Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mrsl

Paint Your Wagon

One of my favorites, not for the story but for the music. I love a male chorus and there is plenty of it in this one. Also Harve Presnells' Maria is so stirring. Even Clint singing Elisha is by no means good, but pleasant since he admitted at the time he wasn't a singer. Finally, Lee Marvins' gravelly voice was perfect as a miner, a trained singer would not have carried it off. I'm glad they didn't dub any of it.

Anne

Have to disagree about this musical. This is one of a series of films adapted from Broadway musicals that was screwed up by director Joshua Logan. Other screwups include CAMELOT and SOUTH PACIFIC. Presnell certainly has a good voice, but only had that one song to sing, but all the other actors should have been dubbed. Would prefer to listen to the B'way cast album.

I TOTALLY agree with you!! Logan was OK with straight films-especially, I thought with "Picnic" but he couldn't direct a musical on film to save his life. I wonder if this had to do with his lack of medication for his manic depression. Seriously.

Camelot is, without a doubt, the worst musical film I have ever seen. Wasn't there a TV production with the original cast (or was that just excerpts?). I'll take that one.

"Camelot" was excerpted on the Ed Sullivan show. Prior to that, the show was running out of its advance sale after largely negative reviews. After the Sullivan show, there were lines around the block.It's a shame. I think it has a lovely score. I think some adaptations fall under the heading " What were they thinking?" Case in point: Lucy in "Mame." What a performance Lansbury would have given. Too late now.

I don't care what anyone says, this movie is a lot of fun! That's all that matters to me. The not so great singing actually kind of adds to the fun for me. Clint Eastwood really wasn't that bad at singing IMO.