Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So Who Gets Turned On By Men In Drag?

TomJH

Now that I have your attention . . .

Any favourite drag act performances?

Here are a couple of my favourites, one film funny because he's not convincing, in the other, two actors that do create an illusion (to a comedy degree, that is):

ca74b2c781e377888b0dfc3f8dec318d.jpg

Robert Preston's parody of Julie Andrews at the end of Victor Victoria

somelikeithot_063pyxurz1.jpg

The most famous drag act tandem of them all: Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon in Billy Wilder's Some Like It Hot

May not quite be what you're looking for, but here is my favorite "drag" scene - Stan Laurel in "Another Fine Mess" (this is the funniest scene of the entire short):

nlwvly.jpg

I always liked a later Stan Laurel drag performance, as a Southern dowager, in 1943's JITTEREBUGS.

I realized I was attracted to beautiful femenine women dressed in mannish attire as a teenager, when I stared at the picture sleeve of a single by British New Romantic group Visage, "The Damned Don't Cry".

In classic films, I guess Marlene Dietrich best exemplified this trend. However, there is a funny scene in the film IT HAPPENED TOMORROW (1944), where Linda Darnell dons Dick Powell's double-breasted chalk-stripe suit, to get out of her wet clothes. She is seen sneaking into her room, and causes a scandal, as family and neighbors think a man has snuck into her room.

The comic rule is that bad amateurish drag by unconvincing comics ISN'T funny--It's borderline misogynistic, coming from the same "what's with those dames anyway?" resentment we saw in the postwar 40's and 50's, or even possibly a few general social issues toward women in general whenever bad black comics do it.

It's sort of the uglier version of the reason why drunks legendarily thought putting a lampshade on their head was funny.

However, the rule also states that good reasonably convincing drag by characters who for various plot reasons don't WANT to do it, like Jack Lemmon, Cary Grant and Dustin Hoffman (just so they're not one of those, you know, like Tyler Perry) can be funny, because the character is stuck in a humiliating situation he can't get out of, and is doing his hardest effort to keep up with the situation even when he wishes he didn't have to.

Adam Sandler in "Jack & Jill" isn't funny, Jack Lemmon trying to get through to Joe E. Brown is.

(And, of course, Bugs Bunny goes in drag because he's richly exploiting the fact that Elmer Fudd is dim enough to fall for anything.)

Robert Preston's parody of Julie Andrews at the end of Victor Victoria

Errr, yeah...Throw in "The Pink Panther Strikes Again", and there's a LOT of drag in Blake Edwards movies, at least enough to make you seriously wonder. 

(And frankly, if they had done that stalled movie of the Broadway "La Cage Aux Folles" that went through one insane casting idea after another before they gave up, Blake Edwards probably had the right style that he could have done it, if V/V hadn't been there first.)

• Like 1

I recently watched an episode of Tales from the Crypt with Tim Curry playing a poor farmer, the farmer's wife, and the farmer's daughter!

While I can't say I'm the biggest fan of Tales From the Crypt, I can say that I love Tim Curry.  He's amazing.  

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings