Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Latest TCM Backlot Perk!

lydecker

Did anyone catch "Ball of Fire" on Sunday? Well, I only caught the last 30 minutes or so but, much to my surprise, at the end of the film when one assumed that we would return to Ben wrapping up with a pithy comment or two we had a special surprise!! A "TCM Backlot Guest Commentator," who was, of course, of a desirable age, not one of those icky OLD (over 40) people, who passed along her "sage" views regarding the film. Ben Mankiewicz dealt with the whole thing like the pro he is though there were times when he looked a wee bit nauseous.

Not going to make any specific comments on the "insights" provided by said TCM Backlot Guest Commentator (who was not physically on the set but was, instead, delivered to us via a Skype-esque feed) since I know what will happen to the thread if I say anything even mildly critical but I did wonder if others got a chance to see this.

Lydecker

Yes, I forgot to post about that. Backlot members were introducing the films all day that day (not sure if it extended into primetime) I think it was on Labor Day? Or  maybe it was on Sunday.  They talked to Ben online. I caught a few of them. I still wont join! Have no desire to appear on tv for my 5 mins of fame.......(LOL) I'm sure they have to pick from some list, like the guest programmers do. What's happened to guest programmers? I dont think I've seen one all summer. Are they waiting on RO's return? (wonder when that will ever be???)

• Like 2

Did anyone catch "Ball of Fire" on Sunday? Well, I only caught the last 30 minutes or so but, much to my surprise, at the end of the film when one assumed that we would return to Ben wrapping up with a pithy comment or two we had a special surprise!! A "TCM Backlot Guest Commentator," who was, of course, of a desirable age, not one of those icky OLD (over 40) people, who passed along her "sage" views regarding the film. Ben Mankiewicz dealt with the whole thing like the pro he is though there were times when he looked a wee bit nauseous.

Not going to make any specific comments on the "insights" provided by said TCM Backlot Guest Commentator (who was not physically on the set but was, instead, delivered to us via a Skype-esque feed) since I know what will happen to the thread if I say anything even mildly critical but I did wonder if others got a chance to see this.

Lydecker

I saw her. It was weird. She's was saying intelligent things, but her manner of speaking made her sound like a bimbo.

Yes, I forgot to post about that. Backlot members were introducing the films all day that day (not sure if it extended into primetime) I think it was on Labor Day? Or  maybe it was on Sunday.  They talked to Ben online. I caught a few of them. I still wont join! Have no desire to appear on tv for my 5 mins of fame.......(LOL) I'm sure they have to pick from some list, like the guest programmers do. What's happened to guest programmers? I dont think I've seen one all summer. Are they waiting on RO's return? (wonder when that will ever be???)

So, this was going on all day?  Interesting.  Too bad for the commentators that they got their moment in the sun on a holiday weekend. Viewership had to be be pretty low.  Perhaps that was the plan . . . 

Hibi--it was on Sunday.

About the outro to "Dracula" (1931) and the intro to "The West Point Story" (1950); the fellow who did the outro to Dracula seemed to know what he was talking about and was pleasant to listen to.  The lady who did the intro to "The West Point Story" seemed overwhelmed by being on camera--Ben Mankiewicz ended up telling about the film.  In her defense, TWPS was pleasant fluff.  

• Like 1

So, this was going on all day?  Interesting.  Too bad for the commentators that they got their moment in the sun on a holiday weekend. Viewership had to be be pretty low.  Perhaps that was the plan . . . 

Yes, at least during the daytime. Unsure if it started at 6AM or continued into the evening. I only caught a couple of intro/outros. The woman for West Point Story and the outro for the film before and the intro/outro to Out of the Past after. I was busy, so didnt watch much of it. The guy for Out of the Past was good, but scary looking! ( LOL) Hope he's not a poster here after I wrote that! :D

Yeah, no doubt that was the plan! LOL.

• Like 1

Hibi--it was on Sunday.

About the outro to "Dracula" (1931) and the intro to "The West Point Story" (1950); the fellow who did the outro to Dracula seemed to know what he was talking about and was pleasant to listen to. 

His name was Eric Muhl and his father worked at Universal under Carl Laemmle Sr. His father brought home films for the family to watch, including Dracula.

• Like 2

I tuned in while a lovely woman was talking about West Point Story ( a film I love and have mentioned on the bds over the years) ) thought she was very intelligent and interesting. She's an actress and had worked with Theresa Wright and Morgan Freeman. She did an excellent job and Ben seemed charmed by her.

Good to know that some of them did a good job.

Do you think many of the folks who post here a lot are Backlot members? We know none of the Canadians are, because they are restricted by law to participate. 

I haven't gotten the impression that many of us are Backlot members . . . I can only speak for myself but it's not the $87 that turns me off as much as the fact that I really don't buy (no pun intended) the "Oooh, you can have something to do with the TCM decision making process" pitch they are using for yet one more promotional money grab.

