Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Major Fault Of Penn's BONNIE AND CLYDE ...

Palmerin

... is that the clothes of Dunaway, her hair and makeup, and the hair of Beatty, Hackman and Pollard are pure 1960s fashions that have nothing to do with those items as depicted in the many 1930s movies that TCM broadcasts.

'tis absolutely exasperating how film makers consistently allow themselves to be deceived by the standards of beauty and fashion of their own time periods! Even BARRY LYNDON, a movie that works extra hard to present an accurate image of the 18th century, is ruined by the fact that its leading lady, Marisa Berenson, totally looks like a 1970s playgirl who chooses to go to the disco dressed up in 18th century petticoats.

• Like 1

I find the female hairstyle anachronisms very jarring every time I have watched "Anne of the Thousand Days".  Most of them just scream late-1960s.  I guess that decade was the most guilty of this type of inconsistency in terms of makeup and hairstyles.

• Like 2

i only recently saw BONNIE AND CLYDE for the first time, and then I watched it for the second time this week (on Friday?) as part of the Hackman SOTM.

I liked it a lot better the second time, ALTHOUGH (and I think the same thing happened after the first time i saw it) I went and looked up the "real story" of Bonnie and Clyde (at least the wikipedia version) and they missed out on some chances to make it better.

(ie, the undertaker played by Gene Wilder was actually "kidnapped" and released by the gang, in real life Bonnie (who was not offended or spooked by his profession) said to him "maybe you'll be laying me out some day soon" and- sure enough- when she died, he was called to id and then embalm her body.)

they also got a lot of the Estelle Parsons character wrong too.

the-bonnie-parker-story.jpg

Dorothy Provine starred in The Bonnie Parker Story in

1958, a low-budget AIP flick. No more factual than the

1967 flick. I've heard about it but have never seen it.

Cigar smoking hellcats. Yeah, got to keep an eye on

them.

LOL!!! Would love to see this one..........

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings