Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Montserrat

MY COUSIN RACHEL will air on AMC Tue., Jan. 16 2007 at 4:15 AM / EST.

Fans of Olivia de Havilland and Richard Burton: this movies does not air on TCM because it is not in their library. It?s also not out on Home Video (VHS or DVD). If you wish to watch it, now it is your chance.

This movie is a must-see for Burton's performance. He just burns up the screen whenever he is in a scene.

As for the other one - not a favorite of mine. I can tolerate her because of her co-star. I never found her anything but matronly and stagey in anything she was in, with the exception maybe of "The Snake Pit."

I inadvertently sent a reply to myself so this message

should be erased. I don?t know how.

Message was edited by:

IrmaMSQ

Hi jdb, I don?t know about My Cousin Rachel since I haven?t seen the movie yet but in general, I like Richard Burton as much as I like Olivia de Havilland. I?ve liked her in all the movies she has acted, e.g. The Heiress -- she is excellent; Gone with the Wind (both Oscar performances, first a win, second a nomination); Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte; Not as a Stranger; Light in the Piazza; Strawberry Blonde; etc. I also haven?t seen ?To each his own? for which she also won an Oscar, neither I?ve seen ?Sneak Pit? for which she won an Oscar nomination. She must be doing something right. Look forward to seeing My Cousin Rachel.

To end the note, Olivia de Havilland is something that we definitely don?t have in common. However, we both live in Brooklyn, New York and that we have in common. :-)

The movie is definitely worth seeing. However, I think de Havilland is not exactly seductive or particularly convincing in it. Burton is much too strong a screen presence for her - I don't get any chemistry at all from them. Ava Gardner or someone of that caliber would have been a better match.

It's all entirely subjective, isn't it? I've never liked de Havilland or Joan Fontaine - they just don't speak to me. I'm not that crazy about Ava Gardner, either, but she had a much stronger presence than the two just mentioned, and a strong presence is what's needed when you're onscreen with Richard Burton.

I like Ava Gardner very much, completely different personalities with Olivida de Havilland. I like Joan Fontaine in Rebecca but otherwise not particularly.

You might be right about not there being chemistry between Olivia de Havilland and Richard Burton. I?ll know better when I have seen the film. Richard Burton has a strong personality and usually he plays aggressive roles. Olivia de Havilland on the contrary, plays more quiet and subdue roles and gives subtle performances. They both have quite different personalities but in my opinion, they are both very good actors. Richard Burton?s best co-star has always been Elizabeth Taylor. There you have two strong actors who give/play ferocious performances/roles. But yes, everything is relative and after all all is in the eye of the beholder.

Message was edited by:

IrmaMSQ

Message was edited by:

IrmaMSQ

It's too bad that it will be interrupted by commercials, but as you say, it's still worth watching. A real classic in the "gothic romance" manner. The ending is often productive of much discussion afterward.

It deserves to be on dvd.

Miss G

I can't bear to watch anything with commercials... Color me SPOILED by TCM!!!

But I agree about Olivia D.; she was quite fresh and pretty in Robin Hood and even still in GWTW, but "matronly" says it all; best paired w/ the "bloodless" Ashley W.

AMC...ugh. Refuse to watch stations that interrupt their movies with dozens of commercials. I would wait for the film to turn up on FMC. That's where I saw MY COUSIN RACHEL this year. I know FMC will run the film again.

I?ve been looking forward to seeing this movie for a long time. I don?t have the Fox Movie Channel, only family cable. I am happy enough that AMC will air it.

As for the commercials, there is a solution. You can record the movie (at the time that it will be broadcasted we all will have to, unless you are a night owl) and then edit it in your PC or your hard drive DVD recorder. If you don?t have the latter, you can also record and skip the commercials when you watch. At the time the movie will be aired, commercials will probably be kept to a minimum time. The movie is 98 min long and it will be shown into a two hours slot.

Message was edited by: IrmaMSQ to clarify about recording and skipping commercials.

Olivia de Havilland being ?matronly? should not have a negative connotation, if that is what you meant to imply. There is a gentle and sweet but firm ladylike grace about her that often featured her as royalty.

It is supposed to be a great movie.

I?ve kept a copy of a summary of excerpts from reviews, which I?ve used more than once when suggesting the movie from TCM -- until I found out that they couldn?t show it because it was not part of the films in their library. Yah, yah, they might rent it, but who knows when that will be. In the meantime, I think it is worthwhile watching it in AMC, even with commercials. My summary goes like this: ?Hitchcock?s style film, based on a Daphne du Maurier's suspense, riveting romance novel. Won 4 oscar nominations for best costume design, for art direction-set decoration as well as for Richard Burton?s intense, dramatic role.

Bl/wh cinematography was also nominated -- it creates a rich gothic atmosphere with seascapes. Excellent score by Franz Waxman, who also wrote the music for another du Maurier classic, Rebecca. Wish they still made movies like this.

Do not miss it.? Hah, hah, I thought I could convince TCM to show the film but got tired of waiting.

It's a great Gothic romance. And contrary to what another poster said, Olivia de Havilland and Richard Burton have excellent chemistry together. Both give very vivid performances and Burton in no way overpowers her.

I hope you watch it. You'll love it.

I was fortunate to tape it when it was on AMC without commercial interruptions several years ago before AMC changed their policy and have watched it frequently. Excellent performances and the right amount of mood and atmosphere, with a wonderful score by Franz Waxman.

Neil

Thank you so much for posting this! I personally appreciate it, as I'm a really big fan of Olivia de Havilland and absolutely love this movie. I actually have a really old copied off TV verson of it. But like I said...it's really old. Very, very bad sound, and the picture quality is rough. I've watched it about 5 times and I know I still haven't caught all the dialogue, lol.

Anyway, so yeah, this is good news for me. I always wondered why TCM would never play "My Cousin Rachel." Now I know. Thank you again for sharing this with us!

Sharon

Thak you for your reply Sharon. I am glad my post has been an inspiration to Olivia de Havilland and classic movie fans.

I also did not know until not too long ago that TCM cannot show a lot of movies that are not in their library and that they don?t have rights to (for details about this subject, read Swithin?s message posted on Olivia de Havilland?s thread). I?ve therefore started to be on the alert for classic movies shown on AMC (usually between 2 am and noon or early pm) by checking their schedule for the current month and the following month. Like in TCM, you can also search for a movie by typing its name in the search box.

You and everyone else might be interested to read my updated message previous to my last, where I make a suggestion about how to skip commercials -- a real nuissance, we all agree, but it shouldn?t be a reason not to watch/record the movie, if you?ve never seen it.

Some food for thought: I just bought a Panasonic DVD player/recorder with a 200 gb hard drive. From now until Jan 16 when MCR will show, there is enough time for everyone interested to buy one (if interested and able to buy), and start practicing recording and editing commercials. :-)

Message was edited by:

IrmaMSQ

null

You and everyone else might be interested to read my updated message previous to my last, where I make a suggestion about how to skip commercials -- a real nuissance, we all agree, but it shouldn?t be a reason not to watch/record the movie, if you?ve never seen it.

Though I absolutely hate commercials, and never watch them, I might be able to accept them on AMC, but they also edit several minutes (or more) out of each film they show. That I don't accept. Pure blasphemy! Thank you TCM (and to a lesser degree, IFC, who has been showing some great foreign films of late) for being the last of the commercial-free (and unedited) channels.

Tks. I?d like to make clear that I only recur to AMC to be able to see movies that otherwise I?d never be able to see because of what I?ve already explained.

Nobody likes interruptions by commercials, I also don?t watch them.

I hope this time AMC doesn?t cut or time-compress the movie. Given that the movie is 98 min long and they have two-hrs slot to show it, I hope that the remainder 22 min left gives them enough time to air commercials without having to edit any minutes. However, if they do edit some minutes, I rather watch a trimmed version than ever watch it at all, that?s how I feel.

Have you seen in IFC the wonderful Spaniard movie classic ?The Spirit of the Beehive.? It premiered on TCM in the summer time but who knows when they will show it again.

AMC commercials are the worst!!! Good Lord! I remember when AMC played nothin but classics. Now....I think they should take the "c" off the end of their name. lol. BTW "Gothica" comes on AMC tonight at 8:00PM EST (released in 2003) lol.

Have you seen in IFC the wonderful Spaniard movie classic ?The Spirit of the Beehive.

Actually, I've seen parts of it several times on IFC while channel surfing. IFC got so bad with the game shows, series, and awards shows the last couple of years that I stopped looking at their schedule altogether several months ago. I've been in shock the last few weeks seeing all the foreign classics on there. I'll have to go to their website to download their schedule again if they're going to show good movies again.

Which one? :-) My Cousin Rachel or The Spirit of the Beehive?

By the way, if you like My Cousin Rachel, now or after you?ve seen it, you may vote for it to be released on DVD on the TCM page.

Nice poster of Ana Torrent & sister when The Spirit of the Beehive was released in 1973:

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=351

Picture? clips of Ana Torrent in another classic ?Cr?a Cuervos?(Raise Raven) 1976, nominated for a Golden Globe & other 6 wins & 2 nominations. With Geraldine Chaplin as her mother:

http://www.youngactressreviews.org/reviews/cria_cuervos/images.php?from=review&shot=1

Message was edited by: IrmaMSQ

Following below is feedback posted by AMC to FAQ.

Why did AMC add commercials?

By adding advertising to our schedule, AMC generates additional revenue that enables us to provide a broader range of movies and original programming to our viewers. AMC carries among the fewest commercials per hour of any basic cable channel.

Does AMC edit movies for content?

Yes. Like most advertiser-supported networks, AMC edits programming for certain "objectionable" content, including nudity and offensive language. As a national network available on basic cable, AMC adheres to standards that will be acceptable to the majority of our viewers, our sponsors and our cable and satellite affiliates. Whenever possible, the movie studios provide us with TV-ready versions of their movies designed to be acceptable to most TV networks.

Why did AMC change its format from airing older classic movies?

In October, 2002, AMC changed its format from a classic movie channel to a broader-based movie network to appeal to a larger audience, including younger folks. We have refreshed our movie library to add some newer titles to the mix, but still feature a wide range of movies.

Please mark your calendars of the airing of the subject movie. This is a movie that you won?t be able to see in TCM because they don?t have it in their libraries so this is a chance of your life you will have to see this film in AMC.

As stated before RACHEL is a film that runs on FMC with no commercials. If you have this cable channel I would wait for them to schedule it again rather than sit through an endless amount of commercials. I suppose one could tape the film and fast forward to get through those commercials.