Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

CHILD STARS, LONG GONE, NOT FORGOTTEN!

rayban

JACKIE "BUTCH" JENKINS -

in just about anything - he only made 11 movies in his short film career - but especially his starring role in "My Brother Talks To Horses" -

when his mother realized that the rigors of filmmaking were too much for him, she took him out of the business -

but, thanks to his legacy, he can always be enjoyed in his so very young prime - 

he was totally REAL and totally CHARMING.

• Like 2

I was just thinking about something like this---

There WERE many "child stars" back in those "golden era" days, but not many I can think of in recent times.  But since I rarely(if ever) go to the movies these days, ARE there any child actors that stand out and get the recognition of a "child star"?

The last two or so I can think of were

MACAULAY CULKIN  and DAKOTA FANNING.  and maybe HALEY JOEL OSMENT

For some reason, I don't include the OLSEN TWINS.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I was just thinking about something like this---

There WERE many "child stars" back in those "golden era" days, but not many I can think of in recent times.  But since I rarely(if ever) go to the movies these days, ARE there any child actors that stand out and get the recognition of a "child star"?

The last two or so I can think of were

MACAULAY CULKIN  and DAKOTA FANNING.  and maybe HALEY JOEL OSMENT

For some reason, I don't include the OLSEN TWINS.

Sepiatone

The last one that I can think of is Asa Butterfield from Martin Scorcese's terrific film, "Hugo".

But today these kids seem to grow up so fast.

Years ago, "child stars" like Margaret O'Brien and Jackie "Butch" Jenkins had a huge studio behind them - MGM - that nutured their careers.

Even, a bit later, Walt Disney gave so many opportunities to young Tommy Kirk in a way that he could never, ever be forgotten.

Today, I would think that young actors like Asa Butterfield would have a much tougher time of it.

But I wouldn't say that the day of the "child star" is gone.

ASA BUTTERFIELD -

NEJjZH2x2IdnMQ_1_b.jpg

Judith Barsi (1978-1988)

H7qVLda.jpg

She is best known for her voice roles in two of Don Bluth's animated pictures, which include Ducky in The Land Before Time and Anne Marie in All Dogs Go to Heaven, which was completed one year after her untimely death. She was one of two victims of a murder/suicide by her father, the other victim being her mother. She was 10 years old.

According to IMDB, she was also in Jaws: The Revenge (the fourth one), Slam Dance, and Eye of the Tiger.

• Like 1

Judith Barsi (1978-1988)

H7qVLda.jpg

She is best known for her voice roles in two of Don Bluth's animated pictures, which include Ducky in The Land Before Time and Anne Marie in All Dogs Go to Heaven, which was completed one year after her untimely death. She was one of two victims of a murder/suicide by her father, the other victim being her mother. She was 10 years old.

According to IMDB, she was also in Jaws: The Revenge (the fourth one), Slam Dance, and Eye of the Tiger.

I've recently made a post about her. What a sorry excus for a human her father was.

JACKIE "BUTCH" JENKINS -

in just about anything - he only made 11 movies in his short film career - but especially his starring role in "My Brother Talks To Horses" -

when his mother realized that the rigors of filmmaking were too much for him, she took him out of the business -

but, thanks to his legacy, he can always be enjoyed in his so very young prime - 

he was totally REAL and totally CHARMING.

One of the reasons his movie career ended was because he developed a stuttering problem...so he was unable to recite his lines the way the studio wanted. He was interviewed for the book 'The MGM Stock Players' which was written in the 1970s. He was living down in Texas at the time, and he hadn't done anything in show business since he left MGM.

I agree that he seemed like a real kid on screen. There was something very natural about him. 

• Like 2

One of the reasons his movie career ended was because he developed a stuttering problem...so he was unable to recite his lines the way the studio wanted. He was interviewed for the book 'The MGM Stock Players' which was written in the 1970s. He was living down in Texas at the time, and he hadn't done anything in show business since he left MGM.

I agree that he seemed like a real kid on screen. There was something very natural about him. 

Jarrod, I also like him in "The Bride Goes Wild" with Van Johnson and June Allyson.

And he and Margaret O'Brien were unforgettable in "Our Vines Have Tender Grapes".

I am sorry that his career didn't last longer, but I am very grateful for those 11 films.

• Like 2

Jarrod, I also like him in "The Bride Goes Wild" with Van Johnson and June Allyson.

And he and Margaret O'Brien were unforgettable in "Our Vines Have Tender Grapes".

I am sorry that his career didn't last longer, but I am very grateful for those 11 films.

When TCM did a Private Screenings with child stars, Margaret O'Brien was included. Osborne asked her about working with Jenkins, and she did not have nice things to say. He probably pulled her hair a few too many times!

• Like 2

When TCM did a Private Screenings with child stars, Margaret O'Brien was included. Osborne asked her about working with Jenkins, and she did not have nice things to say. He probably pulled her hair a few too many times!

Jarrod, I would like to know about the dynamic that might have occurred between her and Dean Stockwell on the set of "The Secret Garden", which turned out to be her last MGM film.

Jarrod, I would like to know about the dynamic that might have occurred between her and Dean Stockwell on the set of "The Secret Garden", which turned out to be her last MGM film.

Yeah, I wonder if she got along with him. It's been awhile since TCM has aired the Private Screenings episode on child stars, but I don't remember them discussing her work with Dean Stockwell in THE SECRET GARDEN. One thing I do recall is she complained about the time she had to spend in the MGM schoolhouse, which is where she and the other children working at the studio were taken to study when they weren't needed on set. She did not like the teacher and all these years later, she was still upset about it. 

• Like 1

Baby Peggy, a star in the 1920s is still with us. So are Rose-Marie and Jane Withers. Margaret O'Brien is also still alive.

The 1910s and 1920s also boasted Jackie Coogan and even June Havoc in films. Most of the 30s kid stars are gone: Mickey Rooney, Judy Garland, Shirley Temple, Freddie Bartholomew, Jackie Cooper, Mitzi Green, Sybil Jason, Marcia Mae Jones, the Our Gang kids.....

• Like 1

Don't forget Ann Gillis, who will soon be 90, most famous for her scream scene as Becky Thatcher in Selznick's "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer".  I remember being mesmerized by that scene watching the movie on TV as a kid.

TCM need to show this one so the song Tomorrow won't be heard.  (blame the Entreso commercial for ruining it) :angry:

annie-1.jpg

Don't forget little Bobby Blake, who had a very long acting career, and a very troubled life.

blake.jpg

He was probably the most prolific of the child stars. In the 1940s, he appeared in 37 shorts and 46 features. Even more remarkable when you realize he only had one credit in '48 and he took 1949 off (probably to catch up on his schooling). So he worked a lot in an eight-year period. Plus he has other credits from the late 30s and early 50s, when he was still quite young.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings