Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Grand Slam / Loretta young

I was unaware of the showing of this movie on Monday morning, June 30, until it was too late. I am a bridge player and really was interested in wathcing and recording this movie. I have looked everywhere to secure a copy or to determine when it will be run again. However, it has not been released to DVD or VHS and I cannot find any scheduled running of this movie again. If anyone has recorded it, I would be very excited if you were willing to make a copy for me. I would be happy to send a blank tape and money for postage, or make arrangements to have it copied at a business and mailed to me from there. Thanks for any ideas someone may have for me.

I caught this on the tail end of my tape the other day. I don't have the capability to copy it for you but I have no trouble mailing you the tape for you to copy it (I'll pay for priority shipping). In order for this to stay within the law I would only ask for a tape trade. Do you have any silent's or pre-code movies you could make a copy for me? Please let me know. Thanks

• 12 years later...

The Loretta Young movie that I most want to see is MIDNIGHT MARY.

I missed it the last time TCM aired it.

Watching her in precode films is always fun, knowing the wholesome  image that would later become her trademark.

Her precode movies that I've seen are EMPLOYEES' ENTRANCE and TAXI! 

• Like 1

The Loretta Young movie that I most want to see is MIDNIGHT MARY.

I missed it the last time TCM aired it.

Watching her in precode films is always fun, knowing the wholesome  image that would later become her trademark.

Her precode movies that I've seen are EMPLOYEES' ENTRANCE and TAXI!

Loretta Young in her precode days has been a revelation to many here on the boards. Her later image, prevalent with people who grew up seeing her on her tv show, prepare little for the beautiful young Loretta, sexy and game. Amazing, and amazingly beautiful.

Did Loretta Young once have a TV series?

Yeah.  THE LORETTA YOUNG SHOW in the '50's.  Used to like watching it when I was a kid.  She'd sweep in through a door each episode wearing a different fabulous gown each time.  MAD magazine once did a parody of that entrance in which Young's gown gets caught in the door and then gets torn off, leaving her there in only her underwear.

In almost each epeisode, which was always a different story, she'd often appear in them  as either the lead character or as support.

My father in law didn't like her, and always called her "Cow Eyes".

I thought she was lovely.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Yeah.  THE LORETTA YOUNG SHOW in the '50's.  Used to like watching it when I was a kid.  She'd sweep in through a door each episode wearing a different fabulous gown each time.  MAD magazine once did a parody of that entrance in which Young's gown gets caught in the door and then gets torn off, leaving her there in only her underwear.

Thought so. I have a vague memory from childhood of seeing it on the old blond wood Admiral set that was our first TV..

• Like 1

I don't recall seeing it first run, but several months ago a marathon was on one of the stations that shows old TV series.  I wasted an entire Saturday glued to the set, missing my chores.  She was undeniably glamorous on that show, playing a teacher, housewife, missionary, whoever.  I read somewhere that when in syndication she required that the entrances with the gowns be excised, so that she would not be viewed as wearing dated fashions.  (This is my first post, but I have been reading with enjoyment and education for some time!)

• Like 6

I don't recall seeing it first run, but several months ago a marathon was on one of the stations that shows old TV series.  I wasted an entire Saturday glued to the set, missing my chores.  She was undeniably glamorous on that show, playing a teacher, housewife, missionary, whoever.  I read somewhere that when in syndication she required that the entrances with the gowns be excised, so that she would not be viewed as wearing dated fashions.  (This is my first post, but I have been reading with enjoyment and education for some time!)

Welcome Roy. I also binge-watched an afternoon of episodes awhile back, on MeTV, I think. Quite enjoyable, as I had rarely seen any episodes (although I had a few on dvd sets of 50s anthology series).

• Like 1

Yes, welcome Roy!

I remember her come swishing in through French doors and had those great full skirts that were popular in the 50's. Not a style that ever looked good on me, but she always looked great. She married designer Jean Louis late in life.

• Like 1

Nice first post, Roy.

Thanks, Roy, for a great first post.

I've never seen any episodes of Loretta Young's TV series, but now I want to.

She was Marlo Thomas's godmother. In a tribute to Loretta Young that she recorded for TCM, Marlo Thomas talked about how much Loretta Young loved discussing fashion and character costumes and how Loretta provided encouragement and tips when Marlo was starting her own TV series THAT GIRL. Loretta Young even  let her personal designer create Marlo's costumes for the first season of THAT GIRL.

BYfHc2YIEAAZXB3.jpg

• Like 2

Looking at her list of films, it says "uncredited" Arab child in 1921's THE SHEIK. Wow I bet she was a gorgeous "cow eyed" little girl! 

I loved her in early roles MAN'S CASTLE '33 and CALL OF THE WILD '35 (the one that got her in "trouble") she was still very young and kind of vulnerable. By time she got to THE BISHOP'S WIFE she was far more composed and confident.

I never got to see any of her TV shows, hopefully a retro TV station like GET-TV will start showing it. Nice picture Holden, she certainly aged well.

But my favorite movie roles of hers are RACHAEL & THE STRANGER '48 and CAUSE FOR ALARM! '51

• Like 1

TCM has shown a silent film that a fifteen year old Loretta starred in with Lon Chaney called "Laugh Clown, Laugh".  If they show it again, I highly recommend it.  The next year, in 1929, Loretta and her sister Sally Blane appeared in the "Sister Act" musical number in an early talkie all-star revue called "The Show Of Shows".  Check out this clip:

• Like 3

Looking at her list of films, it says "uncredited" Arab child in 1921's THE SHEIK. Wow I bet she was a gorgeous "cow eyed" little girl! 

I loved her in early roles MAN'S CASTLE '33 and CALL OF THE WILD '35 (the one that got her in "trouble") she was still very young and kind of vulnerable. By time she got to THE BISHOP'S WIFE she was far more composed and confident.

I never got to see any of her TV shows, hopefully a retro TV station like GET-TV will start showing it. Nice picture Holden, she certainly aged well.

But my favorite movie roles of hers are RACHAEL & THE STRANGER '48 and CAUSE FOR ALARM! '51

It may have been the Decades channel. They devote weekends doing marathons of old tv shows (it changes every week) AntennaTv or some similar channel devoted a day a few years ago on her 100th birthday with an all day marathon of her tv show. The one son and his wife had brief interviews between the shows....

• Like 1

Did Loretta Young once have a TV series?

She had two. The successful one ran 7 or 8 years in the 50s where she played different parts each week. The show was cancelled (story was that NBC was tired of the preachiness aspect) and Loretta,  miffed, moved to CBS the next year with a situation comedy. That only lasted a season. She retired after that but returned to tv much later to make 2 tv movies. (in the 80s or 90s).

• Like 1

Thought so. I have a vague memory from childhood of seeing it on the old blond wood Admiral set that was our first TV..

It ran in syndication for years.

I liked Loretta in "The Stranger" with Orson Welles, but I always had one question.  How could someone who was seemingly so intelligent, be taken in so easily by such an egotistical creep?  Apparently it does happen in real life.

I caught Midnight Mary for the first time last year.

As precodes go, this film didn't strike me as gritty like Three On a Match, provocative/challenging like Baby Face, and I wasn't as emotionally involved by the fate of the lead actress as with Frisco Jenny.  The sexy Ricardo Cortez as a gangster is always fun to watch, though.  :)

I don't have time to write out the full plot, but basically Mary Martin is on trial for murder, and her life is told in flashbacks.  The ending is pure Hollywood.  Franchot Tone is kind of bland, but I liked Una Merkel.  (Joan Blondell would have been great in Una's role...)

• Like 1