Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Classic films on Amazon Prime

Figured it might be helpful to have a thread which lists classic films currently available on Amazon Prime. Some of these air on TCM but many do not. 

I will list them alphabetically. 

If/when titles leave, I will make a note of it. And also when new ones are added, once the initial list is posted.

Thanks.

• Like 2

Thanks...that'll be great when,,,,, they can ever figure out why those of us that have the tcm app on prime amazon fire tv (which I do have to insert here that I was beyond thrilled to see it come...been watching this since it started on cable !!! ) back to problem. Several of us are having this & no one can seem to help us. I open the app...comes on pretty as a picture...click on the movie I wanna watch...hit watch now...buffers a few seconds then up pops a box saying    Error

An error has occurred

ok

There isn't anything telling us why,  what to do, who to contact. Can someone please help us???

Thanks so very much.....     

Thanks...that'll be great when,,,,, they can ever figure out why those of us that have the tcm app on prime amazon fire tv (which I do have to insert here that I was beyond thrilled to see it come...been watching this since it started on cable !!! ) back to problem. Several of us are having this & no one can seem to help us. I open the app...comes on pretty as a picture...click on the movie I wanna watch...hit watch now...buffers a few seconds then up pops a box saying    Error

An error has occurred

ok

There isn't anything telling us why,  what to do, who to contact. Can someone please help us???

Thanks so very much.....     

Not sure about any of this. But there is a technical issues section at the bottom of the main page where someone may be able to assist you in solving the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the list..there were some I hadn't noticed on prime before. I never erase my list, and saw a few I had watched that maybe you might like to add to your list: His Double Life, Misbehaving Husbands, Murder at Midnight, One Body Too Many, Behind Office Doors, The Kennel Murder Case.

I also noticed that some of them..and not necessarily great ones, that I saw are now no longer included in prime..like So This is New York, Young and Willing, A Tragedy at Midnight..and several more..I really don't understand their thinking..I know some of them can be found on other sites, including YouTube. It looks like half my list has become non-prime.

As a roku user, I'm still waiting for the tcm app--still using a tablet to mirror on demand to roku when I want to see them on a big screen.

• Like 1

Thanks for the list..there were some I hadn't noticed on prime before. I never erase my list, and saw a few I had watched that maybe you might like to add to your list: His Double Life, Misbehaving Husbands, Murder at Midnight, One Body Too Many, Behind Office Doors, The Kennel Murder Case.

I also noticed that some of them..and not necessarily great ones, that I saw are now no longer included in prime..like So This is New York, Young and Willing, A Tragedy at Midnight..and several more..I really don't understand their thinking..I know some of them can be found on other sites, including YouTube. It looks like half my list has become non-prime.

Thanks for the feedback. I figured there were a few I had missed. SO THIS IS NEW YORK and A TRAGEDY AT MIDNIGHT are controlled by Paramount, and at the end of August, most of the Paramount and Republic titles became non-Prime. 

Thanks for the feedback. I figured there were a few I had missed. SO THIS IS NEW YORK and A TRAGEDY AT MIDNIGHT are controlled by Paramount, and at the end of August, most of the Paramount and Republic titles became non-Prime. 

Would that be because Paramount plans to move them to the Paramount Vault channel on YouTube?

Would that be because Paramount plans to move them to the Paramount Vault channel on YouTube?

A very strong possibility-- but they make money having them on Amazon, too. I guess we will see what happens in the months ahead.

• 3 weeks later...

A few more classic films have been added on Amazon Prime:

THE GREAT RUPERT (1950)..I checked the first few minutes of this yesterday and it's a very good print. There are various public domain copies, but select the recently added one from Egami Media.

IN OLD CHEYENNE (1941)..the folks at Paramount (who control Republic Pictures titles) have added this beautifully restored Roy Rogers B western.

ISLAND IN THE SKY (1953)..Paramount has also added one of its own titles with this classic offering starring John Wayne.

THE MYSTERY MAN (1935)..an early Monogram mystery with Robert Armstrong. Added by MGM, which controls all Monogram output.

THE PINK PANTHER (1963)..the original classic with Peter Sellers and David Niven. This United Artists picture was added by MGM.

TOPPER RETURNS (1941)..another film in the public domain, so beware of inferior copies. A new print added recently by Starry Night Video looks pretty good.

I've updated the list of all titles now available on Amazon Prime:

http://topbilledinhollywood.blogspot.com/2016/07/pics.html

• 4 weeks later...

A few more classic films have been added on Amazon Prime:

THE EYES OF THE MUMMY (1918)..An early Ernst Lubitsch film starring Pola Negri (the first of several European collaborations between them). The print quality is not great but it is acceptable; at least the whole film survives.

ROMANCE ON THE RANGE (1942)..the folks at Paramount (who control Republic Pictures titles) have added this beautifully restored Roy Rogers B western. I watched it last night and it's a lot of fun.

KING OF THE COWBOYS (1943)..I am not sure if it's been restored. The print quality is just okay. Roy Rogers works with Smiley Burnette, instead of Gabby Hayes, in this one.

DARK WATERS (1944)..a United Artists release directed by Andre De Toth. It's a gothic noir set in the Louisiana bayou with Merle Oberon in the lead role. Franchot Tone is the love interest, and Fay Bainter plays an aunt who may not be all she seems. Highly recommended.

REPEAT PERFORMANCE (1947)..a stunning film noir from the folks at Eagle-Lion with an all-star cast. Joan Leslie is a Broadway actress who shoots her despicable husband (Louis Hayward) on New Year's Eve. She is then given a chance to relive the past year, to see if it will all turn out differently.

I've updated the list of titles now available on Amazon Prime:

http://topbilledinho...16/07/pics.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's the first of the month, which means a few more classic films have been added on Amazon Prime:

BETSY ROSS (1917)..An early Alice Brady film. She plays the title character in this charming historical biopic.

HEARTS OF HUMANITY (1932)..Jean Hersholt stars in this precode drama that was made by an independent studio called Majestic. It doesn't seem like a poverty row picture at all, and it's been properly restored for us to enjoy.

PEOPLE'S ENEMY (1935)..a typical gangster film, starring Preston Foster. What classic film fans will find interesting is the fact it's Charles Coburn's very first motion picture, at age 58. He plays the judge during the trial scenes. Originally, Coburn was ninth-billed, but when this film was shown on television in the 50s, a new opening was created making him third-billed.

INVISIBLE ENEMY (1938)..a well-made Republic programmer starring Alan Marshal. He didn't appear in a lot of films, and this is one of the first where he has lead billing. He never looked better.

THE RANGER AND THE LADY (1940)..Another Roy Rogers classic, made before he hooked up with Dale Evans. Gabby Hayes plays the sidekick.

THE RAMPARTS WE WATCH (1940)..a very unique feature film, released by RKO. The studio's newsreel department has put several short films together that underscore the idea America may soon enter the war. Highly recommended!

SANDS OF IWO JIMA (1950)..a Republic 'A' picture. John Wayne earned his first Oscar nomination for his work as the lead in this classic war film. It's nice to see Paramount leasing it to Amazon.

STRATEGIC AIR COMMAND (1955)..the third of three films starring James Stewart and June Allyson. This aviation flick was made at Paramount, and Stewart's frequent director Anthony Mann is at the helm. The picture is sometimes broadcast on the Retroplex and Movieplex channels but in a pan-and-scan version. The folks at Paramount have made the widescreen version available on Amazon Prime.

I've updated the list of titles now available on Amazon Prime:

http://topbilledinho...16/07/pics.html