I tuned in while a lovely woman was talking about West Point Story ( a film I love and have mentioned on the bds over the years) ) thought she was very intelligent and interesting. She's an actress and had worked with Teresa Wright and Morgan Freeman. She did an excellent job and Ben seemed charmed by her.

Her name is Leah Maddrie, and she is from Brooklyn. She worked as a dresser for Eartha Kitt. She mentioned her father had a crush on Brenda Joyce (good choice).

• Like 3

Do you think many of the folks who post here a lot are Backlot members? We know none of the Canadians are, because they are restricted by law to participate. 

What it means is people who paid $87 got something that thousands of posts here didn't. The world is all about money, it's the same in politics. Access costs money. They could pull the plug on this message board tomorrow but money talks.

What it means is people who paid $87 got something that thousands of posts here didn't. The world is all about money, it's the same in politics. Access costs money. They could pull the plug on this message board tomorrow but money talks.

They could also decide one day to pull the plug on the Backlot if they feel it's not working to TCM's advantage. The message boards help the channel. Using these boards for the on-going partnership with Ball University means they have a platform to bring more people to TCM each year.

I tuned in while a lovely woman was talking about West Point Story ( a film I love and have mentioned on the bds over the years) ) thought she was very intelligent and interesting. She's an actress and had worked with Teresa Wright and Morgan Freeman. She did an excellent job and Ben seemed charmed by her.

I caught the outro to OUT OF THE PAST.

The TCM Backlot member seemed quite knowledgeable and I didn't pick up on any "nauseous" vibes from Ben Mankiewicz.

In fact, the exchange was very friendly just as the one that lavenderblue describes. 

• Like 1

They could also decide one day to pull the plug on the Backlot if they feel it's not working to TCM's advantage. The message boards help the channel. Using these boards for the on-going partnership with Ball University means they have a platform to bring more people to TCM each year.

The backlot brings in money, this only brings in headaches and spam. If TCM got another call for cost-cutting, I can give you two guesses which one would go, and it wouldn't be the backlot.

PS They shut down the TCM Classic Film Union already, so no money in means first to go out. And the wine club, that brings in money. it would also outlast this message board if it came down to cuts.

A message board like this is very expensive. The moderators cost a lot even if they sit at home in their underwear, the website hosting and design costs a lot. With no revenue from it that even offsets the costs this is the reality they may face in the future. There are only about 25 people who do more than 5 posts a day, so all this for 25 people. That isn't even a blip on a rounding error.

• Like 1

Then again, it could just be Warner/TCM trying to copycat what Disney was doing with D23, and since Disney sort of scaled back on that after it wasn't doing much besides pricey event meets and an expensive print magazine...

• Like 1

The backlot brings in money, this only brings in headaches and spam. If TCM got another call for cost-cutting, I can give you two guesses which one would go, and it wouldn't be the backlot.

PS They shut down the TCM Classic Film Union already, this can go at any time. I bet they wish they had charged $25 for the Inner Circle, lol.

I want to be riding it when it goes down - like Slim Pickens.

PS They shut down the TCM Classic Film Union already, so no money in means first to go out. And the wine club, that brings in money. it would also outlast this message board if it came down to cuts.

A message board like this is very expensive. The moderators cost a lot even if they sit at home in their underwear, the website hosting and design costs a lot. With no revenue from it that even offsets the costs this is the reality they may face in the future. There are only about 25 people who do more than 5 posts a day, so all this for 25 people. That isn't even a blip on a rounding error.

Posting an online schedule doesn't bring them any revenue either, Does this mean it would disappear so they can sell more copies of Now Playing..? Some things are going to generate revenue and other things are provided because they encourage loyalty to the TCM brand. This message board right now is bringing a lot of new people to TCM through the online comedy course with Ball. Those people register, post and branch out to other products and services TCM offers.

It would seem alarmist to suggest TCM will drop the message boards at a moment's notice, when there has never been any indication of that ever having been considered by the higher-ups. 

• Like 1

She had the vocal fry thing going pretty seriously.

As you had said earlier, what do you expect from a desirably aged, (not icky over 40) person?

What it means is people who paid $87 got something that thousands of posts here didn't.

OIC, now the crazy obsession with "post counts" clarifies: you think someone who posts here a lot is "noticed" and considered an authority by those in charge at TCM?

I think just the opposite-anyone who posts here a lot (including myself) is just an average schmo with a pedestrian opinion. 

His name was Eric Muhl and his father worked at Universal/She's an actress and had worked with Teresa Wright and Morgan Freeman/worked as a dresser for Eartha Kitt

When considering someone to comment on broadcast TV, I would choose those with some old Hollywood connection like the above statements over an internet poster. Plus, experience speaking to an audience is a wholly different thing from typing.

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings