Story line decisions that makes suspension of judgement difficult, for example. But they don't ruin it. The show should get a lot of credit for attempting this story at all. Ten one-hour or less episodes per season. That's not much time.

I need to see the last four episodes of Season Six. I just ran across a spoiler in a previous post so I can't come here until I get to see t he end (something touching upon the High Sparrow, although I'm not surprised.)

Give it a few episodes and see. If you get hooked you have a long commitment ahead.

• Like 3

Yes, it has all of those things. Got seems to offer something for everyone. But there is more than just sex and violence. It also offers great acting and riveting dialogue. It has the highest standard of production values, great scenery (astonishingly good, they travel everywhere) and many story lines, some that are punched more than others, great CGI segments (thankfully their budget doesn't allow them to overdo it) and they are working with fantastic material. The universe of Westeros and all that goes on is a masterpiece of conception by the author of the books. All the characters, all the places, all the histories, all the fascinating little details, a marvel of creation. It makes Der Ring des Nibelungen a nursery rhyme in complexity.

What a great write up!

I can believe the thing about the acting- episodic television (and netflix and web series) have really gotten to be where the GOOD ACTING is happening, as movies- who already are at a time-constraint when it comes to character development- continue to be more visual and less character and actor-driven, TV HAS GOTTEN TO BE WHERE SOME MARVELOUS ACTING IS.

case in point- I've watched more of THE WALKING DEAD than I ought to- overall, I have some issues with it, but the acting is not one of those things, there is some very good acting going on on that show.

(and from the GoT clips I have seen, the acting (especially from that Dinklage guy) seems really good.)

although the chick with the dragons in the bad wig hasn't impressed me yet...granted i've only seen 15 or twenty minutes of the show in clips...

• Like 3

Lol. Good for her for appearing in GoT. My husband watches this show every week (well he does when it's on during its short yearly run) and has read all the books (I understand that they're almost done filming all the material written in the books and George RR Martin is still writing the next book). He couldn't think of who Angela Lansbury would be portraying. Maybe she'll be Peter Dinklage's evil and very tall grandmother. Lansbury's been off screen for awhile, I believe she's been on Broadway. She's 90 and still appearing in theater. You go Jessica Fletcher!

Speaking of 90, Cloris Leachman is also 90, and she just signed on to appear in "American Gods," a series based on the popular Neil Gaiman novel.

It makes me happy to see nonagenarians like Angela, Cloris, and Betty White still working.

Wow. I didnt realize Cloris was that old. I saw her a couple years ago on Betty's Hot in Cleveland (that also had MTM and Valerie Harper) and she looked great. More like 60 than 90! They all looked great except for MTM who looked very frail and didnt move. :(

For those who complain about Hollywood, GoT is a good representation of the fact that dramas have moved back to T.V. There are quite a few around to watch (too many really to keep up with really  :lol:  ).

For me its not so much the violence, nudity but, that its a fictional middle ages. Those sorts of things happen in those days. I detest censorship so if you are to show me middle ages, let it be as it was, as close as it can get.

Wow. I didnt realize Cloris was that old. I saw her a couple years ago on Betty's Hot in Cleveland (that also had MTM and Valerie Harper) and she looked great. More like 60 than 90! They all looked great except for MTM who looked very frail and didnt move. :(

Yes I saw that episode. Unfortunately MTM's diabetes have ravaged her in recent years. I believe she's almost blind at this point (which is probably why she was already seated when she appeared on screen on 'Cleveland').

Yes I saw that episode. Unfortunately MTM's diabetes have ravaged her in recent years. I believe she's almost blind at this point (which is probably why she was already seated when she appeared on screen on 'Cleveland').

Yes, I know. It's very sad. I doubt she'll be making any public appearances again. :(

Game of Thrones caught up to the books in the Song of Ice and Fire series by the end of season 5. This past season, number six, was 95% all material that has not appeared in the books.

Before work began on this past season, the two showrunners had a sit-down with George R.R. Martin about where the series was headed in a general sense. It had become obvious that Martin would not complete and publish the final two novels in the series before the TV show would conclude, so they mapped out an ending that Martin approved, but won't actually match up with what will eventually be in the finished books. Martin answered some of the big questions, like who is related to whom, and who ends up on the throne at the end, but all of the details were left up to the showrunners to create for the show.

There was a lot of grumbling that the writing in this past season was not up to par, and the blame was placed on there not being a pre-published "blueprint" for the showrunners to follow. They won back most of the naysayers with 2 of the best episodes of the series later in the season, though. I tend to be an apologist for things that I like, but I would even say that something was lacking for the first several episodes last season.

They have announced an end to the series, to conclude with season 8 in 2018. The remaining two seasons will be shorter, though, with the next, season 7, being only 8 episodes, and season eight only running 6 episodes. Plus, the next season won't premiere until later in the year, not until next summer, instead of the usual spring start-date.

As for the acting accolades, they are definitely deserved. The quality of the performances helps tremendously toward keeping all of the characters straight, since there are perhaps more than in most any other TV show. They recently received SIX acting nominations for the next Emmys.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings