Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hoskeebo

I thoroughly enjoyed Max Linder's film, "Seven Years of Bad Luck".  In all the scenes, all the gags, I could see Charlie Chaplin in the same role.  The gags were innovative and I remembered the mirror gag on I love Lucy with Lucy and Harpo Marx.  The chestnuts (or whatever they were) reminded me of Marlon Brando in The Godfather.  Even Max Linder's spinning around on one leg is so reminiscent of Chaplin.  It's hard to know who copied whom.  I laughed out loud which is not easy to do these days.  Great films!

• Like 1

I’m afraid we’ve seen and heard all that we’re going to see and hear of Max Linder.  Seven Years Bad Luck was pretty much it; but we’re fortunate to have had that delightful film aired.  If you missed seeing this film on September 6, it will be available on Watch TCM until the 14th.

BTW: Chaplin openly acknowledged having been inspired by Linder, referring to Max as “The Professor”.

• Like 1

A company called Kino-Lorber (https://www.kinolorber.com/) released a DVD called Slapstick Symposium: The Max Linder Collection. The DVD includes four Max Linder films.

I actually found it in my local library system.

I haven't watched any of the films yet. But based on the comments on this thread, I'm already looking forward to seeing them.

There's a 1980s documentary about Max, produced and narrated by his daughter, Maude.  It's called "Max Linder:  The Man in the Silk Hat", and is on YouTube, in 4 parts.

YouTube has many of Max's surviving films (though most of his 500 or so films are lost), including his first, "Debuts d'un Patineur" ("Max Learns to Skate").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9ex3_NUZs0

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings